1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A short list of what you should post in the GARM.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jtr, Aug 5, 2013.

1. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

OK. After a really horrible stretch of bit bucket posts I am going to weigh in on what actually should and should not be posted in the GARM. We recently experienced a completely horrendous number of worthless GARM posts with a lead in of "If player X leaves would you still be a fan?" byline. The first actually had some meaning because it addressed a serious question about Lin fans. And then stupidity reigned and deluge of copycat threads happened. Shallow, mindless and pitiful. So IMHO these should be a guideline as to when you should start a new conversation thread in the GARM.

What not to post in the GARM:

• Any spur of the moment question that pops into your head.
    • Questions that realistically have no answer other than IMHO. However I personally appreciate pointed questions that have to do with Rockets players chances in advanced competition like "Chandler's shot at USA team". Situational. Depends on the background offered.
    • Senseless derivations of current threads.
    • Questions like "What does this team have to do to lose you as a fan?" What does this add to the GARM? Nothing.
    • Questions like "Would you still be a Dwight fan if Howard was traded?" Both a senseless derivation and a question that pops into your head. And I am looking at you ...
    • Threads designed to push hot buttons and elicit ugly purposeless debate. Many Lin threads fall into this catagory.
    • Threads that obviously should be posts. "Possibility: David Lee?" is a classic example. Clutch provides a trade thread. Use it.
    • Any article dissing players without a thorough and detailed analysis of the player. Same for positive threads.

What you should post:

• Breaking news. If you are second to the submit that is OK. But please check the GARM before you hit the button.
    • Detailed analyses. If it is obvious that you put in an hour or more thought into a thread people will realize it and actually cut you some slack. "An NBA Nightmare: The James Harden-Dwight Howard Pick-and-Roll". A beautifull example. But perhaps unachievable for us average posters. You do not have to live up to the gold standard.
    • Schedules for members of the Rockets roster. Today's thread about the EuroLeague was a resounding success. A number of us actually watched the game and commented on it live.
    • Historical threads about past Rockets teams. Especially if you include video. "Best Hakeem The Dream Youtube Video" is a good example.
    • Questions that have been well thought out. Clutch posts are the epitome of these.
    • Anything by Bima.

And I do realize that I will be flamed. But bits and screen are precious, and your personal opinion is not. Can we make this a better place for those of us that love basketball?

3 people like this.
  2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

This doesn't belong in the GARM. OP fail.

1 person likes this.
  3. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

A completely senseless statement. What could possibly be more relevant to the GARM?

4. redearth

redearth Contributing Member

I found this helpful tip on the BBS Rookie FAQ, although I admit that I could be better at following this advice.

5. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

FIFY.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Game Action and Roster Moves. There is a Feedback section for stuff like this.

Reply fail.

7. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

And we could be in an endless recursion of the most important point.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/PKggO62YPs4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Yeah. Like all of these rookies read stuff like that. And who do you think are responsible for the stupid chatter we get on the GARM? Rookies. Maybe a few will read this and not hit the submit button.

10. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

Thank You! We definitely need to clean up the GARM... its getting to messy out there... too many duplicate posts (breaking news repeated 2-3 times by different people), too many lin threads, too many threads about "What do you think if..." types...

Do we need a General "What I think..." Thread? and move all those threads in there?

I just hope that someone would do immediate thread close of these types of threads...

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

That's true. Hopefully this helps, but if I put on my Miss Cleo hat I see it getting moved.

In the GARM's defense, I think this time of the year is brutal for us all.

12. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I could not agree with you more. Perhaps it is just frustration on my part that prompted me to write this post. I hate having to wade through screens of pablum to get to what is important.

13. bmd

bmd Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

Yeah, I've done some of these spur of the moment or just post something because I'm pissed with no actual insight. I think I'm better than most though, as I don't do it often.

15. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

I agree, you will get flamed, but you make a good point for the Rooks. Because I think that random thought that pops into alot of rookies' brains in the middle of the 4th quarter of a loss/win is what makes up a ton of the garbage that ends up clogging the GARM. Not to mention the off-season when they see some blurb on BSPN about anotherr team and think, man I've never thought about that I wonder how I can relate this to the Rockets.

Good post

16. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

Totally understand. I was getting annoyed with the "Would you still be a fan of "..." if "..." would be traded?" That not only sounds stupid but it was annoying.

17. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Yes. And honestly I am not blameless. But we all should try to do better. Perfection is not a humanly achievable attribute.

18. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

Always great to be told what to do by the genius's here. Thanks Einstein.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Wrong forum since this thread is neither about "Game Action" nor is it about "Roster Moves."

This thread belongs here: http://bbs.clutchfans.net/forumdisplay.php?f=11

Also, even by the OP's own standard, I have a hard time finding this thread's topic among the list of supposedly acceptable GARM threads.

20. CARoxNut

CARoxNut Member

Like to add one more condition for what not to post on GRAM. Stupid thread like this telling people what to do!