1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A rant: crappy dog owners

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dachuda86, Jan 2, 2021.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Careful or @Jontro will try to labradiddle him.

Jontro likes this.
  2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

You're admitting a well trained aggressive dog will break its training in favor of instinct. You made a perfectly good case why aggressive breeds should be banned.
    While I disagree with that whole assessment, I do feel like pitbulls are for people who need to compensate for something, much like guys who drive big ass lifted trucks.

Do wat? Many parents these days can barely understand a 5th graders homework, much less teach it to them. And you think every child should go into Dog Defensive Training because you feel entitled to own an aggressive dog? I would like to see how this training kicks in when you have 75lbs of muscle and teeth trying to rip your throat out, much less a toddler.

3. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Have zero input on anything in this thread other than the OP was funny.

Started by trying to claim this wasn’t about pit bulls being dangerous or not, but then clearly made the entire post about how dangerous he feels they are. And clearly has stereotyped owners of those dogs to be a certain way.

Just leave the first line out lol.

And no I don’t own a pit bull and never have.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think like driving on the defense to protect yourself from stupid drivers yes I recommend people for their safety (especially with children) get taught how to deal with a dog whose owner has turned them into a danger. I’ve made it a point to teach my 5 year old how to interact with big dogs and what to do if particular situations happen.

jiggyfly likes this.
  5. dobro1229

No. I’m saying if you are walking a small dog and you cross a pit bull with an owner who isn’t trained and you and your dog are clenched and act defensive, the pit bulls natural reaction will be to approach in a dominant motion. That reaction could freak one out and make you think the pit bull is attacking you when in reality it’s just a dog being a dog interacting with another dog not in his pack.

Your second paragraph is just obnoxious. You obviously have reading comprehension issues.

As I said I used to train Rottweilers. Have owned a few myself and have worked with Pit Bulls. Take my advice or not. They are dogs. Really good ones if you know how to train dogs. Dogs in general are dangerous for idiots who abuse them to own and yes I think it should be regulated on what needs to happen to own one. This isn’t that controversial of an opinion.

#45 dobro1229, Jan 2, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    BleedsRocketRed and jiggyfly like this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Bear spray works wonders on dogs as well.

https://www.sabrered.com/blog/pepper-spray-and-dogs-4-things-you-need-know

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I'm still wondering why if I still had my happy go lucky beagle that didn't have a mean bone in its body, why I should have to give him special training in order not to incite a more aggressive dog who may intimidate him.

I should be able to walk him on the opposite side of the street without fear or worry of him or me showing anxiety.

If an aggressive dog has a problem with an intimated dog, that's on that dog and the owner, not on me or my dog.

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

My dobermans don't belong on that list.

Buck Turgidson and CCity Zero like this.
  10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

C'mon man. You're comparing a car to a living being. There has never been a day in my life did I walk a street in fear of a roaming car chasing me down to run me over.

11. Buck Turgidson

You obviously never watched Maximum Overdrive as a kid.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah I don't like pits. They were bred to be fighters. It's just who they are. So while I don't wish to ban them or anything, I just want nothing to do with them. Keep your pit away from me and my little ones, I don't care if it is the nicest dog in the world and has won a Nobel Peace Prize.

R0ckets03 and Yung-T like this.
  13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

#1 should definitely be snoop

14. Buck Turgidson

That was D-O-Double G, you see, so that's totally different dogs.

15. droxford

droxford Member

You don't. Just keep him on a leash and under your control at all times. It's that simple.

I agree. I But if you live among others who do not control their dogs, carry pepper spray with you.

I agree. But their incompetence can become your problem. Prepare for their incompetence by carrying pepper spray. No, you shouldn't have to. But that's the world we live in.

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

As I mentioned, I no longer have a dog. Everytime I am walking and see the pits I make sure I am well away and also see which parked car or truck I will jump on if he gets loose. The walker (a small, thin woman) is using all her strength to keep her dog under control.

They have had the police called on them at least twice for attacking other dogs (too bad the other owners and dogs were unaware they shouldn't show anxiety or fear).

In the second instance the pit was pulled off the other dog before there was damage. It will take a second attack with damage before they remove the dogs. For the life of me, I don't know why they don't muzzle them. They have two and the owners finally agreed to walk them separately.

17. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I hate bad dog owners. Too many of them have them off leash in parks where they're not allowed. I was biking with my toddler on a trailer on a hike/bike trail and a stupid Gen Z couple had their terriers off leash. Of course it runs in my path so I had to brake hard and nearly wipeout to stop, almost injuring myself. Not gonna stop next time.

A lady from a connecting neighborhood also walks her dogs down my street. She let her golden poop on the grass and left it there. I was able to pull up the camera feed and took a screen shot, then placed signs with her picture all over the street. She started picking up her dogs poop. Mission accomplished.

Yung-T likes this.
  18. ATXNekko

ATXNekko Member

I've been bitten attacked three times in my life. The first time when I was in 7th grade at a girls house, she had a Doberman I had been around numerous times. The dog had a litter in the last few weeks and when I came over ran up and rubbed on my leg and I petted the dogs head while talking to her. When I stopped petting her and started to walk from the yard to the house the dog took a bite out of my hand. No warning or anything..

Second time, I walked up the steps to another friends house. The dog had been sleeping under the camper in the drive way. Next thing I know the dog is barring teeth and all over me going for the throat. Girls dad came out with a gun and fired a shot then nicked the dog as it ran away. This I really thought I was going to be lunch was a mixed breed.

Final time. I went to a friends house whose dog was always an ass and even made me think once that the chain fence was all that was keeping that little monster from going all out on me. Goofing off in the backyard one afternoon I turned to chase down my buddy and the dog went for me and took some bites of my arm and ankle. Another mixed mutt.

Lived out in the country back then and dogs are dogs. I had a buddy across the street whose Doberman and Retriever would hunt and kill deer. I love dogs and have owned many. I do not like the JASS with Pit Bulls who want to put their dog in my face while I'm at a concert at Auditorium Shores with my dog, then tell me how Pits are just misunderstood and the most loveable animal in the world blah blah. The Austin shelters are over running with them and you cant rent with one. Keep it on a leash and keep it a respectable distance unless I ask to pet the dog.

19. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Same thing happened to me with a buddys pitbull. The pit was always around us and always came up to me for pets and there was nothing ever slightly off when I was near her. One day we were watching tv on the couch and I start petting her and I guess my face got too close to hers and without warning, like you, she just snapped at my face gashing my eyelid. **** that dog.

Ive also been around another friends pit, which was the most massive and stacked pit Ive ever seen and petted, his name was Zeus(fittingly) and he was the biggest cuddle bug baby in the world. That dog just didnt give a damn what was going on around him, he just had to have his butt leaned against somebodys leg if he couldnt get on the couch.

20. dobro1229

Your thinking way too into this. I’m simply talking about dogs natural alpha, beta, pack tendencies and the nature of the way they interact with other dogs. Every dog has the same tendencies if trained. It’s their physical traits that make them dangerous with the owners.

My point is you should train all dogs and more importantly train yourself to be a dog owner. I’ve seen some of the worst dog owners with chihuahuas or Yorkies because there is no training and the dog is miserable and the chihuahua bites little kids because it thinks it’s the alpha. Yes you should be able to walk your beagle in peace without being bit by a pit bull. I’ve said multiple times now that and it’s annoying that it’s getting ignored for the sake of acting personally insulted.

I think people should train with their dogs. Especially those with larger breeds. That’s it. This isn’t that complicated.

#60 dobro1229, Jan 2, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2021