1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Really Stupid Question...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by StanleyHartwell, Feb 9, 2008.

1. StanleyHartwell

I am ashamed and may not be called a fan. But I couldn't figure out today when sb. asked me why the NBA has 82 games...

play 4 times within the conference = 4*14=56 games
    play 2 times with the other conference = 2*15=30 games

So it adds up to 86 .... :rolleyes:

2. kikimama

kikimama Member

Well, they play exactly 41 home and 41 away games. They DON'T play their entire conference 4 times. They play their DIVISION 4 times and the same conference 3 - 4 times. You were correct about playing the other division twice tho.

3. StanleyHartwell

Ha! thanks. But how to decide what are the 4 same-conference teams to play only 3 instead of 4 times?

4. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

it's random and switches from year to year.

5. MONON

MONON Member

Sounds like Rocket science to me! :rolleyes:

6. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Some teams only play each other 3 times instead of 4 times and it's literally just random.

7. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

So why cant they just play 86 games?

8. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Before there were less teams and you played all teams in your conference 4 times and other other conference twice.

Now just cause they added more teams does not mean they will play more games.

I am sure the owners would not mind, but no way the players and the players union would agree to that.

9. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I don't know why they play 82 games either. I don't even care why as it really has no bearing on anything important. It is what it is.

Why is the sky blue?
    Why is water wet?
    Why are boobs good?

I don't care about the "why" with these questions either.

10. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

As Bill and Clyde said in the game today, they need to restructure the league...

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

This year I believe, we only play the Lakers, Jazz, T-Wolves, and Clipps three tiimes as opposed to the four we play everyone else in the West. You can say we have good luck, in that two out of the four are good teams, or you can say that it is bad luck, since more than 50% of the teams in the West are good so we could have gotten as many three fewer games against good teams and still been within the standard deviation of what you would expect (the mean).

12. lalala902102001

All the maths that a basketball mind needs to know is that a basket within the three-point arc is worth 2 points and a basket outside the arc is worth 3 points :)

13. kikimama

kikimama Member

I guess I will be your manager one day.
    ;)