1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A simple way of discouraging superteams: this will work

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by what, Jul 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. what

what Member

Only the original team that drafts a player has Bird Rights. In another words, Bird rights, don't transfer from team to team.

In fact, you could even take it further than that. And team can sign any player for any amount for up to 5 years (as long as they stay within the salary cap), but only the team that drafted that player can go over the cap to sign him, and Bird rights are never and can never be transferred.

2. what

what Member

This would also reward the teams who spend judiciously which makes it a real argument weather a player should or shouldn't be signed. Now, money doesn't matter.

Not being able to trade Bird rights would make the league so much more intresting from a build a contender standpoint because it emilimates the tried and true spend to win mantra.

Your lavish ways can get you in trouble in a hurray without having the fallback of bird rights.

3. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I don't know if that fixes it.

To me, what fixes it is more on an officiating level. Eliminate the superstar call. Make calls and officiating a lot more transparent. Make officiating more consistent. This will usher in more of an era of team basketball. Super teams tend to be constructed with players who play well on an individual level. Also, a hard cap wouldn't hurt.

4. what

what Member

If you eliminate Bird Rights being transferred, KD doesn't go to Golden State. Period.

Staying under the actual cap and not the luxury cap is huge. HUGE.

5. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

What about players who get traded?

6. what

what Member

That's what I am saying, if you are traded, Bird Right don't transfer. If you are let go from your original team before 3 years, you have to be with a team for 3 years before you can get bird rights, if you have never had bird rights before.

7. Pizza_Da_Hut

No way in hell the players agree to that in the CBA. That's also greatly unfair to them. Maybe they could tighten regulations on bird rights? I get that it's Bird rights that will allow them to resign Durant and Steph next year.

8. PhiSlammaJamma

It's not fair to an individual to limit one's salary so substantially that there is no decision to make. The key is giving the small market team a chance to keep their player on a playing level equal to that of a team generating say 3x the revenue, and OKC had that chance. Nothing unfair happened here. The player made a decision to change teams. In my eyes OKC had a fair chance. It's not like OKC just threw their hands up and said we lose, we can't afford u. Durant said I'd like to move to a new team to win a title and you are not good enough.

9. what

what Member

You are not limiting it. KD would have gotten paid the same, but it most likely wouldn't have been with Golden State.

Teams could certainly do what they are doing now which is hording cap space to make a big run at a free agent.

Key withing what I am saying is that any team can sign for a player for any amount and there are no rules like the 4.5% rule that is currently in place for teams that don't have bird rights.

So for example, many teams could have made KD a max offer, but only teams that can afford it in their Salary Cap.

This year and next year is kind of an anomaly in that regard, but going forward you take away bird rights for teams that didn't draft that player, equal that player isn't going anywhere.

10. Pizza_Da_Hut

As a player, Durant did nothing wrong. We can talk about legacy and character until the cows come home, but let's be honest, this was not the same level of collusion that we saw with the Miami Heat. While I have lost respect for Durant, I think what he did was 100% within his rights. It's like seeing a pregnant woman on a subway, and not giving her your seat. You don't have to do it, but come on man.

11. watashi315

watashi315 Member

As a team, there is nothing wrong with the GSW going after the best guy on the market. That's what teams do....always looking to upgrade, especially if you came up short. Whether, chemistry-wise, this was a wise idea, we shall wait and see how next season turns out.

However, from a player's perspective, Durant shouldn't have jumped on the GSW bandwagon, especially for someone of his caliber. GSW already has its Big 3 (Klay, Curry, and Green). Durant is the odd man out in that group. Yes, he's an all-world player but this is not HIS team. He's just a guest. Do you really want to win a ring this way?? No respect for this dude.

12. Pizza_Da_Hut

The irony is, people are applauding GS for their decision to star chase, but flame Morey for his. It's a superstar driven league, and you win by acquiring stars and depleting stars from other teams. The impact of removing Durant from OKC will have a positive impact on GS, even if Durant were to ride the pine for the rest of his career. It was a double whammy. Then again, GS did nothing wrong, they were equal parts lucky and smart.

13. MONON

MONON Member

I agree that KD did nothing wrong & did everything by the book. I said several times that he would sign a 2 year deal (PO for 2nd yr), but with OKC not GS. I thought OKC had made enough improvements to be real contenders with GS, Cavs & Spurs & he'd sign with OKC to see how good they could really be. There I go "thoughting" again! :eek::(:grin:

14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Hard cap with no max has been and will continue to be the most sure-fire way to eliminate super teams.

Unfortunately...there's virtually no chance it is agreed to in CBA negotiations.

15. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

That would also encourage tanking.

16. what

what Member

To me, this is a good compromise, since it encourages teams to draft well, and be more fiscally responsible in spending.

Of course, even still, under my rule, GS could have still done what they done mainly because they did awesome with their draft, but cleveland would not have been able to max Love.

This rule would make it extremely difficult to buy a super team. It would also allow small market teams to compete for free agents.

It would also be good to combine this with no limit as to what you can sign a player for.

This would max the league strategy so much fun. Do you sign Lebron for 80% of your cap and then fill in, or go after midrange guys.

Tell me why I am wrong about this? I think I've solved the superteam dilemma.

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'm confused what you are trying to say. KD's Bird Rights did not transfer to GSW. They signed him with pure cap space.

Are you saying at the end of the contract, GSW must use cap space again to resign him?

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Relocate all franchises to Memphis, then everyone who could afford to do so would immediately retire. Except for Chandler Parsons - he loves Memphis.

19. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A better solution is to eliminate the individual max salary.

20. what

what Member

They did. You are right. But next year, when KD will re-negotiate his deal, he would be bound by pure cap space as well, whearas OKC wouldn't have been.

Could GS still theortically sign KD and Curry to full max, with cap hopes it would be difficult.

As it stands now, they don't even have to worry about that because they own KD's bird rights. See what I am getting at?