1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

A&M vs UT

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mr. Brightside, Nov 25, 2005.

Tags:
  1. junglerules

junglerules Member

As long as this is your opinion, we'll know that it doesn't count because you clearly haven't watched a damn Texas game this year. Somehow, the weak spot in the team, the wideouts, is suddenly a "great supporting cast" that makes him look better than he is? What??? Oh, and I'm sure Billy Pittman is averaging 25 yards a catch because he's running little 5 yard hooks and flat patterns. Right.....Maybe he's just taking every little 5 yard route 70 yards after the catch because he's part of a tremendous supporting cast!! :rolleyes:

Bottom line- the arguments many people could make about Vince in the past years they cannot make so easily now. He no doubt struggled today, but the entire team looked flat for some reason. And if it only takes one bad game for all the haters to come out, then I'm sure if he redeems himself in the big 12 championship game, the haters will find something else to pick at. Make no mistake- he played a bad game today. But, if Heisman was on his brain and the team's collective brain, let's hope this performance wiped that out of the way and brought the focus back to the team instead.

2. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

Here's what I don't get:

As fans, we hate to see when a player isn't bothered by his poor performance. So why are people getting on Vince for feeling like he let his team down? I don't think Vince was mad that he lost the Heisman as much as he knew he wasn't performing to his abilities. Yes, we were still winning but Vince knew the game was way closer than it should have been.

IMO there's nothing wrong with feeling that you're letting your team down even though you may still be ahead on the scoreboard.

3. IC2000

IC2000 Contributing Member

Honestly I realize ut did not play their best game but a lot of it had to do with aM just playing really well and ut not being focused or what now. It was the game everyone expected at the beginning of the year

4. IC2000

I watched the majority of the games, he makes some other passes. But these guys are streaking wide open in the middle of the field or up the sideline. Basically as long as he realizes they are open and throws an ok pass then you have a touchdown. This was true especially in the tech and baylor games. Regardless, my point is that he gets way too much credit for being a great quarterback, when in reality he is just a great player (due to his running). My beef is with all these ut homers (who prob did not even go there or have any affiliation), talking about how the texans should get him. I think Reggie Mcneal or Brad Smith are just as good.

5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I don't know, maybe he was disappointed in the team's play and thinking about things to do different for next week? Hard to "infer" that he's thinking about the Heisman Trophy or any other individual award, especially given the fact that anyone with a pulse knew he didn't have a chance to win it regardless of how he played today.

6. The Cat

Have you ever watched a USC game?

The USC backs and receivers usually don't have anyone within five yards of them downfield. It's the byproduct of having such a great team - somewhere there's a mismatch and they will exploit it. Same for Oklahoma last year, Miami three years ago... etc. If you're going to apply the "Vince is only good because his receivers are often wide open" line of logic, that's fine, but realize that same logic applies to Leinart, Bush and all the other stars of recent great football teams.

7. IC2000

Yea you are pretty much making my point for me , Whatever happened to : Ken Dorsey and Jason White. Bush is clearly not a quarterback and makes plays by himslef , much like vince does running. Leinart makes great throws all the time, but yes he does benefit from his team as well.

8. Fatty FatBastard

As a Raider, I will say that A&M played a hell of a lot better game against UT than we did.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

well, then you're just wrong. if you honestly think that then you're just so ridiculously biased that you can't see how good Vince is.....or yesterday's game was the first UT game you've seen this season.

10. IC2000

This is what I am talking about, UT fans are crazy. Its altleast close, i am not crazy for thinking they are in the same league.Whats hilarious is how everybody agreed last year that Reggie Mcneal was better, they even commented during the game how quickly things have turned around. Reggie had a very bad team that was full of injuries and a group or wrs who cant catch to save life.

11. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Only Aggies thought Reggie McNeal was better, even last year.

Vince Young was amazing in the Rose Bowl.
    Reggie McNeal was amazing in?

Name 1 BIG game Reggie McNeal has helped A&M win in the last 2 years.

You can say it's the talent surrounding the team but that's a very superficial analysis. Texas has a lot more talent but Vince Young singlehandedly won the game against Michigan last year. Our freshman receivers were awful. Our only legitimate target was David Thomas.

This year, Young has helped develop the WR's into playmakers. He beat Ohio State with his pinpoint passing on the road and because of his presence created running holes for Jamaal Charles and Ramonce Taylor.

Reggie McNeal is not even close to being a great leader nor is he a great QB.

12. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

oklahoma?

was mcneal on that team that beat Oklahoma?

13. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

nice qualifier

14. The Cat

They didn't have the arm to play in the NFL. It doesn't change the fact that they were great college players. OTOH, it's not just Dorsey and White. Peyton Manning had an outstanding supporting cast in college and benefitted from those same "wide open" plays. How is he doing now?

Also, that you act like this phenomenon is exclusive to quarterbacks is ridiculous. Bush does it by himself? Are you kidding? There were plays in the Fresno State game where he was 20 yards downfield before a defender was within five yards of him. He has the reigning Heisman winner at quarterback, one of the top offensive lines in the country and the greatest collection of surrounding skill position players (likely) in the history of college football. As a result, some of the holes Bush has are enormous... there are dozens of backs in college football who could be very successful given that situation.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Bush isn't very good, because he is. But he benefits from "wide open" plays just as much as quarterbacks on great teams do.

15. superden

superden Contributing Member

oh geez,
    ive watched vince play from the very beginning. his throwing has improved and he knows how to make plays. we all can agree that he can improve on his throwing more and sure he might not be very cut out to be a nfl quarterback, but give the guy credit where credit is due. dont try to take anything away from him bc his wr are open or because his o line is good. sure it is true, but he still has to make the plays, he still has to make the decisions. vince didnt have a good game yesterday, but i will want him over reggie mcneal or brad smith on our team any day.

im not really into the whole mud slinging between the aggies and longhorns, but all i know is that there were some aggies that defaced my longhorn on my car. not cool.

16. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Andre Ware
    Gino Toretta
    Danny Wuerffel
    Eric Crouch
    Jason White

need I go on?

17. Bassfly

Bassfly Member

Jacked this off orangebloods.com

Reggie's career

All I have to say is.. if you still think Reggie McNeal is still as good of a quarterback as VY... then I don't know man.

18. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

If a player regresses in his junior and senior year, then he's not a good player let alone a great player.

19. superden

superden Contributing Member

you cant really count the loss to texas since he didnt play.

20. IC2000

Can you even compare the freaking talents on the teams?You people are idiots!!!!