1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A second wide receiver makes all the difference

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by otis thorpe, Sep 10, 2013.

1. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

he had 6 TDs all last year, and started off with 2, thats big time...

2. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

OD def had a big game, and if I'm wrong about his time here winding down I'll eat a plate of crow. But I just think that his play over the entire season won't warrent his salary and he'll be a cap casuality. Just like Ryans, Winston, Briesel, and Walter. I peg Antonio Smith for it as well. Mr. Watt's contract day is approaching, and the Texans' recent history shows that they take care of thier guys sooner rather than later.

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Is that supposed to be a knock on OD?

OD had as many* touchdown receptions last year than Andre Johnson had in 2011 and 2012 combined (23 game span).

Andre must be big time too then, huh?

*edited

#23 rezdawg, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  4. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Have to agree tough decisions have to be made each year and Graham/Griffin will likely replace Daniels/Graham.

KJs contract extension is coming up too.

5. Raven

Raven Member

In the grand scheme, it's unimportant, but will Hopkins have the best rookie season among receivers?

6. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

There is a difference between a cap casualty due to cap reasons and a cap casualty due to deteriorating on field performance.

OD can be waived or have his contract restructured, but it will be because the team has higher priorities (JJ Watt)...it wont be because his role is diminishing on offense (Kevin Walter). My response was the fact that OD was being compared to Walter, which is far from the case, imo.

7. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Who's his biggest comp? Tavon Austin in STL., Cordarrelle Patterson in Minny? Not very many guys playing as the #1 receivers on their respective squads, hell Nuk isn't either but at least he's solidified the #2 spot.

I'm sure he'll be the best rookie wide out of last years class this season. Everyone else is pretty raw or learning a new offensive system that will take more time for adjustment.

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Owen Daniels is not Kevin Walter. Walter was a non-factor as a pass catcher. He was more like Mark Bruehner(sp?).

Now, with that said, Owen Daniels may end up seeing his tenure end soon. He's a good receiver, but he's not GREAT and he's not an explosive playmaker.

9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I hope OP is correct, but is it really plausible coverage schemes would have changed in week 1 to account for Hopkins?

10. Houst0ne

Houst0ne Member

Kenny Stills looks like his best comp right now

11. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I wasn't comparing OD to Walter play wise. One is CLEARLY better than the other, there's no arguement there. I just think that OD is def on the downside of his career, and next season, won't be worth his salary.

As stated by someone else earlier, Graham and Griffen are already in place. Griffen isn't a sure thing, but he's looked good so far. That said, I'm still hoping to see OD perform well this season. And if he's back next season, I hope he has another great year.

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I'm always fascinated by how much absolute random S gets chucked against a wall in here. Including Monday night's game, OD and Arian have combined for 25 TDs since the start of the 2012 season and the team is 13-4....

13. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

At current pace, Hopkins will get over 1000 yards and we never had a WR (not counting TE) with over 1000 yds besides Andre, Kevin Walter came close with almost 900. Hopkins should at least surpass WR Walter's 900 yards.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Did you really use "current pace" after only one game???

What are AJ80 and Schaub's current pace? Is Cushing on track for 16 interceptions???! ;)

15. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

i missed most of hopkins' catches. ANyone got a link or got a youtube of his SD game highlights??

16. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

At current pace, Texans will be giving up 448 points per season ;)

17. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdsPZ5AWseQ

Most of his catches are in the 2nd half, the best is his near the end of the 3rd quarter..

18. Nimo

Nimo Member

At this current pace, Randy Bullock will miss 16 field goals

19. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

16 50+ yard field goals. That's worse than Graham. Cut him now.

20. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member