1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Deng - Love Combo might be what's best for us.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by newAge_Rockets, Jul 1, 2014.

1. newAge_Rockets

YES another thread, but I think this could be an incredible deal.

After offloading Lin+cash and a euro stash (as incentives for taking Lin) for little salary in return..
    Trade Jones, the NOP pick, future HOU pick, one of our euro stash (besides Capela), Parsons in a sign and trade for Love.

Sign Deng for 3 year/34.5 million. Kind of high, but he already rejected 3 year/30 million from Chicago.

Beverley $915,243 Canaan $816,482
    Harden $14,728,844 Daniels $816,482
    Deng $11,500,000 Covington $816,482
    Love $15,719,062 Motiejunas $1,483,920
    Howard $21,436,271 Johnson $545,000 (estimation)

Starting Five Cost of $64,299,420
    10 players currently under contract cost $68,777,786
    I'm not sure, but I think we still have our MLE, and we could sign Jordan Hill or Okafor as back up center and Jameer Nelson or someone else (Patty Mills?) as a back up PG and a cheap wing defender (Garcia or Sefolosha).

We would be able to fill out our roster without going over the projected luxury tax threshold of 77,000,000.

I think this is best case scenario if we lose out on Melo, but you would have to take the risk on Deng at 11.5 million a year.
    Also, do you think that projected team could take down OKC, LAC, or SA.
    Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,
    New Age

2. BeardSanity

BeardSanity Member

good post,
    not to bash, but bench is insanely weak, I really would only feel good about that lineup if we could secure some players with the mle or Vet min as you stated.

3. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Delete....fake twitter

4. newAge_Rockets

I completely agree that the bench looks absolutely terrible, and with Deng ' s increasing age it would put too much of a burden on young guys like Daniels. They would have to work out a three team deal, or something where we can get a Martin or Bud back from Minnesota. But since I'm an amateur capologist, I wasn't sure how to make that work.

5. mattty123

mattty123 New Member

The only thing holding up this plan is Chandler agreeing to go to Minneosta which to me seems unlikely based off all the interest he already has

6. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

That's one ****ty bench...just sayin

7. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

is it really much worse than our bench now lol? McHale could just stagger the minutes of the starters so there are always at least 2 on the court together to carry the load. The bench players would just need to knock down open shots and play solid D (which isn't asking a lot IMO).

8. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Who's going to run the offense in that scenario? Mr. ISO James Harden? We need a point guard why doesn't anyone see this?!

9. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Would we still have the MLE if we did a sign and trade for a max player?

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

A Lowry+Love+Lebron combo is what's best for us.

11. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

Yaaahhhh.

[​IMG]

12. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

yes, we would. MLE would only be available if we did not use our cap room - ie. S&T for any of the available stars/free agents.

13. meh

meh Contributing Member

I personally want to stay away from Deng as far as possible. I honestly hope Morey only called Deng just in case of a Millsap situation last year, where his agent overplays his hand and is left with no suitors. No way I'm paying Deng market value. Rather have Lowry at slightly higher price.

All I want is some Love.

14. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

The one thing about Deng which is a huge positive is that he can actually defend. Parsons for whatever reason doesn't seem to care much about defending any longer.

1 person likes this.
  15. meh

meh Contributing Member

Cleveland last year was better on defense when Deng was OFF THE COURT. Deng is a product of Thibs system. He lost his will to defend the moment he didn't have to put up with Thibs.

16. icecreamman

icecreamman Member

11.5 mill for deng lol

Weak bench

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Deng is great, hard nose, defensive, hustles...

But he can't shoot (which is a problem for a wing player in our system, and he's going to want too much money.

I would much rather get Ariza for cheaper, and upgrade our bench by signing another player or maybe keeping more players instead of trading them away for cap space. Then trade for Love!

18. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

What's best for this team is a Love trade then upgrading the horrid bench.

19. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Deng has the attributes to be a good defender and proved it for years in Chicago.

Cleveland was the aberration not Chicago.

20. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

I honestly don't see Love coming here unless he chooses to come here. Too many teams have better picks & combinations of younger prospects to offer than we do. That line up would be very strong in the East but in the West without a good bench, a good coach that knows how to manage their players time and star players that play on both sides of the court.. yeah that's asking for a lot..