1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Spurs fan comparing Hakeem and D- Rob

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Alirules, Jun 6, 2003.

1. Alirules

Alirules Member

<!-- http://pub237.ezboard.com/ffullsportpressfrm7.showMessage?topicID=2617.topic -->

Post or Novel?
    (6/3/03 5:34 pm)
    Re: Re:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nice thread and good points, Marcus.

I think it is so difficult to compare players since none of them were in identical situations. Most of the "greats" like Wilt and Russell played on teams with several of the 50 greatest players. That is hardly the same as DRob's casts of Elliott, Cummings, Rodman, Strickland, and Avery Johnson, not to mention the seasons when guys like Negele Knight, Vinny Del Negro, and Antoine Carr started.

I feel confident that nobody else could've done better than DRob did with those supporting casts. The best Spurs team record-wise won 62 games in 1994-1995 with a lineup of Robinson/Rodman/Elliott/Del Negro/Johnson. That's pretty amazing.

Hakeem played oustandingly well in the Rockets' back-to-back title runs, but Otis Thorpe was an All-Star and Drexler was still dangerous the following year after the trade. That doesn't even include Elie, Horry, Cassell, and Kenny Smith. People talk about the subpar supporting casts Hakeem had, and I simply don't buy it - not in comparison to the Spurs, anyway. Despite Hakeem's heroic performance, DRob would've won a title with that bunch, too.

Nobody in history is a better defensive big man than David. Russell, Hakeem, Mutombo, Chamberlain, whoever. DRob is better, both on the ball and on the team defense side of things. He had such good instincts on that end of the floor, not to mention insane athleticism.

Offensively, DRob was too athletic for other bigs and I think that hindered him from seeing the need to develop a go-to move. Most guys do it out of necessity, and DRob simply didn't need to. I agree that his jump hook could've been special, and he went away from it for some reason. Developing such a move would've made these last few years much easier on his aging body. Still, his post game wasn't horrible or anything, just not on par with Olajuwon's. David did develop a nice jumper and a ton of fakes facing up to the basket.

Finally, I think his supposed lack of desire is a joke. If people only knew the stuff he played through and put up with, they would see how tough he really is. In addition, the improvements David made in his game from the time he got to the Naval Academy all the way up until he was MVP in 1995 (or just from his rookie year until 1995) speak volumes about his work ethic and desire. Pretty amazing if you ask me.

I put DRob on par with Olajuwon (Olajuwon had those two great years, but other parts of his career were mired in inconsistency, bad attitude, and poor team performances). DRob is definitely ahead of Ewing, Mourning, and Mutombo. It's hard to compare him to Shaq but Shaq probably gets the nod because he absolutely changed the game. I don't think he's actually as talented as DRob, though.

Complacency sucks.

Probably the funniest post I have ever read. What a joke

2. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Spurs fans will be Spurs fans.

What can you do?

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I'm taking a logic course this summer.. here's what I've learned..

If David Robinson is as good or better than Hakeem Olajuwon, then the world as we know it shall end.
    The world has not ended.
    Therefor David Robinson is not as good or better than Hakeem Olajuwon.

4. IVFL

IVFL Member

Thats funny and all this time I thought Elliot was an All star. I could be wrong though.

And Dream just had those two good years. HA HA HA HA HA.

No that was just when he was noticed for his outstanding play because the Rockets won a championship. Thanks for the laugh

5. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Spers* fans are labeled some of the stupidest dumb **** people in the world for a reason.

6. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

It's funny that he bashes Hakeem for having a "better supporting cast".. and he somehow overlooks the fact that Robinson couldn't win a championship without a hall-of-famer in Tim Duncan :rolleyes:

7. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Olajuwon's stats

G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG

Career 1,238 1,186 35.7 .512 .202 .712 3.30 7.80 11.10 2.5 1.75 3.09 2.96 3.50 21.8
    Playoff 145 140 39.6 .528 .222 .719 3.20 7.90 11.20 3.2 1.69 3.26 2.92 3.90 25.9
    All-Star 12 8 22.5 .409 1.000 .520 3.20 4.70 7.80 1.4 1.25 1.92 2.17 2.60 9.8

Robinson's stats

G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG

Career 987 985 34.7 .518 .250 .736 3.10 7.50 10.60 2.5 1.41 2.99 2.45 2.90 21.1
    Playoff 118 118 34.6 .477 .100 .708 3.00 7.70 10.70 2.3 1.22 2.58 2.35 3.40 18.4
    All-Star 10 3 18.4 .588 .000 .695 2.20 4.00 6.20 .8 1.30 1.30 1.10 2.60 14.1

checkmate

8. couch_pot8o

couch_pot8o Contributing Member

exactly. man, i have the championship tapes from first round to finals on both 93-94 and 94-95. but, the most special to me was when hakeem made the "MVP" D-Rob look like a fool! i always play that tape over and over.. i think i have to re-record it to another tape coz its gettin worn out.. lol.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I think having only 1 professional team in your town makes you delusional. See Utah Jazz.

10. Ankich

Ankich Member

If he said that with a straight face, there is no way this man is older than 20.

11. outlaw

outlaw Member

Finals MVP awards have always impressed me more than Regular season MVP awards. Dream has 2 of those and D-Rob has 0.

12. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Anyone going over there to set those guys straight?

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

You can't reason with this kind of stupidity. It's not worth it.

14. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Also, he mentions Elie with the Rockets but it was also Elie with the Spurs the year they won. Funny how he forgot that.

15. couch_pot8o

couch_pot8o Contributing Member

true. whoever says d-rob is better than dream may have a severe case of one or more of the following:

1. Hallucinations
    2. Stupidity
    3. Blindeness
    4. In denial that the Rocs just are too much for the Spurs to handle...
    5. Didn't graduated intermediate/middle school
    6. On weed
    7. Hatred on their souls coz Dream made The Admiral look like a fool.

i cant think of anything else.. if you got some more ideas, feel free to add.. lol.. all this are IMO.

16. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Quick Quiz:

Who is the only player in the history of the nba tobe in the top 10 in blks and steals?

Hakeem

Who is the only player to win the defensive player of the yr,mvp of the regular and the finals in the same yr?

Hakeem

What really gets me is that if Hakeem had played some this season, he would be the only player in hoops history to be in the top 10 in scoring,rebs,blks,and steals. He was 22rebs behind Wes Unsel for 10th, he's 7th in scoring,6th in steals,and 1st in blks. There isn't a player in the history of the nba that can say they were that rounded.

17. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

about the Elie thing.. I think he was comparing us to them 94-95. Rodman is no pushover. His defense and rebounds are actually pretty top rated as well. I think Avery Johnson/ Kenny Smith is pretty even. Drexler over Del Negro although Vinny never seem to miss. Elliot was an all-star. Don't forget the likes of Chuck Person, and big men like Purdue who was a big body there.

Speaking of people that they have.. how bout what the Rockets had STARTING. We started Charles Jones?!?? He became a "key" factor for us with a 6 point game!! Cassell was above average but he was still learning. Elie was scratching for playing time behind Clyde and Horry. We tried having Chucky Brown starting as well as a couple people behind him. Remember who was behind him? hehe... Pete Chillcutt. I can't even be sure if I spelled his name right. And then..

Olajuwon got the best of DR when it counts. The playoffs. Olajuwon played well throughout his career till the winding moments. His numbers were always on top of the class, especially defensively. Olajuwon commands the double team in the center position like no other, or else our supporting cast would never get the open 3s they did throughout the championship years. DR was at the height of his game that year, and Dream about the same during those playoffs. I don't know if you've watched the tapes as often as I have... but DR was simply outplayed AND outclassed. He was jumping around faked out every time down the court.

18. xcharged

xcharged Member

Thank god both played against each other during their Primes, and most of us where there to see who was the better of the two.

19. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

For pete's sake, they went directly up against each other and Hakeem absolutely destroyed him. How can he possibly say Robinson was better? :eek:

20. codell

codell Contributing Member

THe popular Spurs argument seems to be that SA had to single cover Hakeem because all of our "great shooters" and that we got to double Robinson because none of their players could hit from the outside and thus, Hakeem had an unfair advantage.

PS - Don't shoot the messenger. ;)