1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

a penny from heaven?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Onepaks, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Onepaks

Onepaks Member

what do you guys think of penny hardway as our starting pg?
    I know hes not the same player as he was with the magic and he has an albatross contract but can you imagine him as our pg, tmac as our sg. Talk about height. Can we trade mo taylor and spoon for him. Both players have an albatross contract so knicks might not agree so why not taylor and spoon for hardaway then TE and a first rounder for mohammad. We get our starting pg and backup center. Hardaways contract is shorter than mo and mohammad will end next year. Penny is not a superstar anymore. Though he gets paid like one but so does mo. He is a pg trapped in sg body. Isnt that perfect for this team? We dont need a sg trapped in a pg body. He will be asked to be the third or fourth option in this team. offensively he can post up the shorter point guards like Parker, bibby, Nash, Ford etc... Defensively no one can shoot over him but i can say he will have problems againts lightning quick pg but thats were team defense comes in. Knicks might do this so they can include Kurt Thomas and the TE for other potential trades coz nobody wants penny. If they get Crawford and Dampier then they would be set. What do you guys think?

2. ty185

ty185 Member

how much is mohammad (ugh... who is that? is that mutombo (sp?) or someone I don't really know about?) getting paid? if you mean mutombo, I thought his contract is bigger than our TE?

3. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Actually, I never thought about him, but Hardaway doesn't seem that bad. He is up there in years but he could fit in well on the team. He certainly wouldn't be a bad option to man the position for two seasons while we find a better option. His contract is over $14 mil. so I think that is waaay to much to pay for him and he has been injury prone the past few years. Now Mohammed I wouldn't mind being Yao's backup at all.

So, I see two problems, Penny's age, health, and HUGE contract, and your scenario has Spoon going back to NY which I would find it hard to think they would take him back after finally getting rid of him last season. That would be like us taking Moochie back.

4. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

The good thing with big contract is that we will have a BIG cap
    relief when they come off the book. Also, we are over the cap
    anyway and only have MLE and LLE to spend. We may be
    careful about long term big contract but short-term one won't
    affect us except Les's bank

5. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

No way....he has no movement on defense from all the knee injuries so he wouldn't be worth trading for.He has been injured so much you would be lucky to have him for half the games.We can get a better fit somewhere else.

6. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Penny isn't a PG anymore. He hasn't been a PG since Orlando, and he hasn't been a good PG since his injury. He would get eaten up defensively by any PG with decent quickness. He would have been a good option with Steve because he would have been a pass-first SG that would have complimented Steve's game, but he wouldn't help out the Rox much today, especially at his salary.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What about Lil'Penny?

8. deadlybulb

deadlybulb Contributing Member

Nazr Mohammed. He's a decent center who put up great # starting for the Hawks the season before last.

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

Trading for Penny makes no sense for either team. NY would much more likely want his contract to simply expire than to take on longer salary albatrosses in either Weatherspoon and/or Taylor's contract. From our standpoint, Trading for Penny, due to hist humongous cap figure, basically guts our roster so we won't have any depth. And depth will be a huge problem considering his injury history.

The only way such a trade can happen is if we do a separate deal using the TE. Where we take on an extra couple of the Knicks contracts to cover our depth. In which case, we wouldn't have any salary cap relief next year because of the extra contracts from the TE.

10. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Actually I like Penny. I wouldn't mind him coming in and working between 1 and 2 guard positions but I would have a real problem depending on him for an entire season as a starter just because of injuries. I think he is an intellegent player that could handle the position just fine as long as he is healthy.

11. Darrinlane

Darrinlane Member

Penny is pretty much a slow 2 guard now.That doesn't fill our needs. Damn.....he had such talent when he was with Shaq. It's too bad what injuries do to some players careers(Hill).

12. Sane

Sane Member

They have Kurt Thomas and Sweetney at PF. What could we possibly offer them?

One thign I'd like to do is get Kurt Thomas and Dikembe Mutombo. Kurt Thomas would be a nice player to share time with JH while Mutombo would be an ideal backup to Yao.

Combined they make around 9M? We have no decent contracts, only really small ones and really big ones.

Would they have any interest in MoT? Are they looking for more scorers? The Knicks don't really care about money. If they like a player, they'll just take him regardless of the price. MoT is a scorer, would they like a player like him?

I think they'd like to have Pike to backup Houston at the 2. He's a good backup, can play good minutes and provides the shooting they lack outside of Alan Houston.

But what else?

13. Darrinlane

Darrinlane Member

I thought Mutombo had a horrible max+ contract. Did it go down this year?

14. Sane

Sane Member

The Nets cut him and then the Knicks signed him to 2-year MLE contract. I believe, though I'm not sure, he makes around 4.5M this coming season and that's it.

15. ty185

ty185 Member

oops... thx for that.

hehe. feeling like an idiot now :p