1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A couple of hypothetical trades I would like

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Aug 26, 2005.

1. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

He doesn't provide any D? You've never watched him play.

2. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Let's just say, if we got him, it's the offense I would be worrying about.

I remember a game down in L.A. a few years ago, Cat was on fire. They brought Miles in and he completely smothered him. Steve then caught fire so they put Miles on him. He proceeded to completely stifle Steve. Earlier this year, matched up against Tracy in a game here, I would say he outplayed McGrady, and I don't think that happened many times last year.

In this defense, Miles would practically be Artest.

3. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Adding Miles seems like a potential fast-breaking dream, but I wonder if we have the rebounding to get on the break enough? How would Miles handle splitting time and in the half-court set? His athletic freakiness and Van Gundy's coaching ability are enough to make him intriguing.

4. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Here is a trade I was trying, but I didn't think it was worth a new thread so I'll just piggy back here.

Rockets trade Ward, Baker and Mooch to Minnesota for Szczerbiak.

We give up no talent for some talent.
    We give up expiring contracts for a difficult to trade three year contract
    I think WallyWorld's shooting and height would be a terrefic fit in our offenseive game, but I would expect his defense is a liability to our defense.

I think minny does this for the cap flexibility. Would we be interested?

5. Possum

Possum Member

The question is, would Min be interested? NO!

6. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

How about DerMarr Johnson, Denver has signed Vashon Lenard, is and reportedly is very close to signing Greg Buckner which leaves DJ as an UFA with noplace to go. I don't know exctly how we could do it, but he would make a dandy backup '3' and a good replacement '2' if not a starter. Also, 82games.com rated the 6th best defender at the '2' last year. He is 6'9" and 210 lbs which would make a nice size compliment to TMac.

7. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Really, I thought they were desperate to dump that contract. Between him and KG they pretty much take up all of their cap space. Szezerbiak does have a $9,000,000.00 contract.

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Of course they would. But we would be idiots to take on that huge contract. After this year, we will not have any bad contracts, except maybe Howard's.

The only way I would even think about taking on that huge cap killer Sczczczczczczczczcerbiatch would be if they took Howard's contract off our hands in return, and even then, I don't think I would do it.

9. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

So how much should a NBA starting PF of Howard's caliber be paid?

10. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

The only thing JVG could use Wally for is if he cracked open his skull and ate his Lucky Charms out of Wally's head.

We need a beefy guy that can play PF and C. That isn't Wally.

11. krosfyah

The final 2 years of Howards contract are iffy, at best. Right now he pretty much earns his keep but I don't think that'll continue. Is Jeff Bagwell still worth 19mil/yr?

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

How about taking Adonal Foyle's terrible contract off the Warriors hands if they throw in Pietrus? ;)

As for Miles, I know his outside shot is suspect and I know his attitude is suspect....although he just got married and that might settle him down a bit.....but man, imagining him on the perimeter with Tmac and Swift? Are you kidding me? This team would be a Terror defensively!

Next year's FA class isnt so great. And the Rockets probably will have a good year so their draft pick wont be very high. The Rockets BEST chance at adding a "quality" player is probably closer to the Trading Deadline and offering Wesley's (and someone elses) expiring contract to a team looking to unload a bad contract on a good player. The Rockets have to be willing to take on more salary and years at this point to get that player. It could be a very important acquisition.

13. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

Juwan's game is not predicated on athleticism, so I think he can play at this level for another 5 years.
    Let's assume he doesn't do that his last year or two. Then he becomes a great expiring contract just like Baker and Moochie. It's not as bad a contract as everybody makes it seem. He's getting paid 6mill/per
    Ray Allen is a year younger than Juwan and he just got a 6year/90mill+ contract. Allen could conceivably not perform well when he's 36, but he gets paid $20 mill his last year.
    90% of NBA players are overpaid the last year of their contracts, because of their age and because of the salary increments. Howard could be one of those players.

14. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I'd be okay with that too, although Foyle is grossly overpaid and would cost us a lot of lux tax in the following years. That trade would effectively handicap us against making further big deals and we would probably have to forego our MLE for a year or two because Foyle is owed so much money and he is dead weight. Nobody would trade for him without sending back something even worse. I would much rather prefer to try to get Miles because we could still make another trade or use the MLE for a PG next season without causing us too much lux tax dollars. Pietrus or Miles, those are the types of swingmen that I think would make us a juggernaut. I just don't see us being able to do a whole lot more about the PG situation.

15. krosfyah

Please don't use the word "great" and "Baker and Moochie" in the same sentence again. It is misleading. ;)

Seriously, if Swift takes over the starting spot, as everybody seems to think, then Howard is a long term 6 mil/yr bench warmer. That's a little steep...particularly if his productivity goes down. Given what we saw last year when Howard sucked when coming off the bench, that seems pretty likely. If we get a chance to move Howard's contract this year for something decent in return, I'd say we should take it while he still has some value.

16. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Ok, Wesley and Ward and $2 mill cash for Miles after his BYC expires next week. IF we have to, throw in a pick. Ward retires and signs back here as one of Van Gundy's assistants. Even the Portland fans are okay with dumping Miles. How bout it Van Gundy?

Sura
    Miles
    TMac
    Yao
    Stro

James
    Anderson
    Barry
    Deke
    Juwon

Head
    Bowen
    Moochie
    Baker
    Baxter

Miles and Anderson can platoon starting depending on the matchups and we've got a very good first and second units with Head being able to develop on the bench and Baxter sitting there ready to contribute if a big gets injured and Bowen for energy and Baker and Moochie for maybe one more midseason tweak.

17. BornRocketRed

BornRocketRed Member

Up here in Portland, they say Miles got Cheeks fired--as in he showed the upper brass just how little control Cheeks in his last months had in the locker room. They gave him a big contract, hoping that having the security and the rewards for his fabulous potential now would shape him into a consistently hard-working player (who has superstar talent). He responded with attitude: some games he would dominate, others he would disappear, and then he mouthed to Cheeks that he didn't have to do anything except bide his time for the next coach. And then he still was inconsistent.

That said, he's been married (I heard), and if the Rockets go for him, I trust that they've made a good judge of a "redeemed" character. But they got burned with Eddie Griffin; and at least I think Griffin's heart was in the right place if not his brain--with Miles I doubt both. I don't believe the Rox will look in this direction for help.

18. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Here's one for you.

Houston sends Wesley/Lottery protected #1 pick, or Spanoulis, to Utah.

Utah sends Harpring to Houston.

Utah gets an experienced PG with good defensive skills & an expiring contract as insurance in case Deron Williams struggles. They also acquire an extra future #1 pick, or another option at PG for the future.

Houston gets a solid shooting/rebounding SF/SG.

19. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Interesting idea.....

Picture a better version of Ryan Bowen with actual skills and coordination without being an offensive liability.

What's the status of his contract though? According to Hoopshype he's either in the last year of his contract or they simply haven't updated it.

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Nice one - I thought about this as well, but because I did not want to consider giving up a pick, I didn't post it :). I'd like it, though.