1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A&M an NCAA tourny bubble team???

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Refman, Feb 18, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Everybody knows that I support the Aggies. But even I can't believe that ESPN would use the words "Texas A&M" and "NCAA tourny" in the same thought.

I'd love it if it happened...but not a chance...not yet at least.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

what about Rice?

3. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

It would be a great thing, but I would be happy just making the NIT. I think Melvin Watkins has us heading in the right direction, I just hope the loss of Bernard King next year doesn't hurt too much.

4. Major

Major Member

No Big12 team with a winning conference record has not made the NCAA Tourney. A&M needs to finish out 4-2 and pull an upset in the Conference Tourney and they'd probably be in. Colorado is the more likely pick, but A&M is next in line, as the B12 is projected to get 6 teams in.

Not easy, but they are definitely a possibility. :eek:

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Ah, Aggies and their wrong forums. ;)

I hope they get in, but it really seems to be Colorado's to lose.

6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

We're 15-7 this season. I don't see us making the tourney. If we win the WAC tournament, though, it could be another story. The NIT would be tough since we don't draw fans.

I might add that Rice beat Colorado this season.

7. haven

haven Member

I think Colorado OR TAMU will make the NCAA tournament. I couldn't see both of them in... but given the strength of the Big 12, one should.

Colorado has more quality wins right now, though.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I think it definitely would be another story unless the WAC doesn't have an automatic bid to the NCAA tourney.

9. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

Ref,

I think in another thread, you and I were joking about something dealing with the b-ball team in B/CS (if not, I will repeat and expand). The team has come a long, long, looonnnnnnnng way from what it was 4-5 years ago.

I think Watkins has done a great job of getting very good talent in there. Last year I saw some things that made me wonder about his coaching, but he seems to be doing a little better.

I think they could make some noise in the Big XII tourney, b/c of the losses to teams like Princeton and UTSA and the lack of a real quality win to this point (they still have OSU & OU) they will need to win the conf tourney to get in.

Next year will be tough as they are losing Bernard & Keith Bean. I really like Antoine Wright. He will be even better next season and is the type of guy that can help carry a team to the NCAA tourney, but they need to recruit some guys to put next to him.

Depending on who they get in there, next year may be their best chance.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

They have a shot as long as Bernard King doesn't try anymore reverse dunks. :eek:

11. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Well, he's old and is a defensive liability, but hopefully his jumper will return when he gets back...

oh, wait...

12. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

There may be some reason to get excited...

http://sports.tamu.edu/press/pressRelease.php?PRID=5598

13. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

That is awesome, and I really mean it! It was you that I was speaking to in another thread about how I think A&M is coming around, wasn't it? Though I am a HUGE UT guy, I still want all the Texas teams to do well, especially the Big XII.

I would love to see the Big XII turn into a football and basketball conf, and for that to really happen, UT, Tech, A&M, and Baylor need to all do good so we con keep the stud b-ball players in state.

Hell, I was happy when Knight went to Tech.

Now when football comes around, I still pull for the other Texas teams, but I do not shed a tear if some one trips up and loses.

14. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

i think you have to have at least a .500 conference record to even be considered on the bubble

15. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Speaking of basketball, TheHorns, I got into the O-Zone last night, but apparently they have stopped giving out this years shirts because the home season is almost over. I will tell you the Co-Op has a lot of TJ jerseys for sale, and basketball warmups though.

16. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

(sorry refman, I do not mean to put our conversation in your thread)

DAMN IT ! ! ! !

Thank you for trying. If you happen to know some one who is willing to part ways with one, please let me know. I looked online at longhornsltd.com, and they really did not have much, do you ever stop by the stores? I know they used to not put much online, do they have much more of a selection?

How was the game? Are you going to try to make it to Dallas for any of the tourney?

17. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

The game was great, and I wondered where Emmett was all night long. I might make the roadtrip up to Dallas but it depends on my schedule and all. At worst, when I go home to Houston spring break I will watch all the tourney action. Btw Jason Klotz=Most improved player. And Mouton has really stepped it up the last 3 games.