1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A few thoughts on Hakeem and last night's win

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tod the bod, Mar 14, 2001.

1. tod the bod

tod the bod Contributing Member

(1) A couple of games ago, when the Rockets came back after being down 20 points, I said that I had seen one of the greatest wins in Rockets' history. Well last night I saw another one. I had so counted the Rockets out that had lethargy not set in (i.e. I couldn't get off the couch) I might even have turned off the game in disgust after watching the Rockets blow another ten point lead. And then, to everyone's surprise, the Rockets FOUND A WAY TO MAKE IT HAPPEN. The defense stepped up, the offense hit a couple of shots and Mooch -- what can you say about Mooch -- he hit the big three and sent the game into overtime. And then, instead of losing the momentum, the Rockets kept up the intensity. It was a big win. Moreover, it was the type of game that the Rockets always lose -- but last night they won.

(2) Sorry, here is a negative point. Game after game, I cringe every time Jack gets the ball. Notwithstanding the second overtime, Mobely was awful. And even in the second overtime, he took a lot of dumb shots. Mobely has a lot of talent, but he has to stop taking dumb shots and start looking to pass, particularly if the shot SIMPLY ISN'T THERE. Forget Clutch City. Houston has become New Jack City -- and that's not a good thing.

(3) Kelvin Cato has really started stepping it up, even at the free throw line, and I love the way that he runs the floor on the fast break -- although I wish that he had better hands. Ok, he will never be Hakeem, nor should he try to be. But if he can play tough defense, get rebounds, and score off of the penetration, he will be a very serviceable center for the next several years. And who knows, maybe he will eventually develop a post-up move.

(4) I don't know if Hakeem will play baskeball ever again. But if he does, and if he had any class, he would sign on with the Rockets for the minimum. In return, I would think that the Rockets could find a way to make him a minority owner of the team once he retires -- that way keeping him in the organization forever. Hakeem looks like he has some basketball left in him, and he probably shouldn't play in another uniform, but the Rockets can't afford to pay him the big bucks because of salary cap issues. Hakeem should do the best for the team, and I believe that this, ultimately will also be the best for Hakeem.

(5) And here is a note for the offseason: The Rockets don't need Chris Webber. Mo Taylor has been more than adequate at power forward. He has really played well since the all-star break and I would resign Mo. I would also resign Shandon who I think is a very important player on the team -- both for his defense and his ability to slash to the basket. And then, if there is any money left, I would look for a small forward who can shoot the ball from the outside, which the Rockets desperately lack.

2. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

I love Cat when he plays to his strengths, but sometimes he goes away from them, and that's when I get frustrated.

He is the best player on this team at getting to the hole, period. He SHOULD go to the hole every time, and shoot a jumper every once in a while to keep the defense honest.

The only thing keeping Cat from getting to the basket is a team, NOT one player. It's when opponents play good TEAM defense against him, that cat needs to realize he should drive and kick it out to get the easy shot for his teammates.

One play, that stood out in my mind, was where Cat saw a double team coming, and instead of passing it around the horn, dribbled it out and shot a fadeaway off the glass that missed. I notice that more and more with him, trying to create space ala Jordan by fading away, but he should only do that on 24 high when he has that shot from the free throw line.

In the end, it's not how many shots you make, but when you make them. Cat certainly made up for his dismal shooting night with a CLUTCH 3 pointer in double OT.

------------------

[This message has been edited by tacoma park legend (edited March 14, 2001).]

3. stevo

stevo Member

My thoughts on Cat...He's a great scorer who can almost always beat his man to the hole. However, late in games the defense tends to collapse in the middle, and Cat ends up trying to get his shot off over 3 or 4 guys. It seems like there is almost always a man open on the wing, and I wish Cat would toss it out there alot more. It would get his teammates more involved and make defenses less willing to leave there man wide open.

As it stands, there is no reason not to leave their man and help if there is very little chance of Cat passing the ball. I hope that as Cat matures he will do more of this and it should help his overall game alot. I think thats the next step for his and the teams offense to be more successful at the end of tight games.

As far as Cato goes, he seems to be improving and playing more determined ball lately BUT he's got alot to prove. Probably more than anyone else on the team.

------------------

4. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Recent studies show that Kelvin Cato's hands have actually decreased in size every year that he has been in the league. Some experts even believe that Cato's thumbs are not functional, in a sense, vestigial. Personally, I believe that Cato's main problem is that he has an extremely low basketball IQ. He always tries to block it into the stands rather than keeping the ball in play like a good shotblocker. Half the time he's on the court, he's out of camera view after biting on another pump fake. At this point, I'm with TheFreak; I just think Cato isn't that good. However, I agree with you that if he can just keep up the defensive intensity and toughness, he will be a serviceable center for the Rockets.

I have mixed feelings on this. I know I'm in the minority, but I really hope Hakeem decides to hang it up. He finished his career out with a bang. I don't want to see him go through free agency and all that other crap. Also, Dream has a history of circulatory/respiratory medical conditions. Who knows if he'll be sidelined once again next season?

Here's where I really disagree with you. I agree that Mo has been a very nice fit offensively, but he still doesn't bring the rebounding and defensive intangibles that an elite team needs. The fact remains that we have no automatic threat in crunch time. Against the league's best, Mobley isn't a very high percentage crunch time option. Not to take anything away from last night's win, it was a great win, but let's not forget that this was Indiana. This wouldn't have happened against a team with a premiere frontcourt player. To take this team to that next level, the Rockets need a premiere frontcourt player in this loaded Western Conference.

As far as the age difference between Mo and CWebb, I'd still take Webber. Last year, if you remember my posts, I wanted any move the team made to be for the future or a younger player. This was because I had no idea the team would come together so fast. The Rockets have pretty much cheated the rebuilding process and are ready to compete now. Steve is the next great point guard in the league's history. Mobley has developed into a lethal threat. Shandon and the others continue to be solid and dependent. I say let them go now. It's not like Webber is a greybeard. He'll be 29 next year. That's 4 or 5 more years of "Chris Webber". After that, from age 33 to age 36, he'll still be a damn good power forward. Steve and Cuttino (28 and 30) will be so good by then that Webber's 19ppg and 9rpg (most likely) will be more than enough.

[This message has been edited by thacabbage (edited March 14, 2001).]

5. Toast

Toast Member

Granted it was a triple overtime game, and it's not a consistent number, but Mo pulled down a team leading 13 boards last night.

If he can just continue to work on it, he'll be freaking amazing. He has the skills to be a decent rebounder, he just needs to work at it. I like Mo, and think he'll be an All-Star in about 2 years. Why give that up?

------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club

6. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I think Cat's number of shots in this game went up because 1.)The team got gun shy for some reason. That's why they fell behind by 10, and 2.) 3 Overtimes. Throw in the overtimes, and that is like 4 shot attempts a quarter, which isn't bad at all considering he is a 2-guard.

------------------
    The Heart of a Champion still beats. . .

7. stevo

stevo Member

I like Mo, and think he's a nice compliment to the team, but I just don't think that with him and Cato the team has enough of an inside presence, both offensively and defensively. If we're gonna rely on someone like Cato to be our center (kinda iffy) then I think we would do well to get someone with a better post game. At this point, I think Mo's face-up game is much better than when he puts his back to the basket. He just doesn't have that kind of game. Atleast not yet.

As far as his development goes, I don't think Mo is better at 24 than Web was. Webber has always had the game, the questions were more about his character. So, I'd have to say (even though its early) that Mo won't develop into the player Webber is now. Doesn't mean he won't, just my opinion.

That being said, I think this team needs Webber to get to the next level. Even with a year of Francis/Mobley/Anderson maturing and playing together, I don't think that we could beat a top team in a 5-7 game series, which is what its all about. If we can get a Webber, I would be for resigning Mo, but don't think that he's a Max type player. Not sure what he's looking for, but if we can get him for Cato type money I think we do it. And keep looking for someone with some toughness inside.

------------------

8. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

That's just not true. 5 years ago, when Webb was 24, was 95/96. He was injured most of that season, so it isn't a good sample. But the year before, in 94/95, Chris was a 20 point, 10 board, 5 assist monster. In 96/97 he was also healthy, and again put up 20, 10, and 5 for a Wizards team that actually made the playoffs.

Mo is never going to be that player. He does what he does very well, and that is score and shoot. But he's a mediocre rebounder for a PF (putting it kindly), and I don't see that changing. Mo is definitely a contributor, but CWebb is an all-star, MVP caliber, franchise guy. No comparison based on current or past performance.

If you have the shot to get a franchise big man in his prime, you take it. No questions asked, and you don't look back at the guy whose place he took.

------------------

9. alaskansnowman

On the topic of the triple overtime:

Mo played 51 minutes and snagged 13 boards. Webber, on a 48 minute basis, would average 13.5 boards. Not a big difference at all.

------------------
    PrEsident of The Danforth Langhford FAN CLUB... He IS our future All-Star Small Forward

10. thacabbage

I can't believe I missed this....
    Webber coming out of Michigan had more talent than most NBA franchises. Golden State traded Penny and 3 #1's for the guy! Mo at #14 was considered a reach at the time by many experts. Taylor was very talented, but not in Webber's class.

Webber was 24 years old in 1996-1997. That year he had averages of: REB: 10.30, ASSISTS: 4.6, STEALS: 1.69, BLOCKS: 1.90, and POINTS: 20.1.

It was never a question about talent with Webber. It was commitment and injuries which held him back. Partying until 3 A.M. in the morning with Juwon Howard every night didn't help Webber's game. He has since matured and taken his game to that next level.

If we could have both Mo and Webb, that would be ideal, but if you had to choose one, Webber is the no-brainer.

11. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For the simple reason that Webber is a lock All-Star now, and Taylor is only potentially an All-Star. We have seen how we can get burned by gambling on potential (see Cato, Kelvin), and it is highly dangerous. With Webber, we are sure fire contenders for at least 3 or 4 years. In that time, Mobley and Francis will likely be All-Star material as well, and this team will be astounding to watch play.

------------------
    "all your base are belong to us!"
    "you have no chance to survive make your time!"

12. alaskansnowman

SamCassel & cabbage:

I was figuring all the off the court problems into the equation as well. My bad if I misled you. Webber had the rebounding and toughness that MO didn't, but I believe you gotta look at everything when comparing the two players, including all the off the court problems. Mo at 24 was still better than Webber at 24 IMO because Webber was too much of a distraction to the team.

As far as the current situation of Mo at 24 versus Webb at 29, it is clear that Webb is better. Mo's got just about the same offensive capabilities as Webber... he just lacks rebounding. IF, and that's a big IF, he can improve that, he (in a few years) will be just as good as Webber is now. Also, is MO's defense really all that bad? I mean, he's going up against the elite pf's of the western conference almost every day... is there really anything that he can do to stop them?

The fact remains that we have no automatic threat in crunch time-Cabbage

Do you mean automatic threat as in someone who will definately score? If you do, there is no one that will always score. If Mobley's not an automatic threat, I don't know what is. He's made some bad decisions before, but he is clutch and still has many years left to learn what it's all about. IMO, we don't really need another crunchtime player, though having another one would be nice.

Against the league's best, Mobley isn't a very high percentage crunch time option.

But who is? The league's best have great defenses that know what and how they're supposed to stop a team's crunchtime plays. Mobley probably doesn't have a very high percentage against the league's best, but he is still one of the most clutch players in the league. And he's still young. Webber would probably be a better option, but I believe that we pretty much have some sort of an automatic threat in Mobley.

------------------
    PrEsident of The Danforth Langhford FAN CLUB... He IS our future All-Star Small Forward

[This message has been edited by alaskansnowman (edited March 14, 2001).]

13. thacabbage

I think you're greatly overrating Taylor and underrating Webber. Taylor is a very good offensive player, while Webber is elite. He is money inside the painted area. You must double team him or he will score.

Right now, Chris Webber is the second best player in the game (Iverson). When you have a chance to get a player at that level, in his prime, who exactly fits your greatest needs, you pursue it. If this were Minnesota and we had Garnett, I could understand the anti-Webber argument, but in our current situation there should be nothing up for debate.

14. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

alaskan, I see. But plenty of players have matured emotionally with age. Its almost a given (except maybe in the case of Wallace). Even Dream was a little bit of a headcase in his youth.

But I can't think of a single player who went from mediocre rebounder to great rebounder (on a per-minute basis). Its just part of a player's makeup; his physicality and court awareness (to know where the carom is going). Hakeem, Webber, Duncan, Ewing, Zo, Shaq, Rodman, Barkley, Robinson, Mutombo, Jayson Williams - all those guys came into the league hitting the boards. Heck, Brand and Nowitzki are 22 and clean the glass with the best of them. Either you have it, or you don't.

------------------

15. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

The difference there is consistancy. 13 boards in 51 minutes is about as good as it gets for Mo. He is not consistant enough to get 13 boards nightly.

We can play this same game with Webber.

Webber: 26 boards in 50 minutes against Indiana on Jan 5th. Incidentally he also had 51 pts that game. That means in 48 minutes Webber would avg 24.96 boards a game! Hey this is fun. I bet C-Webb would like his avgs figured out that way.

Sorry not trying to be cocky but there really is no comparison. And Webber would certainly give you someone capable of taking over in the closing minutes of a game.

BTW C-Webbs high game 26 boards against Taylors avg of 5.5 boards. Laughable.

------------------

[This message has been edited by crash5179 (edited March 14, 2001).]

16. Toast

Toast Member

Well, I know what Mo can do for the Rockets now, and I see a glimpse of what he can do later.

The last thing we need is another Quitten fiasco. A big name with big numbers who just doesn't pan out.

You guys call Mo a gamble, but don't you think signing Webber is just as risky? Especially when you consider all the money we'd have to tie up.

Not that I'm comparing the players, just the situation. I'm not saying Webber is Quitten. I'm just expressing a concern.
    ------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club

[This message has been edited by Toast (edited March 14, 2001).]

17. kbm

kbm Member

A clutch player (to me at least) is a guard or a forward with range who can hit the big shot at the end of the game. He does not have to be the best player on the team. Nor is the best player always clutch. Defenses tend to collapse in the fourth quarter forcing opposing offenses to make the outside shot. The sonics against Hakeem, for example. So getting Webber (which I agree we should try to do) doesn't necessarily get us a clutch player. Just a dominate big man !

------------------
    I am an invisible man.

18. alaskansnowman

Nice Post Tod.

And who knows, maybe he will eventually develop a post-up move.

He doesn't use it much( he never gets the ball anyway), but he does have a pretty decent jump hook. I remember a few games ago, Cato actually did the dream shake except instead of fading away, he turned for the hook shot. Off the glass and straight in... beautiful move. And the hook shot was one of the things that Cato and CD worked on durin the offseason, etc. So I think that a decent post move is not too far away from becomin reality.

The Rockets don't need Chris Webber. Mo Taylor has been more than adequate at power forward

I have mixed feelings on this. Of course Webber would be better, but also Webber is older than Mo. Webber is 29 and Mo is 24. Mo at 24 years of age is better than Webber at 24. It's just a matter of whether Mo keeps improving, especially in his weaker areas like rebounding. If we stick with Mo, then our big three of Stevie, Cat, and MO would all reach their prime at the same time, making this team impossible to beat.

But in any case, the Rockets WILL pursue Webber... they might also try to sign Mo for another exception or something because Mo is really a nice fit with this team and it'd be a shame to see him go. Maybe play Webber at center, and Mo at pf?

As far as Cat, he was 10-29! 29 shots attempted. Thats crazy... he needs to calm down some.

------------------

19. Toast

Toast Member

"(3) Kelvin Cato has really started stepping it up, even at the free throw line"

Way to jinx him, Tod. I've been purposely avoiding this topic to not jinx him, but there, you did it.

"As far as Cat, he was 10-29! 29 shots attempted. Thats crazy"

Yeah, but in his defense Alaska, he played almost every minute of a triple overtime game. So that's like basically 23 shots in a regular season game. Trust me, I'm one of those who always points out Mobley isn't shy when it comes to shooting the ball, and still 23 shots for a regular game is way more than he should probably be shooting. I agree, he throws up a whole buncha shots, but in this particular case, it wasn't as bad as the numbers look.

------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club