1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A History Lesson: Stop Freaking out

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by yaoluv, Apr 16, 2009.

1. yaoluv

yaoluv Member

Guys Lets go back to 93-94 and 94-95

Last game of the season in 94 we lost to the nuggets 115-107.

Last game of the season in 95 we lost to the hated jazz 103-97.

As it was back in the day, so it will be now. It is our destiny to win a championship this year. The path is layed out perfectly. Portland is the best possible matchup for us. The jazz is the best team to weaken the Lakers for a round 2 hangover.

BELIEVE

[​IMG]

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Amen!

Let's make the Dream proud!

3. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

In 93-94 we dominated the league and the Nuggets had our number that year. They were like the young Blazers of today except with a proven Center in Mutombo (we have him now:D).

In 94-95 they rested almost everybody

Both games were not like the one last night, but I get your point.

Indeed we have to believe but it's a lot harder when you have team that doesn't play to its strengths, doesn't have a tremendous center like Olajuwon and doesn't get easy baskets. Also those teams had played together for quite some time and a lot of players stepped up, we have to wait and see if these guys can do it.

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Wow!

I'm so glad we won the Championship every year we lost the last game of the season!
    :rolleyes:

Your optimism is cute, but realistically you are just injecting false hope into fans that grow more and more cynical by the year.

5. SeeingRocketRed

You know, after the game last night. I was livid. I was yelling about Adelman's r****dedness in not getting Yao the ball down the stretch, Artest's shot selection, and the atrocious defense.

But maybe there is a silver lining.

We have seen how quickly things can turn when we don't follow the plan and when the coaching is worse than high school JV coaching.

So that ish has got to change. We might as well have knee-capped Yao ouselves if we weren't going to go to the big man who had slaughtered the Mavs in the 1st half. But in the playoffs, that ish won't fly. And now they know it. To fall from 2nd to 5th sucks. But maybe it's the object lesson the Rockets, Artest, and Adelman needed to realize what we have been saying all year long - GET YAO THE FREAKING BALL. THE OTHER TEAM CAN'T FREAKING STOP HIM. Only Rick Adelman and Ron Artest can. So let's put the kibosh on that, and lay down the smash on these Trailblazers and rest up for the Lakers.

Feel me?

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I think it’s sad that we, as Rocket fans, keep clinging to our 2 championships which happened over a decade ago. I’ll never forget those years, but to say that this year’s team has anything in common with those teams (besides the fact that it plays in the same city) is just being short-sighted.

THIS version of the Houston Rockets has NOTHING to do with the championship teams. THIS version of the Rockets has nothing but first round exits on its resume.

I think we will ultimately beat the Blazers but I’m steamed (though not really surprised.....) that we blew a golden opportunity last night to put off playing the Lakers until the conference finals. Now we have to meet them a round earlier.

1 person likes this.
  7. lysports007

lysports007 Member

amen to that

8. Pocket Rockets

haha a history lesson?

those two years dont happen often

the history lesson you should be linking to this years team: the previous three playoff seasons

9. declan32001

declan32001 Member

Yeah, I'm still in depressed mode, and the only silver lining I can see if we do get out of the 1st round people are going to throw their own parade.

And that's pretty damned insulting to not only our championship teams, but so many others.

But I do love this bbs and there's a lot of people here that I get a kick out of seeing happy, so I'm going to choke back my angst and see what happens.

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

We had home court advantage throughout the 93/94 playoffs, and in 94/95 we had two HOFs on the squad.

It's hard for me to draw a comparison between then and now.

11. rayrocket

rayrocket Member

Hey, it is not time for facts, time for MOTIVATION. Come on.

12. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with you wholeheartedly.

This is not even the same team as in 2002. This is a new play style, new coach, and new talent that is leagues different than the 1990s squads. With that being said, we do have one of the best centers in the league, and we should expect good things from this team as a result.

13. AB423

AB423 Member

Lets pray Kobe gets a hamstring injury

14. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

i find most of your posts degrading and laughable, fans are supposed to be optimistic, key word fanatic, there is no false hope in his statement, unless you are so unbelievably pessimistic that you don't think the rockets can win it all, which is shameful, and if this is the case i really don't understand why you would be posting on this board.

the rockets can beat ANYONE, they can also lose to anyone, so we're never out of any series, any game, any time. get it together fans, the regular season is over, things change in the playoffs, we have a tougher team than last year, the blazers have no one to stop yao, we have two powerful defenders to slow down roy, and we have a great deal of role players, i'm not going to say we'll blow the blazers out of the water, we may even go to 7, but we CAN win

remember why you're a fan, no one is a fan to see their team lose

15. dave18

dave18 Member

guys, i am just worried that we won't be able to handle the blazers' athleticism (which is exactly what we are lacking) and their craziness, when they they playing in front of their fans.
    anybody has a thought on this!?

16. ColomboLQ

ColomboLQ Member

Back then we had Olajuwon. Now we don't. Big difference.

17. Shaunjon

Shaunjon Member

Realistically, we have a better chance of another first round exit than what you are talking about.

18. Landryman14

Landryman14 Member

I'd rather believe than be miserable now

BELIEVE

19. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I hate to say it, but it gets a little 'Al Bundy reminisces about high school football' at times.

Anyways, anything can happen, that's why we play the games. It's a brand new season. For all we know the Rockets could look dominating against the Trailblazers and then everyone (including the media) starts believing that we could give LA a run for their money.

20. Shaud

Shaud Member

I will never understand why fans look back to something that happened 13 or 14 years ago for optimism about this year. What happened in 93 and 94 doesn't affect the outcome of 2009.