1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A quick critique on my jumper plzzz

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jcee15, Jul 11, 2009.

Tags:
  1. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

Ugly shot, Michael Redd, I'll throw that **** everytime, or meh where's "baller the kid"

oh and in need of a mulligan on the side backboard shot sorry for the freeze frame on the fadeaway it just seemed to work <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KnyAVcQuXAg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KnyAVcQuXAg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> *edit* wrong forum oh well

2. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

That´s like a Jamal Crawford or Ben Gordon stroke.

Michael Redd shoots like Rashard Lewis, he brings behind his head and launches halfway with both hands, the rest with one.

If you want to copy a jumper, copy Ray Allen´s. He has the best and quickest stroke in the NBA.

3. Omer

Omer Member

First thing I thought of was Luther Head...but then again I haven't watched Head play since he was with the Rockets.

4. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Almeda 24?

The release reminds me of Von Wafer, but your off arm flies out more than his.

In terms of improvement, I would just suggest you keep your shooting elbow tucked in closer to your body. You can clearly see during the freeze frame that it's bowed out to the left. Otherwise, it looks like you get plenty of lift, and while the location of your guide hand isn't traditional, I think it's fine. I feel that aspect is sometimes given too much attention. It's really all about your shooting hand and your legs.

5. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

It's a little unorthodox...

6. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Your right arm flails about too much to help center the ball in your left palm. I never watched those basketball 101 videos but as someone with the best jumpshot in Houston, I use alot of wrist and very little arm in my release. You'll know it's working when you can knock them down with your eyes closed from different places on the court.

7. cdastros

cdastros Member

8. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

all I know is that you can stroke the J, the pickup game where you an frans 4 prez were going at it was beautiful to watch....

9. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Zero athletic ability, too small, not the prettiest shot but it does go in. My advice take up golf. :)

10. Big Shot Rob

Big Shot Rob Member

Nice shot at 0:24. Kind of resembles Brandon Jennings release.

11. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Reminds me of Shaq. :).

you got a quick release jumper.

12. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

OKAY, whatever you say!!!!......:rolleyes:

13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

The positive is doing the same motion every time. And as someone else pointed out, you have a nice quick release. The only suggestion I would add is to square your shoulders to the basket (appears you lead with one shoulder).

14. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Your release needs work. You seem to be concerned about releasing at the height of your jump. You jump, hit your apex, then fling. This results in more tension on your arms as you hold them in place and snap them like a rubber band on the release. You are cupping the ball, cocking your arms, and using your right hand to apply pressure. Release the pressure of your right hand and start pumping the ball with your shooting hand as you jump. The off hand is simply to stabilize. There really should be no pressure coming from the off hand onto your shooting hand.

A lot of power forward/big man types that have athleticism use this type of release. Since their game is based a lot on muscle/brawn, and they are used to being banged around on post up shots, they have a tendacy to hold the ball a lot tighter, elevate, hang, and then fire. And this type of shooting from guards is typical when they get in the paint and they have to jump over someone or double clutch or fade and release. But when you are working from the perimeter, facing the basket, and going out to the 3 point line to drill shots, the power behind the shot should come all from the legs with no muscling the ball with your arms.

I like the basics and you get great elevation. Convert your leg strength into the shot release by concentrating on applying no pressure with your off hand to the basketball.

15. blink

blink Contributing Member

everyone who critique should post their jumpers up :D

16. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

hey your jumper is pretty sweet. it's an actual jumper for one, where you're jumping and shooting. most people don't have the strength to jump and shoot like that but you seem to have the strength and range for it.

secondly it looks like a mix between von wafer and michael redd's form. just clean it up a bit...your right arm looks awkward after you release. try not moving it so much. your jumper looks real nice though.

you have good skill though...it seems like you can stop on a dime and shoot, which is hard to do for some people.

17. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

You Kind of look like JJ Barrera of the Mavs

18. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

U SUK HARD GET A LIFE!!!!!!!!!!

19. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

You need to keep your elbows in.

20. Egghead

Egghead Member

What gym is this at?