1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A French minister of Arab origin says ‘there is no such thing as moderate Islam’

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

http://english.alarabiya.net/articles/2011/12/03/180637.html

2. dmc89

dmc89 Member

[​IMG]

She looks alright for being almost 40 years of age. I wouldn't mind taking her out and showing that not every Muslim believes in Shariah law, or at least the kind feared by some secularists and evangelicals. ;)

Here's a good article from the Huffington Post. I've quoted some highlights:

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

This new wave of European politicians believe that there is no moderate Islam, and Al Qaeda believes that there is no moderate Islam. They're the same, they're both extremists. Same type of mentality of people in vastly different circumstances.

Moderate Muslims believe there is such a thing as Moderate Islam, and I would estimate that there's over half a billion of them in the world. No one asks them.

Extremists are losing grip wherever they're in governments in the Middle East whereas they're just coming to prominence again in Europe. It's so strange.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Isn't she speaking about the context of Sharia law, and if that is the case she is right.

DD

5. Mathloom

Supporting Member

There's 100's of versions of Sharia law. Are you referring to a specific one?

Sharia law is the law of the Quran and possibly Prophet's actions as interpreted through hadith and tafseer and precedence. Since no two sects or branches share the same hadith/tafseer/precedence, there are therefore as many versions of shariaa law as there are sects and branches within sects.

That giant brush must be pretty heavy man.

6. DaDakota

Any law that goes by religous edict rather than the rule of law is not moderate.

DD

7. BenVR4

BenVR4 Member

The fact that she is of Arab Origin makes no difference nor does it make her opinion more valid, a point this article is attempting to imply

Just because she is an Arab, does not mean she is providing the viewpoint from a Muslim perspective. There is an Arab Christian Majority in addition to Jewish and Bahaii Arab minorities

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

You are such an unbelievable moron that it is just mind-boggling. You are equating a French minister to Al Qaeda. Unbelievable.

We are used to outrageous statements from you, but this one, once again, is just :rolleyes: :rolleyes:.

Erdogan himself states that there is no such thing as "moderate Islam": http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/english/domestic/11360374.asp

She is absolutely right. There are many moderate Muslims. But Islam is not moderate, as long as it includes sharia et al.

#8 AroundTheWorld, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  9. dmc89

dmc89 Member

In reference to Mathloom's reply to DD, your objections to Shariah law are based on what you think is Shariah law when in fact it's not. It is only a toxic product interpreted and implemented by those who want to wield power.

From the link I posted,
    Shariah law in theory is NOT what you see in Saudia Arabia and other countries. Based on many of the critical posts I've seen in D&D, I understand how uneasy Shariah law makes a lot of people. But that's not real Shariah law. The same way the ideas extremists claim to believe isn't really Islam.

I know my last sentence has been discussed ad nauseam, but that's what 99% of anti-Islamic arguments boil down to.

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

dmc89, I respect your opinion, but I have to go by what it is in practice, not by what it should be in theory.

11. Mathloom

Supporting Member

There is no "Islam" unless Allah is talking to someone. This is what you need to understand about religion.

Jesus may have spoken for God.
    Mohammed may have spoken for God.
    But no one and nothing can speak for God now according to Islam. So when you say "Islam is this", you are referring to the collective behavior of a group who openly admit that they will never know or execute Islam to its fullest. There is no entity called Islam. There is no entity that speaks for Islam. The collective behavior of those people is not interchangeable with "Islam" or "God".

But this is how you like to group people. Because it suits what you believe.

I don't give a flying F if she's a French minister. She's an extremist, just like Al Qaeda are extremists. One just has nicer weapons than the other, both of them will swallow my rights if given the chance.

#11 Mathloom, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  12. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Awesome.

But I was asking which Shariaa you're referring to? What do you know about Shariaa beyond what I've told you here? You are aware that there are 100's of forms of Shariaa law right? Some of them don't even believe in following Mohammed's example? Some of them believe in new Prophets? Some of them like to smoke up and dance? There are even some which advise the followers to go by rule of law?

13. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Because the people who write and believe this stuff believe that race plays a role in these things.

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Let's just remember:

From where Mathloom stands, a French minister is as "extreme" as Al Qaeda.

That says just about all about where Mathloom stands.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

your reading comprehension ability is clearly lacking

16. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

I doubt he mean't "extreme" in the sense you are taking it. I believe it means that she appears to look at things with blinders on, the kind of narrow mindedness which is equivalent to those that start believing alqaeda's ideology.

To me this lady is trying to channel her inner Geert Wilders. People like her won't help build bridges but will further put up walls.

17. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Hard to build bridges when the opposing side wants to burn them down.

18. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

You don't build bridges for the crazies, you build them for the rest so the crazies are left isolated.

19. DaDakota

Any of them based upon Islam.

There should be a seperation of church and state, period.

Any rule of law based upon some religous text, where there is no credibility at it's core (and that means all of them) should not be the basis of any system of government.

DD

20. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

I believe you missed his point. I think he's trying to say that the view that Islam as a whole (and hence all Muslims) is extremist....is an extremist view itself.