1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

A couple facts you might want to remember about Chris Bosh and his salary

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 4, 2010.

1. \/|()L/\T()R

\/|()L/\T()R Member

Having run my own business, I appreciate the offer, but i'm inclined not to...

So are you stating every single owner in the NBA in your opinion, feels that Bosh is easily worth the Max?

2. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

The truth.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

A few more thoughts reacting to posts:

1. Whether a player is "worth the max" or "worth the MLE" or even "worth the vet minimum" is obviously a matter that each team needs to decide, but to say it's "purely subjective" just because some teams disagree with each other is not entirely correct. Yes, there is a subjective part, but Daryl Morey's project over the last few years has been to bring in as much objective data as possible. The Rockets are not, of course, 100% correct about everything, but if they think Bosh is worth the max (or more), at the very least I believe it's an opinion with some objective basis formed after the team did extensive homework.

2. Bosh may well not be the league MVP-caliber guy that James, Wade, Kobe, Hakeem, Jordan, etc. are/were, but if he's a top 10-15 guy, if he's, say, Pau Gasol caliber, there are good reasons to believe he's well worth the "max."

3. Also, to say that he's not a "true max" guy if he can carry his team to some playoff success is also not entirely fair. As I posted earlier, Bosh's team has won 43, 47, 33, 40 wins in the last few years , these number are not pretty comparable to what Kobe did without Shaq/Gasol (and remember, Caron Butler and Lamar Odom are far from total scrubs) and what Wade during the decline and after the departure of Shaq. A guy can't do it alone when the supporting cast is constructed wrong.

4. What we do know about Chris Bosh is that he's a high volume (28+ Usage rate) AND high efficiency scorer (.592 TS% last season), who gets to the FT line a lot and does great job hitting the high-post jumpers and getting to the basket easily because guys have to defend his J-- offensive tools that perfectly fits Morey's philosophy (get in the penalty, hit FTs) and Adelman's system (how many open high post opportunities did we see Scola or Landry last year). Beyond the scoring, he also brings length, atheleticism and rebouding. All this when he just turned 26 toward the end of last season.

Frankly, you won't find many like him among the league's roster. And that's what makes him an elite player.

5. CBA might change and lower the salary max by say, 30-40%. I kind of doubt it, but am not familiar enough with the negotiations to predict. The CBA may also "retroactively" lower the contracts signed this summer. Teams probably have a good feel about what's coming.

The question is then whether teams should simply hold off doing anything other than, say, sign the Lebron James, this summer until the CBA is hammered out. Seems like most teams, even ones run by pretty smart guys, are not doing that (Gasol extended, Dirk, Pierce got new deals, Rockets are not afraid to spend, teams other than the Rockets, like Spurs and Mavs and Lakers, are reported to have shown interest in Bosh).

My guess is that most teams, including the Rockets don't believe that the math about the "max guys" will change so dramatically as to render a good max contract for Bosh under the current CBA a bad one next year.

6. If you want to define wanting to earn maximum money as "greedy." Fine. It's a matter of semantics. The question is whether there is anything wrong with "being greedy" as defined. Does "greedy" player play less hard or less intelligently or successfully than less greedy ones? I don't recall any objective evidence proving that. I think both Stro Swift and Steve Francis (the second time) turned down higher offers to "come home" to play. Didn't turn out that well. Carl Landry and his agent bargained hard, but Carl also played hard.

I suspect Daryl Morey might have a database for that stuff.

4. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

In a system without a cap, yes, Bosh would definitely be worth more that the current Max contract. However - THAT IS NOT THE QUESTION!

The question - and what Morey has to calculate is, what is his worth to the Rockets in a system where we have a soft cap. Ie, how much extra value does Bosh bring compared to Scola, and how does that affect the team's economic situation? Does it mean that we can't afford a quality backup point guard or center? Does it mean that we can't afford either one?

In short, it's not an question of economics, it's a question of smart budget management. While Les may have said that we can go over the luxury tax for a championship contending team, we don't have an unlimited budget like the Lakers or Knicks.

5. CXbby

CXbby Member

Case in point.

You missed everything the OP tried to say. The Lebron, Kobe, Wade, and yes even Boshs of the league are artificially UNDERPAID due to the "max". In a free market, they would all be earning much much more, due to their much much higher production/effect on winning compared to their colleagues. Therefore, even if Bosh is not as good as the rest of the crop, the "max" may still be a bargain compared to the rest of the league.

Lets pretend:

Lebron's production is REALLY worth $40 mil/yr
    Kobe's production is REALLY worth $35 mil/yr
    Wade's production is REALLY worth $30 mil/yr

Bosh's production is REALLY worth $25 mil/yr

Sure he is not as good as the others, but thats STILL a bargain for a $15 mil/yr "max".

6. Carl Herrera

To clarify, there are two caps: The team salary cap and the individual player salary cap. My argument is that whether there is (a) no cap at all either on team or individual salary, or (b) there is a team salary cap as presently constituted, but not an individual "max cap," Bosh's impact on a team would more than justify the 6 year $120 mil number.

And, to your point, operating under the current system, the very data-driven Rockets front office have decided to place a heavy bet on Bosh (if given the opportunity), I believe that tells us something about his impact.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

The thing which I think CH, and esp. Meh seem to gloss over is that getting Bosh puts you in an inherent disadvantage against LBJ, Kobe and Wade.

In a vacuum, getting Bosh for a 15 mill is a steal for the max. Compare that with Miami getting Wade, or Chicago getting Lebron, or Lakers getting Kobe, and who's getting stiffed, and who's winning out? The NBA isn't a vacuum, you have 30+ team competing against each other. Even if Bosh is a steal, if LBJ/Wade/Kobe are all bigger steals who'll lose when you play? The guy with Bosh, or the guy with LBJ/Wade/Kobe?

The benchmark is higher for the max players due to Wade/Kobe/LBJ. If you can't reach that or can't provide other things which offset what Wade/Kobe/LBJ does (like D and reb for Dh, or playmaking for CP3), then the logic that Bosh doesn't deserve the max has some merit to it.

8. Carl Herrera

So, not getting Bosh puts the Rockets at less of an inherent disadvantage agaisnt LBJ, Kobe and Wade?

Not getting Bosh gives the Rockets better chance at acquiring Wade/Kobe/LBJ?

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

I don't see why there's no economic factor in it. It is at its basis, supply and demand. Nothing more. The fact that there is a price ceiling only make the commodity even more valuable than he otherwise would be in a free market.

Due to such ceilings in the NBA market, there basically 3 types of players who you can obtain for less than what they make.

1. Superstars
    2. Full MLE players(if you're not overpaying)
    3. Draft picks.

And of these, superstars are by far the least available product, which is why Morey is so desperate when one appears.

10. trugoy

trugoy Member

There is only 3 ways to get great value from NBA contracts

1. Pay a MAX FA that is worth more than the max, i.e. lebron, wade, bosh, etc...

2. Have someone on a rookie contract, i.e. durant, brooks, etc...

3. Play hardball in RFA and scare teams into lowball offers that you match. carl landry, etc...

Any non-max UFA is by definition not a bargain, and that is the majority of contracts in the NBA, so it makes no sense to say you are at a disadvantage signing bosh for the MAX.

You might not be at a greater advantage signing bosh as compared to lebron, but compared to anything else you can do with the money, you are at a greater advantage than any other team.

11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

CH, I understand what youre trying to explain about the system, but i used wade v bosh and u make it seem like they just came into the league 4 yrs ago. Bosh came into the league in 03 and was the same age as anthony and has made the plahoffs, what 2 times? Wade as a rookie led his team to the 2nd rd and won a title by yr 3 with the help of shaq. Joe johnson took a pathetic hawks franchise and they have made the playoffs 3 yrs in a row. Bosh is a complimentary player much like gasol. The problem is the rockets dont have the main guy for him to coattail ride and they will pay him like batman,not robin. When u pay for batman,u want batman and thats my deal with bosh. If the team wants a complimentary player, there are loads of those guys not making max at all star quality. You cant pay robin and cato and expect to win a title with both eating up max dollars. Bosh right now isnt even top 10 to me. Nash, minus amare, another robin, went to the wcf. Dirk, with howard as the 2nd best player went to the finals. Paul,williams,durant, and other are more impactful players than bosh. Thats what u pay max for, not a guy who cant even make the playoffs in the east on a consistent basis.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I hope you don't expect any of us to type out your moniker. Copy and paste, maybe, but with all due respect, that's just absurd.

13. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I think we dont have Batman and Robin here with Bosh. We do have Robin, Robin, Robin, and Robin though. Four Robins are good enough to get us to the Finals and win it like Detroit did with no main guy there. You have Yao, Bosh, Martin, Brooks. Thats 4 guys who could be the second guy to any Kobe, Lebrons, or Dwight Howards team. All 4 of these guys together are very dangerous to any team. So? While its not necessarily Wade and Bosh? Its still Bosh, Yao, Brooks, and Martin. Quit frankly I would take that lineup anyday over Wade and Bosh and a bunch of scrubs. They arent winning anything like that and 4 allstar level or near allstar level players on one team is better than two Superstars on a team with no depth like the 3 headed superstar team of Hakeem, Pippen, and Barkley prove. They had no depth and they couldnt win against deeper teams. Neiether would the current trio talked about over our lineup with Bosh in it.

14. leebigez

Its nothing wrong with the Pistons model, but all those guys made about the same. The starting 5 had 1 guy over 10m and that was rasheed. When wallace became free, he left for max money. Also, when they faced a team with a superstar, they lost. That was one of the most unique teams ever. If yao was making 10m,bosh 10m,trevor 6,brooks 7m,scola 8m, and a bench loaded with upside,thats cool. In the present setup, bosh and yao will eat up 34m of a 55m cap and neither guys are closers. I do think yao and bosh fits, but in a close game, neither will have the ball.

15. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Brooks or martin will have the ball and thats not so bad. I dont think if we get Bosh and Yao reups next year after we win the title. ;) Yao will make the max anymore. I think he might resign for less so as to be able to have more room to field the competitive Championship team. You have to getthem all in one place here first to get everything worked out. You cant just speculate how everything would have or wont until it happens. What you can do is not do it and never find out.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Very well said. CB4 is a valuable player and fits like a glove in our offensive system. In addition he brings his length and athleticism to help our interior defense. With Yao we would be scary. He needs to focus it on D more I guess because we have alot of offensive weapons now. Thats the main difference to JVG and his two superstars system.

17. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Pistons had Billups and Rasheed, who were underrated all-stars. They score very high in wins generated for their teams in their primes.

18. Carl Herrera

1. The Batman-Robin stuff is silly. This is basketball, not some fantasy comic book.

2. Assuming the Rockets need someone better than Chris Bosh.... Wade, Lebron, Chris Paul (is CP enough of a "Batman" for you people?), Carmelo Anthony (is he enough of a "Batman" for you people?), explain to me how getting Bosh and paying him the max in anyway prevents Rockets from going after one of these guys. Does not having Bosh mean they will have an easy time trading for a "Batman"? Does it mean they can sign a "Batman" if they don't have Bosh? The Rockets will not have cap room with or without Bosh unless they gut their roster. Even if they gut their roster, does it mean that the Rockets will all os a sudden become a more attractive FA destination? Are you proposing the team just give up all of their pieces-- from Martin, to Scola to Battier to Ariza to Budinger, etc. and just tank and rebuild? What does that guarantee you? Look at the Grizz... got a few decent lotto pieces, finally got 40 wins, and are they going to continue their rise up to championship level? Doubt it.

3. So, lets say the Rockets don't go after Bosh, because he isn't enough of a Batman and doesn't have a large enough penis to satisfy you people, tell me how you realistically get a "Batman" in the fold to satisfy your craving.

19. leebigez

Now matter how many numbers u crunch in sports, the human element can never be left out or not taken into account. Sure u think the batman and robin aspect is silly, but its more metaphoric and truthful. Thats why a guy like gasol couldnt win a playoff game in memphis. Not only that, he sulked and forced his way out. He gets to La and having a head strong hard ass like kobe helped his overral on court game and production in the cluth. Of course,cutch situations is something I've heard morey doesnt take into account in the process of winning.

The guy who will get in a players mix because he missed a defensive assignment or didnt rotate isnt a job for everyone, but most assume its a job that is reserved for you best/highest paid player. That is true most times, but there have been times when the best/highest paid wasnt that guy. Having bosh and yao at the same time on the same team, making max money wont solvethe leadership problem on the team.Both guys are get along/want to be liked types. When cassell went to minny, he was that guy just like he was in jersey and milwaukee. When u pay max money, you should get it all and bosh isnt going to give you all of it. Just as webber wasnt that guy in sacramento, bosh is in he same mold. Does he make the team better? Yes. Does prevent the team from getting other good players?Les has never paid a penny over the lux tax so that depends.

So now that brings me to this conclusion and the end game. To me, i need to see what I'm going to get out of yao. I guess it would be easy to say add bosh now and if yao doesnt work out, they still have an all star player. I just think the cost of bosh both financially and withthe assets seem too high.

20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Batman couldnt even make the playoffs.
    Robin made the playoffs and couldnt win a game.

Teams win and lose games, not players.