1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A disastrous summer for Stone

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Oct 29, 2021.

1. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

There is nothing knee jerk about this and it 100% won't look stupid in as little as a few months.

alethios and cheke64 like this.
  2. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Unless Stone knows something we don’t, not playing Wall is silly. This team needs to showcase it’s vets for trades. I think Theiss, Nwaba , Gordon, House, & Wall will all be moved at some point. Stone had a decent summer but will have to continue the roster spin.

As for Green, I was a Mobley guy but I think Green has a lot of potential if he can get his body NBA ready. His boy body needs to be overhauled to a man’s body built for the NBA. It will give him added confidence and really help his game. He’s just too physically weak to max out his talent right now. He’s got to get stronger! It’s his biggest hurdle to him becoming a superstar.

#62 TEXNIFICENT, Oct 30, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
    snowconeman22 likes this.
  3. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Wall not playing tells you they obviously don’t care about winning right now, it’s all about player development. That’s fine, but they REALLY really need a real PG on the floor so that they can develop. For that reason, Wall should be playing with this group, not getting paid an obscene amount of money to do essentially nothing at all. Right now that’s one of the biggest mistakes this team has made.

4. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

It also took a coaching change.

5. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Silas offense calls for 3 point shooting but he doesnt play his shooters lol

6. Milos

Milos Member

Yeah but ...
    If you DID take Mobley at #2, wouldn't that alter how you fill out the roster thru the rest of the draft & FA?

KPJ could be the starting SG
    Wall could start at PG
    Maybe you take Butler or Shariffe later instead of Garuba ...

Those 3 could deliver any type of 'big man service' that Rubio/Garland/Sexton provide to him on Cavs

I don't understand this new 'Cavs have such an amazing system/backcourt/coaching' logic as to why Mobley has looked so good early on

That whole organization has been irrelevant the entire 3+ decades I've been following the NBA except when LBJ was there

Since he last left, they have again been total garbage
    Seems like if they are about to become relevant again, it is OBVIOUSLY due to Mobley's arrival more than anything else

J.R. likes this.
  7. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Draft Mobley, play John Wall, re-sign Olynyk, let Nwaba walk

8. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

He's not playing the later draft picks we have lol We need shooting he aint even playing guys like brooks and kj who can shoot lol. They already decided to sit Wall and run with KPJ as point. It wouldnt have changed **** lol More than likely Gordon just would start. KPJ would still be the point guard.

#68 Joe Rocket, Oct 30, 2021
  9. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Stone is a bit overrated, but drafting Green was not a mistake, that's not fair. It was a coin flip between Mobley and Green and it's way too early to make that call.

#69 treyk3, Oct 30, 2021
    BonziWellsGOAT and DeBeards like this.
  10. Milos

Milos Member

I just don't recall any narrative about how the Cavs backcourt makes their Bigs look great ...
    Before Mobley arrived

Not arguing that Silas isn't royally flubbing our entire OFF

But since when did CLE become this pinnacle of efficient OFF basketball, renowned for repeatedly transforming pedestrian Bigs into premier producers ..?

11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

A disastrous FIRST WEEK for Clutchfans threads.

34to11 likes this.
  12. napalm06

I still regret us not holding on to Jarrett Allen instead of Exum and a '22 Milwaukee pick.

DVauthrin likes this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

I never really understood that either.

14. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

LMAO you're calling it a narrative and you havent watched a Cavs game this season I guarantee that. Secondly I didnt say they make them look good. Look through my post thats not mentioned anywhere. 3rd Rubio wasnt there last season.

They clearly have a different offense this year and garland and rubio are both averaging 8 - 9 assists. Mobley isnt some one on one guy is what I said he's getting his points from system play and pick and roll lobs from point guards who can actually spot the open man and read plays. Say what you want about Rubio but passing the ball is one thing he does really well.

#74 Joe Rocket, Oct 30, 2021
    BonziWellsGOAT likes this.
  15. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

The Cavs got Rubio this summer. This is an article about Rubios impact and it isnt just him its Garland too who looks amazing. They always have a great passing guard in the game at all time. Literally Mobley is just standing there most of the time just getting lobs and putbacks because rubio and garland are attacking the basket and passing the ball well.

https://kingjamesgospel.com/2021/10/29/cavs-ricky-rubios-instant-impact/

The Cleveland Cavaliers acquired veteran point guard Ricky Rubio from the Minnesota Timberwolves in a trade this past summer. The team let go of forward Taurean Prince, a 2022 second-round draft pick and cash considerations.

Now, the 6-foot-3 190-pound guard was drafted in 2005 by those very same Timberwolves. Rubio played six years in Minnesota, two years in Utah with the Jazz, a year in Phoenix with the Suns, back to Minnesota for a year before finally arriving in Cleveland.

On the surface, one would be assuming he’s quite the journeyman.

Most fans certainly didn’t think too much about the Rubio acquisition to the Cavaliers. After all, the man is 31 years old and in the final stretch of his career. However, what a pleasant surprise Rubio has been here with the Wine & Gold.

Cavs: Rubio’s clearly had a profound impact from the jump.
    What Rubio brings to the team is a certain glue that combines everything together as a talented playmaker, even as more so a bench lead guard. With his skills and knowledge from so many years of play, he is able to take that and bring it to the rest of the team. This includes the young guards such as Collin Sexton and Darius Garland, who spoke glowingly about Rubio at Cavs Media Day, for what it’s worth.

In the first few games of the season, Rubio is averaging 14.4 points on 43 percent shooting, to go with 7.8 assists and 3.8 rebounds. Those are very solid numbers for the role Rubio is in, and it’s evident that he’s created tons of great looks for his teammates, including bigs such as Jarrett Allen and Evan Mobley.

For the rest of the year, look for Rubio to serve as a mentor, teacher and guide to the guards and simply the team as a whole. The man has the knowledge to help the Cavaliers win when it counts most.

Right now, the team is 3-2 just coming off a big win against the Los Angeles Clippers. Rubio shot 6-of-13 for 15 points, and had three assists and three rebounds.

Overall, though, thus far, Rubio has been a heck of an offseason pickup.

BonziWellsGOAT and 34to11 like this.
  16. napalm06

The argument at the time was that Allen would command too much money at re-signing time. Still, meh.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  17. napalm06

How many posters here think that all rookies have hit their ceiling in the first week of the regular season?
    Seriously...

Rookies always look different even 3-5 years after.

James Harden scored 9.9 on 40.3% shooting his rookie season.
    Jonny Flynn scored 13.5 on 41.7%.
    (Fun fact, did you know we traded the pick that became Nikola Mirotic for Flynn?)

Stay calm. This is not NBA 2K21.

BonziWellsGOAT and Joe Rocket like this.
  18. Milos

Milos Member

Rubio is just a journeyman backup PG
    They got him for a song and nobody really cared
    ... as this article mentions

As I mentioned ... is he doing anything for CLE that Wall couldn't be doing right now for us?

Garland is a nice young player and clearly way ahead of anything KPJ is ready to deliver as a playmaker

However ...
    You are exclusively focused on Mobley's OFF value, and how G-dependant it is
    I'm not really arguing this point at all

As I also mentioned before ...
    Mobley's greatest value is what he brings on the DEF side of the court

Mobley helps out his teammates defensively just as much (or more) than they help him offensively

I doubt that statement will ever be made about Jalen Green at any point in his entire career

19. alethios

alethios Member

Maybe not Mobley so much, but you could make a case for choosing Barnes over Green. That's still just based on a small sample size, but Barnes is looking like a top 1/2 pick. If he can develop into a 35% 3pt shooter, he would be the best player in the 2021 draft IMO.

20. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Except for we dont have Nurse. Its not fair to base Jalen off of this system and this team with a rookie coach.