1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Morey Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by THE_TRUTH_HURTS, Feb 19, 2015.

1. THE_TRUTH_HURTS

Haven't posted here in a while but between Barkley eating more donuts and the non-Dragic trade a lot of people have been unfairly criticizing Morey.

Since Morey has been GM the Rox have not had a single losing season. Not one. He managed to do this while transitioning from two so-called superstars with huge contracts who (only one) barely made it out of the first round. He took a team he inherited, kept them competitive when the "stars" became even more shells of themselves, then brought in an MVP caliber player and an All-NBA player. Think about that. He gave us a championship contender (any team with an MVP like Harden would be a contender) without subjecting us to tanking. That's *****ing awesome. No other team has managed to do that. Even the Spurs had to tank to get Duncan.

Yeah Morey didn't get Dragic. But that doesn't mean he wasn't active. It's not like Dragic even wanted to be here. Let's face it, Houston doesn't have the "sexiness" of NY, MIA, or LA. Honestly him naming those places makes me like Dragic way less. But my point is if you looked at the team at the beginning of the season, then told you he traded for Smith, Prigioni, and Brewer at the deadline everyone on CF would be j*izzing themselves, right? The timing doesn't mean anything. He made moves earlier instead of later.

I don't always agree with his philosophies but that could be because he's smarter than me. In my mind results are all that matter. The job of a GM is to give the coach the tools he needs to make a winning team. He's done that and I appreciate him for that.

1 person likes this.
  2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

We have a contending team.

Not perfect, but pretty good.

And in position to make additional moves when the opportunity presents itself.

3. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Lol, @ SAS tanking.... It's not like their franchise has been run like the 76ers (it was 1 year due to injuries). I'd almost rather have had the Rockets tank (prior to the Harden acquisition) if it meant having a shot at an Anthony Davis / a Tim Duncan type player.

Morey has definitely made some nice moves but let's see him get more than regular season accolades with his teams... Hopefully Dwight is healthy and houston contends for more than just HC advantage for the first round.

4. newAge_Rockets

There's not another guy in the NBA I would rather run the Rockets than Daryl Morey. The man has got a plan, let's just see how it plays out.

5. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I love Morey. It's so easy to forget sometimes what he has done here.

The thing that absolutely baffles my mind though, is how everyone talks about how this team is all Harden, but when it comes to trading people, everyone says "not D-Mo, not Jones, not (enter anyone not named Beverley or Dorsey here)". I mean people are honestly upset about losing Isaiah freaking Canaan. I mean, seriously?

I guess we've all been spoiled by Morey to the point we expect to get players like Dragic for nothing.

6. topfive

topfive CF OG

OP must not have heard. The only good move during Maurey's tenure was when he lucked into being handed James Harden on a silver platter. :grin:

7. clos4life

clos4life Member

I'm rather happy with how the trade deadline has worked out. Personally, I don't see what people are unhappy about, this is about as good as you could have done given the circumstances.

I like Gogi but I wasn't giving up the farm for 2 months and him refusing to sign here after. Let's target Durant.

In short, great job Murray.

8. THE_TRUTH_HURTS

The Duncan point is fair but the Supurs were total crap before Robinson got there, and they tanked for looooooooooong time to get him. Are you telling me you would want to go through 3-4 seasons for a chance at someone who might make an impact while Morey actually delivered us one?

He's given us the foundation for a great team for a while even though it bothers me a little that Beverly has suddenly gone lin on us and howard has suddenly aged 20 years.

1 person likes this.
  9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Haha, I'm with you there, if your name isn't harden or Howard you're tradable, especially if it makes the team better. I don't get too attached to the non-stars, I'm a Rockets fan first.

10. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Well, I guess I meant if it was a season or 2 and we could be guaranteed a star I'd be okay with it (if we hadn't got Harden), but you're right, Morey really pulled probably one of the most lopsided trades off in history by bringing Harden here. I mean Harden is one of the best players in the league (today) and clearly candidate for MVP, and I also can't fault him for going all in during the off-season and also dealing with the injuries to Dwight etc. this season. I mean it wasn't his fault in 09 with the Yao injury (unfortunately it happens), and he definitely tried everything he could.

I just hope Dwight is back for the playoffs and even if it doesn't go well this year, that next year they get a PG upgrade or something, and find a way to keep Smith cheap (that was definitely a great pickup). Then if that doesn't work rebuild with Harden and Durant in 16 or at least swing for the fences again.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I like Daryl, I may not always agree with his moves, but I think he honestly is doing what he can to make the team a contender - and I respect that.

DD

12. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, I have to agree with you, no matter how pessimistic I've been lately, definitely going for it.

13. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

^ my pessimism is more a franchise playoff drought anyway, and not on Morey's performance.

14. NotChandlerParsons

Don't forget that time he accidentally stole Dwight Howard from the Lakers. Murrey!!!!

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I appreciate he didn't gut the team, and got a potentially good guard in KJ. We need young talent. Prigioni is a good player better than his years, but if there was a chance to acquire Augustin for Jones , I would have done it.

I like Jones, but getting a quality PG was our biggest need. I know that would have left us with Smith who can depart, but you have to give up something to get better. I am glad we have the Pelicans pick and the NY 2nd. I hope Perkins will be waived by the Jazz, and join us. Dorsey can be cut for him.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Morey is a pretty good GM. You can critique the guy for sure, but you can't complain about the overall direction.

17. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

This describes me, the guy has completely won me over. Morey busts his tail to get it right.

18. rockets belle

rockets belle Member

Some fans are just spoiled. "Get it done Morey!!!!"
    I really wanted Dragic but I don't want to give up the NO pick and a substantial asset for a freaking rental. No way.

19. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

when POR and OKC got better ... #SMH

I'll reserve my final judgment until the end of our playoff run, but IMHO, with Harden's MVP year, we should have gone all in.

20. CCorn

CCorn Member

Morey didn't get lebron, he got a pepperoni.

This **** is inexcusable! I won't take it any more!!!