1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A disastrous summer for Stone

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Oct 29, 2021.

1. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

That's right! Speak it into existence.

2. BonziWellsGOAT

Come on now thats not it and you know it. Those coaches and players were either here for years or were vets before they got to Houston. Making declarations and pining for other players 5 games into a season let alone an nba career reeks of I told you so syndrome and is silly. Just say you want to be right and move on. Anybody who watches basketball knows that rookie guards regardless of talent level more times than not are wildy inefficient and its easier to get big men easy looks. I think Mobley will be a really good player too but to act like JG isn't showing his talent on the court despite poor shooting which more likely than not will come around isn't right. It's not a good look to keep coming back and second guessing everything after each game. Let's let this thing play out a bit longer. I will agree that Silas is probably not the answer tho

Dobbizzle likes this.
  3. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

You must be a hit at parties with that 'glass half full' attitude. ;)

D-rock likes this.
  4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The Rockets should try to run the old Lakers into the ground....if we get into a jump shooting contest we have no chance....

Our PG SF, PF, and SG are not good consistent shooters yet - think about that 80% of our starters literally are below average on jump shots...

Sigh, gonna be a long few years.
    DD

groovemachine, D-rock and HTown_TMac like this.
  5. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

Your profile says "Team Green" and your post signature says "Team Mobley" lol which is it?

dmoneybangbang, lionaire and D-rock like this.
  6. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Word, negativity only breeds more negativity. Misery loves company. Get some help before posting anything… it’s a waste for us real fans who are into this rebuild. P.s. Nets are changing due to new Harden rules. Kyrie’s out. Just basically an injury prone KD and some role players against Miami, Toronto, Philly, and The world champs. All pretty good defensively. We win by losing this year.

BonziWellsGOAT likes this.
  7. Juxtaposed Jolt

I mean, you normally don't see a universal dislike of the entire team. There's gotta be some aspect of the team you like, otherwise why are you even spending time posting on a fan forum?

Baffles the mind.

D-rock likes this.
  8. Milos

Milos Member

Dude ... Suggs was Mr Basketball & Mr Football as HS senior in Minnesota
    First player to win both ever
    He had FB offers from the Buckeyes, among others

He is built exactly like a young DRose

And as far as proven ...
    I don't recall any frosh PG having a better Final 4 than Suggs
    Hit one of the all-time clutch tourney shots to get to the final
    Then he seemed to be the only Zag trying to step up vs Baylor when all his more experienced teammates were shrinking in the biggest moment

He still has a LONG way to go skill-wise as a shooter and playmaker, but so did rookie DRose
    But athletically he is just as strong, quick and explosive
    He also arrives as an above-average defender, something Rose never became

ORL as an organization has been just as much of a sh!tshow as these Tilman / Stone / Silas Rockets, and for MUCH longer

If that's the popular narrative being applied to excuse Green's poor start, it must be accepted for Suggs as well

Unlike Green, Suggs already has an NBA body, defends the ball like an animal, looks to create for others besides himself, and spent all of last season proving himself a clutch player running the OFF for one of the most dominant winning teams in decades

D-rock likes this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not saying Green was wrong pick.

Saying Mobley pick was more right.

10. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

None of that matters now! Why come talking about high school days? When he was a big fish in a small pond. He's small fish in a big pond now.

"But athletically he is just as strong, quick and explosive" You really went there? He's not even on DRose level on a bad day. I just don't see Suggs on a fast break, spinning and throwing it down with two hands. Playmaking and shooting he can improve because that's his bread and butter. "EXPLOSIVE and ATHLETIC is not. I highly doubt he will be dunking over anybody. Can he make layups and draw defenders to get teammates open? Yes. Just be glad Rockets didn't draft him because had they did this ORG would really be a **** show. Especially with the so called "rule change". At least when Jalen score he it make it look easy. Suggs NBA ready body means nothing when everyone is taller and stronger. He's having trouble adjusting just like all the other rookies.

11. Jalen Green OnlyFan

the great evan mobley had 2 points on 1-6 shooting yesterday.

young guys gonna have ups and downs. ride the wave instead of ditching green OP.

12. Milos

Milos Member

DRose is generally listed at 6'3" and 200 lbs now as a 33-yo, full grown man

Suggs is listed at 6'4" and 205 lbs now as a 20-yo

This link is a fresh video of Suggs exploding to dunk over NBA players:

Here is a pre-injury Rose putback ... look familiar?

Here are some tidbits from his NBA.com draft profile (exact quotes):

- Listed at 6’4 with a solid 205-pound frame to go along with a 6’6 wingspan, Suggs may not be especially long, but has prototypical size for a player capable of playing both backcourt positions

- He is a very good athlete with terrific instincts and body control that shined in the open floor last season

- Emerging as the most explosive, dynamic scorer on a talented, efficient Gonzaga

- Suggs thrived in a role revolving around his ability to get downhill as a primary or secondary ball handler

You are welcome
    Next time maybe you can Google a guy to verify your opinions first, since you have obviously never seen him play
    The quotes above were literally the first result that popped up for me

#152 Milos, Oct 31, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
  13. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

I think you missed my point. The Sixers both got extremely unlucky and made some pretty poor moves from the front office to coaching to player acquisition. No questions there. My point was that one of the best things they did was to not shy away from drafting Embiid simply because they were already stacked at his position, and that most of the top prospects for the coming draft were also true centers. When you are deep in the hole like the Sixers were, or the Rockets are now, you draft talent no matter the fit, and then build the rest of the team from there. No worries about if Mobley/Wood is too thin, or KPJ/Green is too poor defensively. You go get your guy, and let the rest resolve naturally from there.

Last point about the Sixers; as much as everyone wants to make fun of them right now because of the Ben Simmons situation, we should also remember that there is a razor's edge between being a title contender and an also ran. What if Morey throws in Tyrese Maxey or one more first rounder, and manages to swap Ben Simmons for Harden last year? What if Matisse Thybulle simply makes both free throws after the Simmons pass-off, the Sixers pull it out in game 7, and they go on to beat the Bucks after Giannis is forced to miss games 5/6/7? And instead of being a playoff GOAT, Simmons ends up locking up CP3 in the finals, and becomes a Philadelphia hero?

And all of this was including the fact that they pretty much drafted outright busts at #6, #3, and #1 over the course of five years. Generational talent can paper over so many bad mistakes and give you a shot to win. That's why you don't ever compromise or draft for fit until you get your guy.

Maybe you say this is impossible, but honestly, I don't think it's that much more out of the realm of possibility than people saying that the 2018 Rockets were a CP3 hamstring away from winning the championship. Weird, improbable stuff happens all the time in the playoffs and the history of the NBA. All you can do is hope that your team is positioned well enough to take advantage when all the breaks line up for you.

harold bingo and dmoneybangbang like this.
  14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Suggs to me is going to be a really solid pro, but clearly Barnes and Giddey should have been 4 and 5.

I Wouldn't deal Sengun for Suggs either.

15. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

None of Rocket's players are that bad as you describe. Green probably just needs more time to develop. He has the speed and explosiveness to finish strong but has been settling for 3s quite a lot. This should change eventually.

I do not know what your issue is with Sengun considering he has been decent for only 17 mpg that he is getting on average. He hardly looks for his own shots and hustles more than anyone else on the court on defense.

Nwaba & Tate are giving what was expected out of them, simply role players.

KPJ does not seem to be the playmaker that he is being forced to be and he still has some growing up to do mentally.

KMJ & Garuba needs more playing time.

If anything, coaching is the problem than the players but hopefully, they too evolve. It is not easy to manage a completely revamped team, especially with so many rookies.

Milos likes this.
  16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member