1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A quick question

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by romain, Aug 31, 2008.

Tags:
  1. romain

romain Member

What's the difference between waive and renouce? I saw Loren Woods was waived by Rockets while Shaun Livingston was renouced by LAC.

Thanks in advance.

2. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

Waived players are under contract. Renouncing a player is refusing to pick up some sort of option, usually referring to restricted free agents who are not offered a tender offer.

3. Matt_Maloney

Matt_Maloney Rookie

i say we pick up Livingston and give him another shot, i think he is a great point guard that never reached his full potential because of his devastating injury in LA

4. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Renouncing a player usually happens when his contract is up. By renouncing his contract, you are giving up his bird rights and taking him completely off your payroll.

5. rock8ts

rock8ts Member

The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

another thing to add is waived player contracts still count against your team salary (see Matt Maloney). So players are waived mainly to make a roster spot. Renounced players have the option year removed from your cap (see Maggette). So, in practice, sometimes you help yourself by renouncing once a player to get under the cap.

fwiw: you can renounce your exceptions, too. Until you renounce them, they count against your cap, whether you use them or not.

7. AzNaNsZ

AzNaNsZ Member

I think we should at least wait another year before evening offering him a contract because that image of the injury still haunts me :eek: