1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Question For Those Familiar with I-45 Between Dallas and Houston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RocketMan Tex, Aug 25, 2004.

1. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

OK, my BBS brothahs and sistahs....I need your help!

An old musician friend of mine from Cali is going to be in Dallas for a weekend in October and he will have access to a car.

That Saturday, he and I have decided to meet somewhere halfway between Dallas and Houston to have lunch, a couple of beers, and talk about the old days.

I haven't driven I45 between Dallas and Houston in years. I Mapquest-ed it, and it looks like the halfway point is the Madisonville area.

Is anyone familiar with this area? Does anyone know of a place in the area (or close by) where we could go for lunch and a couple of cold ones on a Saturday afternoon?

Preferable cuisines would be Texas Barbecue or country cookin'.

Also, A&M has a home game that Saturday afternoon, so (orange blood that I am) we would prefer to stay away from Bryan/College Station area if at all possible! :D

Thanks!

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

There is a Stuckey's in Centersville (unofficially the half way point between here in Dallas).

Stuckey's pie is worth stopping for.

3. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is a place called Sam's that has a superb all-you-can eat BBQ buffet. Furthermore, you get free bread that is more like cake - get it hot and it melts in your mouth. My Dad and I stop there every time we go to Dallas or Arlington for the guitar shows.

The name of the town that Sam's is in eludes me, but its right on the highway and there are billboards letting you know when you're getting close.

4. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I have eaten here a few times. It is good but I am not sure what city it is in either.

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The name "Sam's" is popular in Fairfield (about 60-90 miles south of Dallas I believe). Sam owns everything in that town I think. So you'll see Sam's this and Sam's that everywhere. So that may be the town you're talking about.

There're some mom & pop type places in Centerville & Madisonville.

6. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

My wife is from Dallas, so I've made that trip probably close to a hundred times. We also met halfway before a few times....come to think of it; we didn't even live together until several months after we were married--how wierd is that?

Anyway, that's kind of a "damp" area in terms of bars. You have to have memberships, but they aren't usually too expensive. We stayed at a bed and breakfast a few times, and it seems like those are the best bets for the best food (the ones we stayed at also served dinner, and it was definitely a "foodie" type event).

anyway, here's a place that has a "club" inside of it. The menu looks pretty good as well:

http://www.woodbinehoteltexas.com/

If nothing else, someone who runs a bed and breakfast in a SMALL town like Madisonville will be THE person to ask about "just grabbing a beer" and maybe some dinner.

7. Rocket G

Rocket G Contributing Member

Honestly, given the distance & time involved, you' be better served by taking hwy 6 up, and he I-35 down, to Waco.

You're both looking at about 2-2.5 hr's each way to reach the midpoint given all variables if you stay on 45. Seriously - just getting to Huntsville is an ordeal these days on 45...

If you go to Waco he'll have a slightly shorter drive, both have a more scenic route, plus you'll have a much better selection of cool little bars & restaurants...

Oh, and the aggies are HATED in Waco, so there you go.

8. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

The ride from Houston to Dallas is about as boring as any drive could be.

9. RocketMan Tex

I never realized this. Thank you for your help.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm not sure it's exactly true, however. I can make it to Dallas in three hours on a good day, and normally Saturday's a good day. My parents made it from Buffalo (exit 179) to Houston in under two hours last weekend. Plus, if it's an A&M game that weekend, you're gonna have to deal with traffic one way or another.

That said, if you're looking for somewhere to meet, Waco's probably a better option than anywhere on 45, even though it's at least two and a half hours for you. If you want some recommendations for places there, I'm your guy.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Until you make a drive out to El Paso.

12. RocketMan Tex

I've done that one. I was never happier to see the McDonald's in Fort Stockton, even though I don't even eat at McDonald's!:D

13. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Good point, the drive to El Paso is bad....which is why I do it at night while listening to the entire Led Zep box set, followed by the entire Dylan box set, followed by a audiobook of the unabridged Old Testament, followed by some Ayn Rand.....

14. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

Heheheh. A friend of mine has got Atlas Shrugged on CD if you need it. That guy is a freak. Alright, I'll stop now, before I fork this thread any further.

15. Rocket G

Rocket G Contributing Member

Saturday would cut down on your I-45 drive time - I'm used to leaving on Fridays where it literally takes almost 2 hours sometimes to get north of Huntsville...

That said, it would still be a shorter drive for your buddy to go to Waco. More of a scenic drive for you though, despite the length. Cool restaurants like Buzzard Billy's dtown. Cool little dives like George's & Scruffy's to drink beer in... I'm a Baylor grad though, so I might be biased.

Man, fball & beers on a Sat. afternoon. How i miss being an undergrad...

Which reminds me, I need to pick which game I'm going to make my annual Waco pilgrimage to to watch us get our asses kicked...

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Fairfield is about the halfway point. My Grandfather's family has reunions in Fairfield so I have been to that Sam's several times. There really isn't that many places around to eat in the area, so the Waco idea might be better. Its Okay. I can tell you this also RMTex, almost that whole area of the state is dry. So if you want some alcoholic bverages, be sure to bring some.

Also, in Fairfield, UPS trucks from Dallas and Houston meet up and switch trailers, so I'm pretty sure its almost exactly the halfway point between the two cities. Just a piece of useless info to throw in there.

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Centerville's actually the halfway point. 120 to both cities from there.

18. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, Fairfield is about a half hour north of Centerville.

19. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Yep, Fairfield is about half way from the Woodlands/Spring area.

20. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

There is a terrific barbeque place in Centreville, or Fairfield. It is on the side of the highway. They sell every kind of jerky you can imagine and their link and sliced beef sandwiches are to die for. The place is hardly fancy, but well worth a visit in that area. I am not sure if this place is called "Sam's," or not, but I recalled eating at this place in this general area. It was really, really good. I am not sure if I helped you at all here...