1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A&E to air Reality Show based on KKK families

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DFWRocket, Dec 19, 2016.

1. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

A part of me is extremely curious to see this show.
    But I'm hesitant in that by watching I will not only help to legitimize their views, but possibly lead to more $$ for these people. Boycott or watch?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...ed-generation-kkk_us_58580460e4b08debb789f3f4

An upcoming docuseries on A&E will go inside the Ku Klux Klan.

The television network will premiere an eight-part docuseries about four KKK-affiliated families on Jan. 10, called “Generation KKK.”

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the show is meant to create a dialoguebetween those in the KKK and their family members who oppose their views. None of the KKK members participating in the show hide their identity in any way.

Regardless of the show’s intent, broadcasting views of an extremist group to a potential audience of millions of people allows for the dangerous possibility that “Generation KKK” normalizes the very real and hateful attitudes of KKK members.

“We certainly didn’t want the show to be seen as a platform for the views of the KKK,” Rob Sharenow, general manager of A&E, said in an interview with The New York Times. “The only political agenda is that we really do stand against hate.”

Sharenow added, “I certainly think that A&E should be on the side of shining a light on things that aren’t really looked at. I wouldn’t go so far as to say we’re an advocacy brand. But I do think there’s a message of hope in all these shows and a promise of redemption.”

2. amaru

amaru Member

They have already been given a new platform.

Allow them to expose themselves so I can see my enemy

Nook likes this.
  3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Curious how many ClutchFans will be on the show.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yes this is exactly what America needs right now

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Sickening. Providing a platform for bigots in a search for ratings, the only reason they would do the show in the first place. I'm boycotting the network.

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am not opposed to it if it shows how insidious KKK views are. Skeptical though

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  7. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

and we shall call this show 'duck dynasty'.

Bäumer, Fulgore, macho87 and 5 others like this.
  8. edwardc

edwardc Member

These loser don't need a platform there hate is not needed in America.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't get A&E, so I won't be able to boycott. But, I would if I could. If you want redemption for our country's racists, this isn't the way to do it.

10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

This is pretty disgusting by A&E. This one takes the cake, but I really do not like how reality TV shows exploits kids like Honey Boo Boo.

And why would anyone need to watch a reality TV show so everyone can see their behavior? That is just as disgusting. We don't need to see bigots be bigots nor do we need to continue to incite hatred. Only a moron would see anything good in this show.

cml750 likes this.
  11. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Ignoring a problem is just as bad as publicizing it but there is a fine line to walk. I hope they do a good job of walking the line of highlighting ignorance while not "glorifying" these sort of people.

In any case I think we have to acknowledge that these people are real and dangerous because I think there are a lot of people that think they are extinct.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

If they show this family saying many of the rationalizations that racists use but deny are racist - I think that could be a good thing.

13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Agreed. Any production that gives a platform or directly gives money to extremest groups are that groups de facto marketing team. I'm sure they will have some hand waving spin to disconnect themselves from responsibility.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I thought you guys were against censorship?

15. Buck Turgidson

Like Fox News or Beck or Limbaugh or Breitbart or...?

(walks away)

superfob and Nook like this.
  16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

There's a potential fear of normalizing a culture of hate that's embedded deeply with coopting Southern Values. I'm not going to watch ****, but will likely see offhanded sources of how it's portrayed.

17. RocketWalta

RocketWalta Member

This is such a bad idea and a blatant ratings grab. Hopefully they get cancelled early. Let's be honest, A&E, this isn't going to help facilitate a dialogue between KKK members and their families. If that had any chance of happening then they'd hide their identities. They are loud and proud bigots. And don't pretend it's supposed to start some kind of dialogue that isn't already taking place.

Off the top of my head, there's two movies that came out last year dealing with this topic. One is based on a true story- Imperium w/ Daniel Radcliffe. The other is The Green Room; a thriller which paints neo-Nazis as they should be painted-like monsters. I highly recommend the latter.

The Emmy nominated United Shades of America (CNN) had an episode challenging some of these KKK members last year. So the discussion is already underway, No need to give them a soapbox. Thanks, anyway.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Yes there is a big difference when you produce a show that itself seeks ratings and owes it's entire existence to the public interest in the subjects.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Who's "censoring" A&E? I'm simply not going to watch a network that exploits racism for ratings. How others respond to this is up to them.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I guess I just don't understand why doing a documentary series on a KKK family is such a bad thing. The KKK is a rapidly growing movement - more than doubling in one year's time in 2014. So I think shining a light on this isn't a bad thing if done with journalistic integrity.

I see the danger that giving awareness to a KKK family might inspire others to join the KKK. But I think it may also have a larger impact in turning people off of the ideas of the KKK.