1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A few interesting observations:

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jtr, Jan 12, 2014.

1. fluors

fluors Member

jtr, a decoder ring? I am not having a go at you or anything but here’s my take on what he meant. I am always hesitant to speak for others since I can’t get inside their heads to know their intent but I'll take a stab at it anyway. I don't know either poster so I am not sure whether they were even serious but Deckard and SF3isBack! were quoting dialogue from the movie Lawrence of Arabia. Deckard’s post is asking whether you just have bad manners or are mentally-challenged. SF3isBack! responded with clever and apropos dialogue, also from Lawrence of Arabia. SF3is Back! is referencing the scene where Lawrence extinguishes fire (from a match) with his bare hands, without acknowledging the pain. When his Officer does the same, his fingers are badly burned. To sum up both posts, Deckard is using classic literature (satire? Wit? Sarcasm?) in an attempt to put your attitude in check. SF3is Back! is telling Deckard that it won't matter because you are immune to criticism (the fire symbolizes that). What you see is your data is clear to you, but not clear to some others. Some readers, even those who respect the data and admire what you did are put off by the manner in which it was presented; for example, some see it as cold-hearted, high-handed, confrontational, even supercilious. And they wonder why you presented it in that manner. Anyway, that's my take on the meaning behind the literary quotes. Again, not having a go at you; just trying to explain or “decode” the meaning.

Continuing the literary theme introduced by Deckard and SF3is Back!, here's a thoughtful and cerebral quote from The Little Prince: "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly. What is essential is invisible to the naked eye"; meaning sometimes we have to look beyond the obvious and see things from a human perspective. Sometimes what we see as a personal attack is not that at all; sometimes its just good people trying to help us, which is what I think is happening here.

2 people like this.
  2. jocar

jocar Member

3. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

LOL, good job.

4. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Well done and thanks.