1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

a trade that works for $ purposes, but what about the team?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nero, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Nero

Nero Member

Ok, I am ready to get beat up about this, but here goes anyway..

With all the talk about the Rockets' biggest need being a backup 2 (or even better a good swing between 2 and 3), I was looking through the stats for last year, and throwing different names against the wall at RealGM.

I was surprised by one name that was ranked pretty highly defensively, as well as offensively and in # of games played. Penny Hardaway played in 80 of 82 games last year.. I had thought he was going to be forever injury-prone. And he ranks higher in defensive stats than anyone on the Rockets roster. He used to be a pretty darn good player, and it seems like he managed to get some of that back last year. He's still a good assist man.

And according to RealGM, a trade for him would work, straight up for MoT and Rice.

The idea intrigues me, but I am not totally sure if it would be a good idea.

Sending MoT and Rice away would free up EG for the main time at the 4, and KT would be able to stay and continue to improve. Rice's starting spot would go to Hardaway, and Nachbar can play in a rotation along with Mobley, because Hardaway can play the 2 as well.

So in that respect, I think it works for us.

For Phoenix, my understanding is they are so desperate to unload him and his monster contract, I get the feeling they would do this deal.

Yes, Hardaway has a big nasty contract. But it's not worse than Rice's, it's just longer.

My thinking on that was during the whole deal with Rashard. Hardaway will be done and gone in 4 years. And then the Rockets have that money to spend how they like. Rashard being here would likely cost the team over 100 mil over the next 9-10 years. So how bad really would Penny's contract be in comparison to that, in the long run? Especially if Boki turns out to be a player they need to keep and pay, not to mention Ming and EG.

Real question for me is, how is he regarded in the locker room, and team-chemistry-wise? I know he can play, but would he be good or bad for this team?

What do you think?

ciao

2. jello77

jello77 Contributing Member

i dont think were desperate enough for a backup two to take on pennys long ass conctract. we just need a backup player who can play d and preferably a cheap veteren..nothing special.

and i really dont think mo is gna be traded anytime soon.

3. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

While it is intriguing, I don't know that it is a gamble worth taking.

4. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Contributing Member

I like the idea of trading Mo and Rice for Penny, but the problems are that we are trying to sign Steve, we will be resigning EG in a couple of years and I think Penny's contract doesn't end until 2006. We might even have to resign Ming by then. I think between Nachbar, Rice, and whoever we keep from the summer league we will be okay. I hope we keep Dane Fife who is defensively a great player at the two and will be a minimum contract guy. We don't want to become the chemistryless portland all stars with an 80 million payroll. It would be nice to have him though if it were for only a couple of years.

5. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Nero:- Think again! RICE is enough, we dont need two has beens and two strikes against the Management! Hardaway, no thanks.

6. because24

because24 Member

I think Hardaway would have a personality clash with Francis and Mobley on who would have the ball more; I read a similar article last year on thats a big reason why Hardaway and Marbury weren't haven't the best of times sharing the ball in Phoenix. So I don' think it would be in the Rockets best interrest.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Penny is poisonous to a team with his attitude. Plus his long contract will make him hard to dump when the figure out it's a mistake after about 2 weeks.

8. Believe2000

Believe2000 Member

They should be going after an inside presence. A banger. We need some muscle in the post. I still hope that the rumors about Cato are true. If he actually shows up with some of that muscle and maybe a hint of mental toughness, he could begin to work off that 40 million contract. Wouldn't that be nice?

If they do go after a 2 guard, it should be M. Redd. He's got good size and a great shot. Might end up better than Mobley.

Mobley was a great 6th man.