1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Rant On Recognition

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by KDJ3, Mar 19, 2012.

1. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

http://www.nba.com/2012/news/features/david_aldridge/03/19/morning-tip-trade-deadline-review/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt1

To begin, I must say that I enjoy David Aldridge's take on most things, and appreciate the writers of NBA.com for what they do. I am irked, however, by the absence of the Rockets on any of their blogs.

Posted above is David Aldridge's review of deadline-day deals. I find it strange that the Rockets' trades aren't even mentioned. Sure, they would belong in the "They shook it up ... and meh" category, but news is still news, regardless of how obsolete. I for one like the trades that we made, but that is neither here nor there.

I'm not one to care about national media for my sports teams, but it is nice to see my Rockets, Texans, or even Astros (kinda) mentioned on ESPN, TNT, or anywhere but local stations. It's a major reason that Jeff Van Gundy is very well respected and even loved by people on Clutchfans, he actually talks about the Rockets. Even Fran Blinebury is liked on the board, and his negative attitude towards Houston has been well documented.

I think that every fanbase has a desire to be recognized nationally, and for that reason alone they want a superstar. Of course, recognition comes through winning and in a superstar you would assume that you would get more wins. But look at the Knicks. Argue if you want, but Carmelo Anthony is a superstar. Amare (on the downside of his career) is still a name. And of course, "the point guard who shall not be named". They have put together...a losing record. But they are talked about FAR more than the Rockets. Because it's all drama, it's a great story. It's like a soap opera for women (and some men) or fake wrestling for men (and some women). You can't take your eyes away from it. It calls to wonder, "Would the Rockets have that much attention on them for that situation had they kept Lin?" Again, neither here nor there and talked about before.

My point is that, win or lose, I enjoy a good story. Something to make me watch. Excitement. I am an avid Rockets fan and watch regardless of the situation. But I also understand that there are other fans in the world, and if I as a fan want my team to be relevant to people outside of Houston, Texas, they are going to have to be persuaded to by interest. I believe the time is coming, but patience is a virtue.

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

We all pretend we don't care about the the national media, but whenever they talk about one of the local teams its stops me dead and i have to watch.

Everybody want national acknowledgement. Although i can deal without them talking about the stros right now.

3. gah

gah Member

You want more prove of irrelevance? Patrick Patterson has not been fined for his fine twitter rant.

I don't need the Rockets to be recognized and discussed by the mainstream media, I kind of like it that way. It's like that obscure film or album you get to enjoy more without being annoyed by band-wagoners.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not really.

Acknowledgment of what? the Rockets exist?

If we have a story that's interesting and compelling (like the win streak awhile back) we'll make the news.

I care about wins, not what some casual person in the USA Today is reading.

5. tinman

Supporting Member

I find this 'need for attention' as insecurity.

What do the really want? The Rockets headlining ESPN?

ESPN TOP STORY
    ROCKET SIGN MARCUS CAMBY!!

2nd story. Peyton Manning signs with the Broncos

6. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

Completely agree, all I want is wins. During the offseason, however, I don't want to hear all about the 20-46 Nets and who they're taking to Brooklyn. I'd like to hear about the Rockets. Not necessary, just nice.

7. tinman

Supporting Member

The reason for people talking about the NETs is the Dwight Howard rumors.

There's no rumors about the Rockets getting anybody.

We can get publicity for bad reasons too not just good reasons.

8. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

Too true, but even Lowry's incident wasn't all that big of a deal. Albeit it wasn't rape allegation or anything, but imagine if he were Kobe. Again, I'm not complaining, just explaining what I think to be people's mindset on it.

9. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Aldridge put that in the same column. Is there really any more to say about it?

10. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

No definitely not, his blog was just a spark in a thought process already in place, not cause for a thread.

11. chapinha_br

chapinha_br Member

Bump for justice

12. okguy456

okguy456 Contributing Member

id like to be recognized more nationally. its not insecurity or shame that we arent that much...but its nice to hear people talk good about your team on national television. gives you a sense of pride and what not. i care about wins too, but lets say we had a better record like san antonio and we werent talked about as a "team to beat" it would bother me, regardless of not having a "superstar." anyway, im proud of my team...but recognition is what most of us want. why else does everyone keep crying about not having a superstar? 1. more wins. 2. to have an awesome player on YOUR team and to represent YOUR team.

13. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Every Rockets fan prefers this website of NBA.com. No 30 second ads.

14. Half Nelson

Half Nelson Member

Yeah, that may be the only downside to the Rockets becoming a contending team: all the bandwagoneers come out of their hidey holes and swamp clutchfans. At least went Yao retired, all the YOF fans left too.

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

I personally don't care whether or not our players make ESPN's top plays or how much air time we get on sportscenter. To me that part is irrelevant. But I do like analysis on the national level because they are, or should be, less biased than Rockets fans. For example I may think the world of a rookie even when they go 8 and 4, but it's hard to put that in perspective on an NBA scale to compare him to other rookies. Things like that.

But generally those who do analysis, like truehoop, do devote some time to the Rockets.

16. tinman

Supporting Member

they talk about us on NBA TV.

17. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

I don't need attention. However, they could at least get the players' names right when they put one of the darlings in the top 10 for dunking on us, and then mumble, oh yeah, by the way, Rockets won that one.