1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A potentially new way to use Yao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by agentkirb87, Dec 3, 2008.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

He doesnt have a problem with his jumpshot....they go IN, consistently...not a problem, no problema....i'm not sure why this is so difficult to understand...

He doesn't jump much on short jumpers, but on long jumpers and 3 pointers he has to jump or else he won't get enough arc on the shot to make it, it would be more of a line drive because of his shooting form.

2. ruglymonk

ruglymonk Member

YAO used to be a good mid-shooter when he was a Shark Shanghai China player. en.....about 45%..

3. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

His face up jumpshots do not consistantly go in. Only 37.5%. His turnaround jumpshot does consistantly go in. If he were to play the high post or shoot threes, he would be in fact shooting a faceup jumper not a turn around. The dude shoots 87.8% from the free throw line. That is a set shot. You draw a 15 foot radias from the rim and he should be able to hit that shot facing up at about a 50-60% clip. The problem is in the jump sir.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

where did you get the 37.5% from? If possible, look into the percentage whenhe shoots more than once. Like i mentioned earlier, his first attempt is always shaky. He has several games of going 0 for 1, then a few of 1 of 2, but when he shoots more, he makes more. For example, if in 20 games he goes 0 for 1 in 12, 1 for 2 in 6, and 3 of 4 in 2, that's your 37.5% right there. Its not a problem with his mechanics, but his mentality and touches. There's guys in the league who shoot about 60% free throws only because they get very few attempts and the 1 for 2 hurts their % dramatically, but when they get a lot of attempts in one game, they'll shoot like 80%.

5. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

37.5% because he is only taken like 8 jumpshots this season. 3/8 would be 37.5%... thats hardly a good enough sample to draw a conclusion from.

6. ryanbowen

ryanbowen Member

Yao does not need to jump to shoot over the defender the dude is 7'6 he can shoot over people. Yao has to straighten up his body, stretch his arms to the fullest and shoot the ball like it was a game of "netball" just look at this net ball video it sounds silly but Yao can use similar techniques while shooting at the post.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1gGRVWZCSFA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1gGRVWZCSFA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

We're talking about when he shoots 3 pointers, or at least I was. Not that I want him taking any 3 pointers (although i think he'd make 35%), but I didn't see anyone in that video shoot from farther than about 12 feet. Yao doesn't jump much from that range either. if he wants to shoot farther out he does have to jump some to get push and arc. I'm sure he could reach the basket with just snapping his wrist, but you're wrist is more likely to fatigue than your legs, you don't want to always shoot that way, you want some of both. Guys like shaq could probably shoot all wrist all the time, but that's because he has a lot of upper body strength and it's like shooting a tennis ball to him.

8. s3ts

s3ts Member

A big man outside the box is a waste of space.

If we want another shooter, bring in Brent Barry instead. He's much more mobile and he practices that shot.

Trust me, we want size in the paint, not shots outside of it, from Yao.

9. Mr.Pink

Mr.Pink Member

Texans should sign Yao to play linebacker. Damn, did you see that hit he put on McGrady?! Not only is Yao worthless on both sides of the ball, but now he's trying to hurt our best player?

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

If Yao can learn to hit the 3 consistently its a new weapon the Rox have at their disposal. One thing we have now with both SHane and Artest are two swingmen who have good post moves. Instead of having Artest take shots around the perimeter like he's Ray Allen, we can have Yao Ming camp in the three point line. The other team's big will have to follow Yao out there, because Yao should be able to to take his time and shoot over a 6-6 guard easily. This will open the lane up for Shane and Ron to work their magic inside.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Moving Yao occassionally out to the elbow is a good strategy, not if you want him to score the ball - in that spot he should be the 3rd or 4th option, but if you want to stop teams from fronting him.

Open up the lane for other post ups...Battier, Tmac, Artest, Scola, Landry...

Invert the offense for a spell......and use Yao in the Scola/Landry elbow area...have cutters on the baseline.

Give teams a different look.

DD

12. IamKhan

IamKhan Rookie

There have to be 10 better ways to beat fronting than yao's 3 pointers. Try hayes or scola to front yao during the practice.

13. DaDakota

Oh man....who said anything about 3pters? I was talking about the elbow.....

3pters....would be....well....a stretch...

DD

14. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

You know some people just dnt understand hoops. Inverting the offense is good, really good,plus I don't think that's really Yao's thing to constantly bang down low. Shaq, yea, because he didn't have range and he's super strong. Yao as with most overseas big guys, they didn't grow up playing like that. They were trained almost like guards in a sense, even the bigs.

Yao should turn and make himself a threat anyway when getting the ball at the elbow. Coaches always teach you to stay in a scoring position when in range. Yao should turn and face the basket at the ft line anyway to "see" the cutters. If the big sag to take the cutter, Yao should fire away. He can make that shot, so its not like rafer shooting a 3 or something.

15. DaDakota

100% true.

Actually Leeb, I play ball about 2 or 3 days a week, and in all honesty, I think maybe 10% of the people that I have played with in my more than 25 years understand the game.

Lots of people can dribble drive, or penetrate, but very very few understand defense, or how to move to open space without the ball, or that when your defender turns his head you go to the hoop.

It is staggering.....just yesterday, I was getting screens set and going around and drawing the double team, and could not get the screener to roll for the life of me.

Finally, I hit him in the head with a pass, and the very next time down the court, he trailed me into the lane for a layup....it worked for the next 2 hours...

But for the most part, people don't get it....even at the NBA level, you can see players that understand the game versus others that have gotten by on athleticism.

On the Rockets I think these players get it.

Tmac
    Rafer
    Yao
    Scola
    Battier
    Barry
    Hayes

Others only partially get it

Brooks
    Landry
    Luther
    Wafer
    Francis
    Dorsey
    Artest

I think some people are just more inclined to thinking the game than others.

DD

#75 DaDakota, Dec 5, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  16. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

obviously if he was that type of player still, he wouldn't be as good as he is today.

JVG made yao a better player offensively b/c he made yao utilize his advantages (height, strength, unmatched offensive skill).

it's fine that yao takes a mid-range J here or there, but please don't let it be a consistent occurrence. once yao starts floating outside, he'll float. his post-ups will be farther and farther. those short hook shots become longer; those fallaways become farther...

17. DaDakota

I would like to see 80-90% post ups, and 10-20% high post.....and when teams front him...move him out a bit, have several options for beating the fronting D...that being one of them.

DD

18. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

isn't that common sense? when an opponent tries to take something away, either you have something else (even if the point is not to score) so your opponent would have to think about it?

i've said it a million times. run a pick and roll just to move yao outside. or put yao in the high post b/c at least his defender has to float out there to open up the paint. or force yao to move from side to side so it causes commotion in their fronting defenses (though that may be tiring).

however, when you do that, your guards have to penetrate and force the defense to collapse. next time yao posts up, they won't be as aggressive fronting him b/c they have to think about the paint.

the problem with how we go about fronting defense is that we just waste time and try to force yao the ball and our guards don't even think about doing something else. they just try to force-feed yao the ball. use yao as a decoy. pretend to look for him and then ignore him. that's why we always go on huge droughts playing teams like this that front him.

it's not that hard to solve.

OR, just maybe or, play scola/landry at the same time???

19. DaDakota

I have been saying the same thing for a long time.......

DD

20. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

Maybe before last year this was true, but Yao has actually scored much better against fronting defenses. If the ball movement is good and the defensive rotations are slow, Yao can get deep position against a much smaller opponent on the other block. if a team mate shoots an outside shot, Yao should have a pretty good shot at a offensive rebound and a put back.

I think most teams do try to front Yao, but its not exactly the easiest thing to do. I think the wizards were trying to with their young rookie, but Yao was just way too physical for anyone on that team. He just came down and pinned that guy everytime.