1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion (warning: possible spoilers)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by crash5179, Apr 6, 2012.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Member

I’m currently about a 3rd of the way through FoC and thought I would create a thread for book book discussions so as not to ruin the series for those who have not read the books. All discussions about the books is fair game.

Which brings me to…

Who the hell is Jon Snow’s mother? Or more to the point who are his parents? I’ve seen discussions about this around the internet but the thing that got me thinking about this is the interview with GRRM in the Game of Thrones season 2 thread where the interviewer asks Martin, “Is the rumor about Jon Snow’s parents true?” GRRM told him that if he wanted to find out he would just have to keep reading the books, indicating the Jon Snow’s mother or true parents would be revealed at some point in the series.

The rumor in case anyone does not know as of yet is that Jon Snow is not Eddard’s son but is the son of Rheagar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark. The rumor is that Rheagar did not kidnap Lyanna as is portrayed in the book but that they were in love and left together and left because Lyanna was pregnant with Rheagar’s son. There are parts in the books that point to this as a definite possibility. There are lots of descriptions of Rheagar throughout the series by different people that makes kidnapping seem way out of character for him. Also Lyanna makes Eddard promise her something before she dies but they never say what the promise was. Was the promise to raise her son Jon Snow and keep his true identity private?

Claiming Jon Snow as his own b*stard son makes more sense than Eddard putting a black mark on his highly valued honor. Keeping Jon’s identity secret would also be necessary to protect Jon from King Robert because Robert hated and was actively trying to kill all Targaryens. This would also explain why Eddard refused to confide in even his best friend King Robert who Jon’s real mother is.

Is Jon Snow the b*stard son of Lyanna Stark and Rheagar Targaryen?

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

dude thats a crazy theory. and besides you already know what happends to snow later on.

What pisses me off about GRRM is that he has a huge twist to a story line, to find out there is another twist behind another twist. Ex: Catelyn stark's arc in dance with dragons.

3. crash5179

crash5179 Member

None of us know what eventually happens to Jon because GRRM has not written it yet. If you have not listened to GRRM's interview in the other thread listen to it and you will know what I mean. I spoilered this next part incase someone has not listened to the GRRM interview or read DwD
    I don't think Jon is dead. From the interview GRRM sounds amused that so many have come to that conclusion.

BTW, I can't take credit for that theory. It's been passed around the internet which is what led the interviewer to ask GRRM about it.

#3 crash5179, Apr 6, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think the lord of light has plans for him.

Rocket River.

5. crash5179

crash5179 Member

I hope it does not end with Jon turning on the old gods.

6. crash5179

crash5179 Member

Why would Rheagar kidnap Lyanna? It makes no sense with the kingdom already on the brink of revolt due to the Mad Kings actions. He had to know that if he kidnapped Lyanna who was promised to Robert Baratheon that it would bring both Starks and Baratheons against the Targaryens.

- We know that there was something between Rheagar and Lyanna at the turnament at Harrenhal when Jammie got his white cloke.

- We know Rheagar did not like to fight but he did it more out of a sense of duty

- There are many accounts of Rheagar by different characters in the book (perticularly from Bariston) and none of the accounts describe him as cruel or crazy or mean.

- We know that Rheagar taking Lyanna was the last straw that started the revolt against the Mad King

- We know Lyanna made Eddard promise him something while she was dying

- We know Eddard cares more about his honor than anything other than his family and has never confided in anyone who Jon's mother.

7. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

yea obviously not. If you notice something about the book, the central character with their own narations with the exception of ned never get axed. Thats what I mean by the crazy twists he has.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Ned's sister was black haired?
    All Targaryens have like silver hair right?

Rocket River

9. fadeaway

fadeaway Member

They do if they inbreed, which has been the norm for them throughout their history. If they dip outside their bloodline, who knows?

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I don't think YOU have to be a believer to be resurrected . . . look at his stepmom.
    They have not shown her to really have a love of the Lord of Light

[I listen to the books on AudioCD -i might have missed it]

Rocket River

11. crash5179

crash5179 Member

Targaryens had silver hair but they typically we'd their siblings. Rheagar had silver hair and Lyanna had black hair. Rheagar would have we'd Danny but she was not borne yet when he married the Princess of Dorne. I don't recall if they ever discribed Rheagars kids so I don't know what color there hair was.

I know that most of Ned's kids are discribed as having a Tully look while only Arrya and Jon have a Stark look. I think its safe to assume a child of Lyannas could have a Stark look even if Rheagar was the father.

12. crash5179

crash5179 Member

I would agree with that. There was a line in SoS that made it seem that the Lightning Lord was not fond of being resurrected and really just wanted to die.

13. rox1

rox1 Member

Jon is definitely not dead. It can't be :(

14. crash5179

crash5179 Member

In the GRRM interview, when questioned about Jon Snows death Martin responded, "so you think he's dead?" leaving us to think that he is not dead after all.

15. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

arya, tyrion, jon, bran, and daenerys are untouchable. no way he kills them off. All the characters that narrate never die off, with the exception of Ned in the first.

16. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Jon Snow thoughts having read the whole series.

It seemed like Jon was dead, but because it's seemed like that before I wouldn't commit to the idea that Snow was dead. I kept thinking there has to be a way for him to still be alive.

That said I'd rather he be permanently dead than come back like Dondarrion or Catelyn.

I'd feel cheated if he came back in that way.

But if he's just horribly wounded and not dead, how does he revive, and then survive in that climate where he is?

There is the possibility that Jon survives in Ghost like the wildlings had done before. I hope that's not the case here for Jon.

17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!
    Supporting Member

Some of the Targs of old would have more than one wife....

18. crash5179

crash5179 Member

I'm hoping he finds away to survive with out the assistance of the Lord of Light or with out the need for him to permenantly worg into Ghost.
    I would probably feel a little cheated if that were the case.

19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!
    Supporting Member

I have a theory about this (all books spoilers)

I don't think that just The Other and Rhollor(sp) can resurrect. I think it may be a fairly common power among the gods/magic...Un-Gregor, some dark magic, The Hound/Gravedigger, the Seven. I think JS will be brought back to life by Bran/greenseer magic.

I can't see any way that he won't come back, though, even given GRRM's propensity to kill off characters.

20. crash5179

crash5179 Member

you never know since Bran saved Jon in SoS while he was worged into Summer