1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A trade that could solve our 2 guard problem

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stevie Francis, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Stevie Francis

Ok first of all don't bash me for an idea ok, cause this place is a place where you post ideas. Cause hardly anyone here knows what is really going on.

I heard someone say in another thread that the Knicks were intrested in Cato at the begining of this summer. If we did work up a trade could we send Cato over there and get Shandon Anderson in return? I think it would be great Shandon is a defensive, hard nose 2/3 that can back up cat. And he comes at a slightly cheaper price than Cato.

The negative part about it, is that it leaves a huge void at the center postion. But it could be solved if Mo Tay or Grffin can slid their during the time Yao is on the bench.

Hey it was just and idea ok guys...and girls.

2. Sane

Sane Member

I don't know. I think I'd rather go into the season with Torres as our backup 2 rather than leave Ming as the only C on our team.

Plus, Shandon's contract runs longer than Cato's.

Right now, we NEED Cato. Ming still has to get used to 82-games, 48 minutes, physical and light-speed play.

Aside from Ming, we NEED someone who could be a starter in a playoff run. If we didn't have Ming, we'd still make the playoffs. Cato can play big minutes, and has NBA experience and a big body. I'm not too sure Ming can take all the minutes yet.

Right now, KT is more expendable than Cato.

I was thinking Dion Glover or Dermarr Johnson for KT guys?

3. Stevie Francis

glover is an ok player. D Johnson would be great but isn't he a 3, and we already have rice,boki,morris, and t mo at that postion. If Demarr can play 2 i'm all for it cause that guy is tall and versitle. He would be a great pick up...wait is he a free agent?

4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

In theory I think that the idea is great. We have a center that is underachieving and get a great defensive player. One problem is that Cato "is" on the rise and Anderson is going downhill. Add to that, Cato plays a position that is hard to fill. Good idea, I don't blame you for thinking about it, but the trade exchanges one void for another.

5. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

2 questions:

1) Why in the world would any team want Cato??

2) Why in the world would Shandon Anderson want to come back to Houston??

6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i would rather just sign raja bell.

that way we keep cato....i dont know how great that is...but that means we have 2 servicable centers while adding a defencive 2-3.

7. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

We do not have a 2 guard problem!

8. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

True.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

All of a sudden Cato is "on the rise" and we NEED him and is not overpaid?:confused: :confused:

What happened to all those ridicules and hatred we saw on this board?

Man, we need to tell him that so he will have a better self-image.:D

10. Miggidy Markell

2 answers:

1) The Knicks have expressed interest, along with a few other teams. I'm guessing the reason to this is because there are a shortage of centers with any kind of ability in the league, no?

2) Why wouldn't he? If I was making that kind of money for doing nothing I wouldn't give a **** where I was at. He'd be getting bench minutes no matter where he plays at.

11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I would love to get Glover, but isn't he coming off a serious injury?

12. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

Since both of them have big contracts that they don't earn you can just compare player to player. After crunching their numbers and multiplying by pie, I then take that number and devide it by the radius of an NBA size basketball. Conclusion? They are both crap Then, we use the big crap is better than small crap rule we find that a crappy center is always more valuable than a crappy guard. Keep Cato.

13. Franchise2001

Franchise2001 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

14. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

If that is true, then they are really desperate plus it goes to show you how crappy the state of the center position is in the NBA today. Since when has Cato had any ability, Miggidy?? Just because he is 6'11" and can block a shot or two when he feels like it hardly means he has any "ability". If that was true, then he should at least be able to hit a 10 foot jumper or have some inside low post game. Oh, that's right, his game is dunks, alley-oops, and scowls.:rolleyes:

Ummm, no. Unless Shandon's ego has changed, but I seem to distinctly remember him being *upset* that he wasn't getting the ball on offense so he could throw up another one of his ugly jumpers. He was classy about it when he left Houston, but he pretty much stated he was glad he got traded. And although, I agree with you on the fact that no matter where he plays, he'll be getting bench minutes, I'm pretty certain that Shandn Andersn would think that his role on the Rockets should be even greater than it should be.

15. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Keep Cato - Ming cannot handle all the minutes, yet....
    Trading for Shandon does not help us. Shandon was a good defensive player, but he was a cypher for me. I liked him as a role player, but he seemed scared all the time when given the ball. That is not a good description, but I do not know how else to say it. He was hesitant on offense. Scot Layden has signed him long term- I do not want that contract.

Shandon would have been better off staying in Utah where he could be a role player in a much bigger- staged machine that is Utah.-A highly structured, rehearsed, framework where you do not have to think.

I do not feel it was Rudy's fault that Shandon was not a true asset for us.

Let's shop for a player at the 2- what about Greg Anthony?? I know he is a point guard, but if he could fit- Chicago has him for a bargain. This guy was a Rocket killer along with Harper playing for the Knicks in the finals against us.-just an idea -ehh?

What about Cedric Ceballos? I know he is a headcase, but he has skills.

Raja Bell would be a good fit as well.

I want somebody cheap....

16. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Dear Rock were you thinking that Francis could slide over as he has in previous seasons? This might not work this year as Francis is going to be called upon to be concentrating on the Super Point Guard position and make more assists! Beside that there is aneed to reduce his playing time as he became prone to injuries last season.

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Any news about Cato has trading value is good news.:D

18. aLfaBoLoUs1

aLfaBoLoUs1 Member

I agree, we kinda need cato, but when ming starts, he's as good as done, bye, bell would be nice, bell's a good defensive player and he's a very aggressive player, not to mention pretty cheap, i think he'd help the rox a lot, at least more than inconsistent jack it up oscar torres.

19. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

Why the heck would Shandon want to come back to Houston? He left here pissed off at Franchise and Mobley for not including him in the offense a lot. He would never want to be a Rocket again.

20. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Why are we still proposing deals for Shandon Anderson? Is your memory really that short that you can't remember how ineffective he was? Blaming it on Francis and Mobley is just a cheap way out. Shandon isn't some creator that needs to be given "more shots". He needs to be the aggressor. He needs to move without the ball. On average, he does that once every five or six games.

Shandon isn't the type of player that you adjust your team to incorporate. Considering his game, and his skills, he's the type of player that adjusts to the team system himself. If he wants to be a good player, all he has to do is maintain the aggression he showed once every 5 or 6 games in Houston and he can be a good fit. However, the problem is that about 80% of the time he just seemed content to stand around the three point line, where he's ineffective.

BTW, reason, the Francis and Mobley bashing from Shandon was just an excuse cooked up by his agent so that the fans in New York would have a reason for his low production. About a week earlier, the Rockets were set to sign Shandon at 5 years at 24 million dollars. (Shandon wanted to stay at the time) It wasn't until the Knicks showed interest in Shandon and the Rockets decided they preferred Glen Rice that the fallout happened.

Also, there are way too many people that set defined roles for certain positions. I can guarantee you, it's not the thinking of Rudy and it's why so many of these trades would never stand a chance of happening. In the NBA today, there's hardly any teams with one true center, much less two! Right now, Ming without any added bulk and without having played one game in the NBA is as quality of a defensive center and a better offensive center than Kelvin Cato.

How much will Ming contribute right away? Who knows. But a 7'5 guy that can shoot out to 20 feet, rebound, block some shots, and in general provide a presence is capable of starting in the NBA. I don't care what league he played in; he's capable of being a starting center in the NBA right now.

Look at some of the better "starting centers" in the league after Shaq: Alonzo Mourning, Jermaine O'Neal, Raef Lafrentz, Dale Davis, Marcus Camby, Theo Ratliff, etc. None of these, except for arguably Mourning, even resemble a prototypical center. And these are just the other starting centers in the NBA... the backups are even less in size! The role of the center is completely evolving, and some of you are still clinging to it like it's the early 90's.

Look at the Kings, for an example of a team that buys into this system. Scot Pollard isn't close to a true center, but he plays there off the bench. Turkoglu is probably a true small forward, but he spends a lot of time at both the 2 and the 4 spots. Bobby Jackson is about 6'1, and he plays a lot of time at SG. They don't try to stick players in spots because they are a certain size; they just let the best players play.

That's what we need to do. There's no reason Mo Taylor or Kenny Thomas can't handle Samaki Walker, Malik Rose, Scot Pollard, Wang Zhi Zhi, or any other backup center in the West. There's no need for a backup two, unless you want to reduce Moochie's role to about 10 minutes per game. I can guarantee you, Moochie Norris is monumentally more important to this team than Shandon Anderson would be.

Realistically, if Cato is on this team, he's going to play at least 18 mpg considering his contract. There's 96 minutes per game at the 4 and 5 spots. If Cato's here, here's what it will likely look like:

Ming: 24
    Cato: 18
    Taylor: 25
    Griffin: 27
    Thomas: 2 (gets about 8 mpg at the SF spot, being generous)

We don't have a glaring need for a backup two, or anything at this point. However, just imagine if we trade Cato for an expiring contract and a first round pick. Kenny still has a role here, Eddie can play more minutes, and there's no backup center that Mo or Kenny can't handle. I'd rather keep the better player in Kenny or Mo instead of keeping some stiff that doesn't really match up with any backup centers.

#20 The Cat, Aug 21, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2002