1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A kind of scientific experiment.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I recently when through about 2-3 months without viewing this website. Maybe I did once, I can't recall whether that was a dream, or what. But anyway.....

I had gotten a new tv and xbox 360, only to move, and not get a computer or the net until now. I just didn't touch the net for that time period, my gf moved in and I worked a lot and was just distracted.

Added a comp finally the other day and I browsed the site for a minute the other day. But my GF is gone and this is the first binge I have been able to indulge upon. I noticed, while searching through backpages, that are culture has to be admittedly negative. Call it human nature, but it is. The board actually made me feel more shakey about the team, than I had been.

I feel my isolated mind, adapting and synchronizing...Kind of makes me think of that movie with Schwarzenegger where he grows up on a staged island (Twins?).. But, I still feel kind of suprised of the lack of joy around here. I doubt we will win the championship but..... I cant help feel that this is the best team we have had in a while. I can't see us not winning in the first round. I think we will end up 4 or 5 anyway. Bring on Utah. We will win in no less than 6 games. Book that......

We should maybe give the team a mulligan for this last little burp. Yea, you should have won at least 2 of those games, but Houston is definetly a top 5-6 team in the league. I think most will agree on that. Kudos to the role players for getting us to where we are.

That fateful night against the clippers, I was at that game. Thought it was a bone bruise. And then I drove home after the game, in the crappy rain, and listened to the rodeo.

And thought about the draft. And the fact that I would have to wait almost a year, for Rockets basketball to begin again.

But then, Tmac came back, and our solid veteran roleplayers lit their enginees to warp speed. And they were giving all they had, but it is time for them to scale it back. I think this little stretch sharpened Tracy up. Maybe it lit that fire up. Maybe he just smells the playoffs. But bring back Yao, and let Bonzi continue to get better (he is, slowly but surely IMO)

This team plays well together. And they are going to get YAO MING back, and hopefully hungry to make up for lost time. I don't think we will have the juice to get by Dallas or Phoenix..... But, anyone else, I would give us odds.

JVG has done a great job this year. He could play Alston a bit less, but I like the guy. We are built for the playoffs....

I just think, the bottom line. Is that for the playoffs, (injury curses aside) We have Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady playing at the combined highlest level of their seasons together. I think Yao will be full strength by the playoffs. The Yao Ming of this year, and the Yao Ming of 04-05 are an entirely different player and Yao has progressed a ton since then. I also expect McGrady to turn into something we have not seen in the playoffs. I dont know what that means, but I think he will be something fierce.

I realize I missed the board a lot. And it was like a weird experiment.... I just want everyone to remember, that we have still played a high, high level of basketball. And that this team has 2 superstars, and (up to the past week) wins the games it should win. And competes in about every game.

The reasons for optimism are there..... Time to back browse some more.

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Welcome back man, I totally agree with you. Everyones gotta be a critic;}

3. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

Welcome to the 10% club dude! :cool:
    Thats about all there is left of us who actually try and keep a positive mindset. I was the the Clippers game as well and was bummed for like the next week. But when T-Mac came back it lifted me back to center. This team has played great this year they are still a young team in terms of playing together; really its their first year. If you look at the teams who have won over the past few years, sans Miami, it normally took them 2-3 years to add enough pieces and keep the core group together before winning it all.

I was at the Miami game with my girl and these two guys were sitting behind us. The whole freakin game they complained. About everything, Battier, Rafer, the coach, the refs.....on and on. After the first half the couple sitting next to us looked at me and said "boy I bet he's a joy to be around.." :eek:

My point is this, don't let the GARM become the guys sitting behind me.....ANNOYING!!! try and keep a positve outlook for goodness sake. We are fifth in the West!

Don't let them assimilate you Francis3422...the force is strong in you..... :D

[​IMG]

4. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

Guys don't worry. The Rockets will win the championship. I just got done playing a pick-up game with some neighborhood guys and after it was finished. I went behind the halfcourt line and announced out loud that if I made the shot the Rockets would win the championship this year. Swish.

When we win it all, you know who to thank. ;)

5. Sextuple Double

There's that many!?? I always thought more like 0.2%.

6. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Li88b3AfOFw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Li88b3AfOFw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

7. VicVictory

VicVictory Member

It has become so bad after these past months, that I actually try to stay away from ClutchFans after a loss. It's just too much to take. First you have to deal with your team losing, and then login to the forums and see at least one ridiculous "the world is over" type thread. It just brings the mood down even more.

8. entirelydave

entirelydave Member

i feel exactly the same way.

it makes me think about when i was a kid back during the championship years. i never analyzed losses like some people do on here. i was kid, so i didn't care. i probably didn't even understand that type stuff. i do remember some bad losses though. specifically when the team got the "choke city' name. think about what the board would be like if that was now. geez! reading the material here just brings you even lower than you already were after watching loss.

i've kind of taken a step back and don't visit the board as often. some people spend entirely too much time on here. you can see people who post in almost every thread on this board multiple times. this is like their "word of war craft." obsessed!

9. Rockets Dynasty

Is the board really that negative?

10. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

While I do agree that there is too much negativity on this board, I don't believe it's really as bad as it seems. As humans it is our psychological predisposition to be more vocal about negative things in our lives. For example, someone is far less likely to ask to speak to the manager/chef if they have a really good meal, but if their service or their food is bad, there's a good chance they'll be letting someone know.

We're also wired to be more impacted by the negative things we're told. If 3 people tell you that you look nice in your new outfit, but 1 person tells you that you look horrible, which ones grabs your attention more?

The same things hold true here on the board.

11. rocketsmetalspd

The board is fine. It is the diversity that keeps me coming back and a great place to release anger after a lost. This board keeps me sane.

12. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

The same reason you think the board is fine is the reason I think it has become progressively worse since I've been here. I love the board, but people coming here to "release anger" is why I can't log on after a loss. Imagine if everyone who frequents this board "releases anger" after every loss. It'd be horrible.

The problem with releasing anger is that it is either A: An outrageous claim i.e. Yao has a bad game....."So, why didn't we take that L.A. deal for Odom/Mihm?" or B: A thread that has been beaten into our head for the whole season i.e. "OMG, please stop shooting Rafer". That's the biggest problem with the board from what I have seen.

13. rayrocket

rayrocket Member

Being one of those with negative attitude, I say sorry. :p

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Ditto. There should be a cooling off period for starting new threads until 8:00 a.m. the next day after losses. Same old same old same old recycled stuff. The thing is, I agree with many points about the flaws of our team. But you can only beat a dead horse into pulp so many times. The only thing keeping the negativity from being worse is we have a very good record.

15. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Contributing Member

If a message board ruins life for you, then you need to stay away from it anyhow.

Face the fact that 1. This is the internet 2. People come here to voice their opinions crazy or not 3. They deserve the same amount of respect that you do when you post. 4. People seem to have a back knack for thread they call negative and ignorant, yet they post in them anyhow.

You could easily just not post in the thread or avoid it all together. I'm sure there are other threads on cf.net that you don't bother clicking on and in this case its no different.

16. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I also have stopped visiting the forums as much as I used to as well. It just amazes me that there are just as many complaints and we are one of the top teams in the league...and that's with significant injuries throughout the whole season thusfar.

With that said, there is one obvious solution to it all. The Rockets just need to not lose, sounds good to me! :p

17. lunaticrocket

lunaticrocket Rookie

It is just more fun to be negative. It is more interesting to read threads like:
    + We lose because we do not play VSpan
    + Rafer sucks
    + Bonzi is fat
    + Fire Gundy

Than reading:
    + Our rotation is perfect!
    + I love the way Rafer shoots that teardrop!
    + Bonzi is very strong!
    + Brilliant Strategy JVG!

Check out the Dallas boards, they are positive (and boring... and annoying...)all the time. Then again, their team rarely plays poorly.

18. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Interesting post...

I think the vast majority of criticism on this board has to do with the fact we (this bbs) pride ourselves on being a rather analytical and non-rumormill bunch of posters. And we should, compared to other sites of similiar origin, there really is no comparison. Point being, when things go wrong, or when players get into funks, is when we can let our natural, critical talents shine through. We all want to prove to one another, and ourselves, that we could be the next Rocket GM or coach. The nature of the beast so to speak, now more than ever, especially with Yao out, weaknesses exposed...

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It is not negative, it is fans discussing their team and venting their frustrations and talking about what they think would make the team better.

If you think this board is negative trying being a Philly fan.

This board is great, but has a lot of whiners b****ing about people constructively criticizing THEIR team.....that is what being a fan is all about...right?

:D

DD

20. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member