1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A disastrous summer for Stone

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Oct 29, 2021.

1. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

BTW Alperen averages almost 9 points and 4 rebounds on 45% from the field 33% from 3 in18 minutes per game. Mobley only averages 15 points 8 rebounds on 50% from the field 26% from 3 in 34 minutes per game. Silas got ya'll thinking we have busts because he's not giving Sengun enough minutes in a system built for his play. Mobley plays almost twice the minutes Sengun plays. They are not as far apart as you think.

2. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I don't know if disastrous is the right word.

But boy those people proclaiming Stone was the greatest GM alive sure did pipe down awfully quickly.

3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

gonna save this thread for later.

4. 18pbr

18pbr Member

Keep in mind Tyreke Evans won rookie of the year over Curry. Nobody thought Curry would be the MVP and champion that he is today. In fact, i remember some of the Warriors fans were pissed that Monta was traded and not Steph. My point is that this stuff takes time.

I might be the minority on this one but I really like what I have seen from Green and Sengun. Sengun's defense has been amazing even though that was suppose to be his weekness. I mean Alpi is ranked #6 in the entire NBA in steals with limited minutes.

Green as of now is more of a streaky shooter but I do think over time he will be very consistent. You have to look at the development of Green's game day by day. He finally was able to attack and get to the foul line quite often against the best defensive team in the Jazz. His playmaking is a lot better than I had anticipated in year 1. To me Green's shot is just not falling but when it does...my my my.

Side note: Edwards struggled early on last year and got better as the season went on as a rookie. Currently he is averaging 25 a game. Lets just be a bit more patient with Green.

5. Jalen Green OnlyFan

Almost as if he wants us to lose for a better pick

stone you magnificent b*stard.

6. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

to gregg popovich, all players are useful (ya should know how to use), as long as they're willing to learn n fit in w/ pop's system, putting aside their big ego, remaining self-disciplined, putting their nose to the grindstone;
    to SILAS n his NULL system, any talent looks no more than a dumbass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Joe Rocket and ApacheWarrior like this.
  7. fattz

fattz Member

I am still here; it’s early; the coaching is a concern —> it maybe part of the bigger picture. Stone is better than most GMs, IMO.

7uche, hakeem94 and 18pbr like this.
  8. Jontro

Jontro Member

i would say catastrophic. missed out on pairing turkish delight with suggs

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. fattz

fattz Member

…,

Jontro likes this.
  10. idshiy

idshiy Member

I would be happy to have either of them in the team, no need to say who is better than who in only this a few games

Joe Rocket and i3artow i3aller like this.
  11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

You may be right .... But from my own experience , I think its more of a technique issue than anything else.

Backstory - growing up I had a very similar build to Green - 6'3 & 7/8 bare foot and 165 soaking wet as a Jr in highschool.
    I played point guard for a back to back 5A state championship squad that had 6 players go on to NCAA (I had a baseball scholarship) and eventually 2 into the NBA back in the 80's. Damn near everyone was bigger / stronger than me ....
    We ran a metric ton of pick & roll , it was the staple of our offense outside of posting up our big man (played for the Nets) .... and it really doesn't require a hell of a lot of strength. It's so much about the angles the guard takes off of the pick that creates the openings.

That's not to say strength doesn't help ... It most assuredly does to some degree but the angles are much more important. Watch CP3 run a high pick and roll ....

12. xaos

xaos Member

13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I don't make decisions on an empty stomach and I don't judge basketball on 4 preseason
    and 5 regular season games. Many players look good for 20 games and then hit a wall.

#34 ApacheWarrior, Oct 30, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
  15. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes the Spurs. 1-4. They haven't done anything since Duncan retired. Coincidence how
    good players make coaches look like geniuses and inexperienced players make coaches look
    like dumb*****

Zen Tabak and i3artow i3aller like this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

The Ruhfell Stone experiment is over?

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

so it’s begun

by December, Sengun will be catching strays, just watch

18. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

Kindly pls do not just look back the performance of spurs in the past 5-7yr, how about past 20yr? when SILAS staying comfortably as a assistant coach…n are players listed below who once upon a time in spurs jercey were top picks or outstanding prospects? Nope! they came from nowhere but feeling comfortable in pop's system!
    Nando De Colo,
    Cory Joseph,
    Patrick Mills,
    Tiago Splitter
    Beno Udrih
    Davis Bertans…
    let's see wht gonna happen in the coming 20-40 games under the baton of SILAS, actually even now he dunt know sengoon deserves starting for 30+min (the most likely person who might save his job before Christmas), even in the fourth quarter against j*zz the dumbass reluctant to make use of our well-proved second string to keep the momentum of a beautiful comeback in the third quarter.
    Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh…again see the next 20-40 games how he manage resources at his elbow, see wht change he gonna bring to this team, i bet it's NULL!

#38 DeBeards, Oct 30, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
    Joe Rocket likes this.
  19. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

I would have taken Davion Mitchell over green. In today's league I take the pt guard first, the rockets have none.

Corrosion likes this.
  20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

But what did they have in common? Good players next to them.
    Ginobi, Parker, Kawhi, Duncan

Kyle Kuzma at one time looked good....next to LeBron.
    Then they shipped him out of there.

Systems are great with good players....not so great with
    not good players. Coaches are great with great players
    but not so great with not great players.

Pat Riley, Phil Jackson, Eric Spoelstra are great with great players.....
    Not so much when those great players leave their team or retire.

See Spoelstra with LeBron without then with Jimmy Butler.