1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A place to tell Tim and the Rockets..."Please don't spin this season"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SA Rocket, Apr 15, 2003.

1. SA Rocket

SA Rocket Contributing Member

Hopefully the Rockets are getting the message loud and clear, from this site anyway, that we are severely disappointed with the teams regression as the season went on. Seeing as how Tim is both the Rocks' marketing guru and a part of this site, I wanted to start a specific thread that he could pass on to Rockets' brass just how unwilling we are to accept anything other than the truth about this season. So please sign on and send your feelings on to the team this way.

Tim, please tell the brass not to try to paint some phony, rosy picture as to how this season was anything other than a total and frustrating failure. There were no significant injuries and youth doesn't cut it when you're 4 years in or so and your team gets worse, not better, as the season goes on. And the same crap was happening under Rudy as well, so please don't use that as an excuse, either. Other than Yao's emergence, there were few bright spots. The best thing the team can do, from a PR standpoint, is to be brutally honest with us about the lack of development of these players as a team and the apparent inability of the coaches to affect the players' performance/roles in a team structure.

I'd understand if you can't respond, given your position Tim. But it sure would be interesting to hear your viewpoint on this. Thanks for letting us feel as though we have some input anyway.

2. a la rockets

a la rockets Contributing Member

I might be an ignorant fool,but who is Tim and what position does he hold in the the Rockets staff?:confused: :confused:

ALA

3. qrui

qrui Member

Well said SA Rocket. I second that. We as fans like to have some serious answers.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

VP Marketing Tim McDougall

5. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

The truth shall set you free.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Exactly,

We are tired of the excuses, we are young, we are developing chemistry, we are learning to trust.

Hogwash !!!

The problem is that pieces of this team do not fit with the new direction, and it was entirely the Rockets front office that made the decisions that brought us here.

No R. Lewis for Eddie Griffin. Najera for Langhi, KT for Posey, EG over R. Jefferson..etc...etc..etc.

Show some sack, own up to the fact that the team was horrible this year, and than tell us HOW THE HECK the Rockets are going to fix it.

Here is what I would like to hear from the front office.

"We are very dissappointed with the results of this year, everyone in the organization will be evaluated. Only the people that we think will help us get to the next level will remain. We are committed to getting this ship righted, and nothing will stop us from that goal."

Now that would show some sack and send a message to the slackers that dot the Rockets roster.

DD

7. superpro

superpro Member

I asked the same question about one and a half month ago, and got laughed at by the crew and ppl here.

Just a nice reminder, the ppl and crew here assume you know Tim and that we have a communication channel open between ROX and the Clutch.net. Don't get upset if ppl start to laugh at you as if you are an idot.

8. Toast

Toast Member

VP of Marketing telling the CEO how to run his business. Yeah, that's how businesses are run :rolleyes:

Why would you start a thread asking a guy to basically get himself fired?

9. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Its not quite the same as simply passing along information to yur boss.

I'll tell you guys this:
    I worked for the Rockets for all of about 2 weeks trying to sell season tickets over the phone. I got another job and wasn't there that long, but I'll tell you that everyone in the organization with internet access checks this site. Every damn one of them. I never walked past a computer that didn't have this site up at one point or another.

Trust me. Not to stop this thread, as I think its a good and fair idea, but they already know how people here feel.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Thanks, Lynus. You've been holding out on us. ;)

11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Thank You for starting this thread.

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Have we, the fans, not already told the Owner Alexander and all others in the Rox family how we feel? It is simple, check the voting boxes. Too few Chads, or Joes or Janes, hangin' around the tix office.

The thread is valid. Did Tim do his job? Don't know. But, I do know Rudy/CD didn't do theirs. Owner Alexander didn't do his. And the players sure as (poor) shooting did not do their job.

So, Mr Owner Alexander, sir, do be honest with the (non)paying public. Be honest with yourself. And be prepared tp pay the dreaded Luxury Tax or hope your ping pong balls sing HaVah Nah Gilah, loud and clear in '04.

13. MManal

MManal Member

Fully agree SA Rocket. Reading your post along with the ones from cabbage and Clutch are a breath of fresh air. Im so glad that the lame "Give us time" opinions are confined mostly to Feigan's articles and Freak's and HP's annoying posts. This is not something that just magically happened over night, it was pretty evident about 15 games into the season and slowly began to gain steam. More and more fans have come to notice the fact that this team simply does not fit well together, and a change is needed. If there are no changes, this team will miss the playoffs again a 5th straight time, but I seriously doubt they will stand pat based on what you read on this board and such.

14. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

No prob, Deckard.

One thing players love about the Rockets is they keep things within the organization. What if RudyT and Les bust out with "Cuttino is out of here," or "We've been trying to teach Moochie to count to 24 for a few seasons now,"? If they said something like that and were then unable to move them, it would be a complete and total disaster for years to come.

I agree that the Rockets should admit that they are diappointed and frustrated with the team, and I believe they've done that. But if any of you want and/or expect them to call out anyone specifically, sorry. Its not going to happen.

Changes are in order and changes will come.

15. goophers

goophers Member

With all the publicity given to this team and all the expectations (which weren't exceptionally high) I had, this was a very disappointing season. All the worries I had coming into the season were pretty much never realized, yet we couldn't even reach the playoffs. I mean, at the start of the season, if I was told that Cato hustled, no major injuries, Yao met expectations, Cuttino played some D, our defense improved - heck, I'd have said we had homecourt. What are we supposed to expect when we have real adversity, like injuries?

16. solid

solid Contributing Member

If anyone has ever played basketball, coached basketball, or even watched basketball, surely, knows without hesitation that the curret Rockets are one of the most undisciplined, disorganized, and inconsistent teams in the history of this franchise. They make the same obvious mistakes not just over a few games, not just over season, but year after year. This group needs much much more than "just more time to play together." They seem to have no clue what they are going to do on offense. They dribble the face off the ball, and get more shot clock violations than any team in recent memory. Since they rarely play defense, that isn't even an issue. The idea that an adjustment here or there will fix this group is pure fantasy.

Futhermore, three drug related arrests in two years should send up a red flag. The Traffic Safety Counsel says that every such arrest is signal that the person drove intoxicated on many other occasions (as many as 500 according to research data). The personal habits of the players on this team need to be looked at carefully. Their erratic play may be somewhat accounted for by extracurricular activities.

The "real" young players like Ming and Griffin appear poorly developed. Griffin looks utterly lost, and Ming was underutilized. Both seem without direction. Francis, Mobley, and Norris just keep doing their thing which seems largely disconnected from the team's success.

Let's talk business, if you don't transform or reconstruct this group, it will take more than a snappy ad compaign to fill seats. The hard core fans, by and large, really are disgusted with this "team."

17. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Any city that can only manage 10,000 fans at a game in the thick of a playoff race doesn't deserve any 'explanation'.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I guess the fans knew all along that the team was crap, and decided to vote with their pocket book.

Good for us...I went to more then a few games this year, and I can say one thing for sure.

The Rockets DO NOT play hard, they only play the last 3-4 minutes of each half at a very competitive level.

They play a very passive game on offense and defense...it is disgusting, and if the fans decide that they do not want to watch one on one ISO-Hip-Hop-stop ball, than they have a right to say so...

The team needs changes, as some of the cogs do not fit in with the new regime.

The Rocks need a REGIME CHANGE.

DD

19. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

holding someone responsible for signing Moochie Norris for 6 years would be a start.

20. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

DD, I agree with you on just about most issues. The thing about KT, he fit into the old style the Rockets used to play along with Cat. I watch philly now, and I don't see them isolating kt on anyone. If he scores, most of the times its in the flow of the offense.