1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

A "net possessions created" stat (applied to Rockets)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

GATER... considering your signature, why would you even look at this thread.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Seeing is believing. But what your eyes are seeing and what my eyes and the eyes of Adelman, JVG, and Rudy T are seeing are quite different.

3. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

Fact: Chuck Hayes IS an extremely valuable player. Thank you proving this durvasa.

4. durvasa

I don't think this has anything to do with Gater's dislike of stats. He uses stats when it suits his argument. He has a certain philosophy on what strategies work in the NBA, and it differs from that of the Rockets organization and coaching staff, which is perfectly fine. But no sane person is against the use of objective data to aid decision making, in principle.

He's trying to turn it into a "$ball" versus "watching the game" issue, which is ludicrous. Trust me Gater, the people in the Rockets organization watch tons more film than you. You just have a different opinion on what works.

5. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

you're a one-eyed monster.

6. choujie

choujie Member

Why is offensive rebounds twice as much as defensive rebounds?
    To me, a missed defensive rebound =an offensive rebound by other team = an extra posession for opponent team = one less posession for our team.

They should be considered equally, at least not by a 7:3 margin.

7. durvasa

The value of defensive and offensive rebounds at the team level differs from their value at the individual level.

As a team, if you don't get the defensive rebound, that means you gave up an offensive rebound. And vice versa. That's not the case for individual players.

The value of offensive rebounding, for individuals, is more because if the player didn't get the offensive rebound there's a very strong likelihood that the opposing team would have gotten the defensive board. But on the other end, if a player doesn't get the defensive rebound, a teammate is much more likely to be in position to get it.

8. choujie

choujie Member

This is knid of punishment to good defensive rebounders. I don't think 5 Rafers will get you a lot of defensive rebounds. You still need some good rebounders to get it after all. It is true that defensive rebounds are more of a teamwork, but 7:3 margin seems too large.

9. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Huh? Rafer is getting .3 off rebs and 3.0 def rebs, or a 10:1 ratio this year. For his career, he gets .4 to 2.4, or a 6:1 ratio. In other words, he's an even weaker offensive rebounder than the ratio indicates.

In terms of possession creation/extension, .7 to .3 is about right.

10. durvasa

A lot of defensive rebounds are uncontested. That's rarely the case for offensive boards. And some times a player gets credit for the defensive board when another player did most of the work.

Defensive rebounding is important, but adding a better defensive rebounder to your team has much less of impact on team defensive rebounding than adding a better offensive rebounder has on your team offensive rebounding. See this discussion for a more detailed analysis, if you like.

11. g1184

g1184 Member

Too bad there's no measure for fouls drawn. For instance, when Battier draws a charge, its as if the opponent possession didn't exist, and the rockets got the ball twice in a row.

12. durvasa

I'm sure someone is tracking that, and the numbers will show up eventually. 82games has charge taken leaders for last season.

13. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

It's good to see Hayes getting more credit. The guy does so many things and it really pissed me off to see people writing him off all summer because we picked up Scola. Or better yet the complaining because he doesn't have a great offensive game.

Hayes is the type of guy a Championship team needs. All the guy does is do what he does great and let's other players do the things he can't do. He is more valuable than Battier IMO.

14. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

How about just possession index or possession usage rating?

15. vizier

vizier Member

net_poss_creation = 0.7*orb + 0.3*drb + stl - tov + 0.7*blk - 0.7*missed_FG
    - 0.5*OF - 0.3 * F

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Cool. But it certainly needs some refinement.

1. Why didn't you include drawing charge?

2. A missed fg should be included. But should be weighed much less than a turnover because a fg attempt has the potential to score while a TO does not.

Just my .02

17. g1184

g1184 Member

durvasa,

I like yours the way it is, if you define it as the measure of how many possessions that player has provided for your team outside the regular flow of the game.

I think missed/made fgs and dreb are part of the regular back/forth flow and shouldn't be counted. Anything that disrupts that flow should be (steal, TO, off reb, etc).

Blocked shots are tricky because it depends on who gets possession after that. Block+grab (like turbo blocks in nba street) are equivalent to a steal. Blocked shots that go to a teammate are equivalent to a missed fg + defensive rebound. A blocked shot that goes out of bounds is equivalent to nothing, just wasted time on shot clock.

Question: if yao blocks kobe's shot, and mcgrady comes up with it, is mcgrady credited with the steal? Is that like two players getting 0.5 sacks each in football?

if 82games does keep track of charges taken then it'd be great to add to your formula somehow.

I really like your idea and believe it is a useful stat. Whatever the formula ends up becoming, make sure it matches your definition.