1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A disastrous summer for Stone

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Oct 29, 2021.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You should ask refugees what disaster means, but okay, your choice of words.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Ashley oh Ashley. [​IMG]

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

To be fair, any non-big rookie was going to look bad on this team this season given that we are a tanking team. We are built to be the worst team in the league as a strategy. So I mean keep that in perspective.

Now do I think Silas is doing a good job despite that… hell no. Do I think early returns on Mobley are looking good…yes.

But do I think Stone had a “disastrous” summer?? … no way… at least not yet.

Even if Theis and Nwaba weren’t signed the Rockets were still going to have well over 100 million in salary on the books next year anyways. Those contracts are not impacting our crucial 2023 free agent summer spending spree. Plus I do think they are tradeable players and contracts. Both players aren’t going to make an impact on this team but definitely could be solid role players on a contender.

4. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

If we had to do over again, I'd pick Jalen Green again. The problem with the Rockets is chemistry. J.Tate wants a piece, KPJ/Green wants a piece, C.Wood wants a piece. The guy that is hurting the Rockets is Tate. In his last game, in just 15 minutes he shot 8 three-pointers and only hitting 1. He never shot that many 3 pointers last year which shows he is playing his own game, not the team game. Rockets has to choose side, or it will be fragmented team for a while unless they have player's meeting to sort this out.

5. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

no systems equals to MESSY, even got buncha great players...
    (won't argue about GREAT COACH & GREAT PLAYERS situation, that's a FACT, yo could never make use of a FACT as an argument in a debate)

for silas, 20-yr proved nothing but his mediocre, in addition to his ez-going, less-creative, cheap for stone & ferntits tanking strategy.
    for our young kids n their veterans backups, 8-9 games (incl preseason games)? time span short, sample size small, nothing could be proved except - a mediocre coach only makes them looks not only mediocre but also MESSY !

6. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Most, if not all, his threes were wide open. If he doesn’t take them he should be benched. If he continues to miss them he will need to be benched. Tate is a very good role player, but his inability at the 3 point line is holding him back. I think we should wait for more than 4 games to condemn him.

Zen Tabak likes this.
  7. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Why are the Spurs 1-4 if not because of messy?

Murray is like our rookies, inconsistent.
    Spurs guards average age is 26
    Rockets guards average age is 20

Murray age 25-Derrick White age 27
    Jalen Green age 19-Porter Jr age 21

That's where it begins and ends

#47 ApacheWarrior, Oct 30, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
  8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

OP actually thinks Stone was directing a ****ing documentary

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Tate is my boy but he knows damn well he can't shoot 3's efficiently. This is where Silas tells him to stop but you see that everyone is doing whatever the hell they want. Scottie Barnes is an example of staying within your skill capacity.

10. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Stone has to share some blame ultimately if things continue in the direction that they currently are, but it’s way too early to worry about that yet. I don’t have much confidence in what they are doing right now because it’s a tangled up mess, there is no order to it at all, but you have to expect that with as many new parts as they have. It’s on Silas to piece them together, but I don’t think he has any clue about how to do that yet either. It’s going to be a long season.

11. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Unfortunately, I think the Rockets drafted two players in Green and Sengun who need experience and weight training.

When Green gets bigger he will be dynamic and Sengun needs to get physically tone, it will help his athleticism.

What helps Barnes is he's bigger, his body is more NBA ready and Mobley is taller. Mobley is getting most of his points in PNR closer to the basket. Green is having to rely on strictly jump shots, there are no driving lanes. The court is not spread.

However, I think a large part of the Rockets issues are they don't have enough size nor enough 3pt shooters and the coaching, let's face it, has been below par.

Silas is very smart, however I think now is not his time to be a HC. I think he's more of a Lead Assistant but only time will tell.

BonziWellsGOAT likes this.
  12. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

THE 'inconsistent' (murray for 1-season) can't be used to blame the coach or systems, but when yo see SILAS can hardly make good use of all his cards (right starters, timely calls, crystal clear game plan etc), it occurs to yo there are something wrong about this dude;

the same, if THE 'inconsistent' (green for 1-season) happened to our rookies, in either below situations i would not feel hesitate to blame them not mention posts like JG/SENGOON/JAYGUP/GARUBA homie:
    1) w/o a system - mike hair situation
    2) system right there, but coach got some problems - mda situation

13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Explain to me what you would do different?

Which players?

How exactly are you fast tracking these players knowledge? Do you have a
    time warp in your pocket? Don't answer that, let's keep it PG-13

14. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

My only concerns outside of coaching are the players. It seems like Stone is on the Morey train. We continue to negate the front court.

Tate - too short, no outside shot
    House - I still don't understand what he does
    Nwaba - no outside shot and not effective
    Thies - too short for his position

These are 4 players in the top of the rotation that brings absolutely nothing to the table.

Crashlanded19 and ApacheWarrior like this.
  15. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

anyway, dunt wanna move away from the topic of the post too far, my point is the experiment on our rookies n veterans (excluding DHouse) far from over yet, cuz it's only 5 games; in the meantime, essentially the experiment could never start, why? bc it's in a coach-less situation, SILAS is not more than an assistant coach, period.

16. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Lol, imagine blaming a random role player for Green not living up to expectations.

Welcome to the "justifying my past priors to not look stupid" club.

palmsnbananas and jogo like this.
  17. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Green needs structure, and from the (admittedly) little I've seen, there is not much in this offense.

Green would be better off with vets, but he'll be fine in the long term.

DeBeards likes this.
  18. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I had to laugh at the House comment.

Tate hustles, crafty around the rim. Only the second game is where I saw that new and
    improved quick release from 3. This is why I have had KMjr as starter since before the
    season. Does Martin make mistakes, yes. But it seems more good things happen than not.

Nwaba is defense. Hope is he can get back to 3P% prior to Rockets stint.

Theis was solid with Boston. Can PnR not as lob threat but like Gortat. Bounce pass,
    shuffle pass, gather and dunk. What free agent wanted to come to us? I said the
    Rockets and Nerlens Noel would probably talk.....but then Rich Paul apparently didn't
    take our calls.

Rockets had to get somebody. Sengun was in Turkey and you don't know how well he
    would transition to the NBA. Silas needs PnR guy's to run his system.

19. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Most your points are accurate. Still have hope for Nwaba and Green. Rest of your points are SPOT ON!!! Team needs to fire coaching staff asap.

20. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I still don't get why Wall is not playing. I've always thought, OUTTA SIGHT IS OUTTA MIND.

If he doesn't play, how will he draw interest? Also, if you want Wall to teach KPJ, there's no better way than being on the court with him.

I thought a lineup of Wall, Green and KPJ could've worked well initially

DreamShook, DeBeards and TEXNIFICENT like this.