1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A city that deserves a NFL team

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by UtilityPlayer, Jan 14, 2014.

Tags:
  1. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

They have the longhorns. I am sure UT would lobby hard against it, and UT gets what it wants.

3. underoverup

underoverup Member

4. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

I think OKC would be a good choice , they love football down there.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

How about cities that currently do not deserve a NFL team? Because the only way the NFL "expands" will be to LA or London. Any other city would need a team to move there.

Move candidates:
    1. St. Louis Rams - already lost a team before, and team already wants a new stadium.

2. Jacksonville - media market just isn't large enough to support a losing team.

3. Nashville - would probably never put it in doubt if Bud was still alive... but eventually, either the stadium will need replacing, or being a small media market will get them.

Rule of thumb should be any city with 'ville in it should probably not have a NFL team.

6. nachbarFTW

nachbarFTW Member

^This is a better discussion and more likely in my opinion.
    I would add Buffalo to that list.

7. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Would the NFL work in Vancouver, BC? I would think that might be a little intriguing.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yeah... I was going to put them, but they just signed an agreement last March for a new lease, and approved improvements to their stadium.

That keeps them there at least the next 10 years. They also have much more historic value vs. the above teams. Finally, they would more than likely move to Toronto before any place else.

9. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Oklahoma City doesn't work for the same reasons that Austin doesn't - college is king there. OU is in Norman, less than 20 miles away from OKC. The region is crazy for the Sooners. While they have the Thunder, most people would probably admit to caring more for Sooner football than Thunder basketball.

10. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Portland. Mainly because the dream of the 90's is still alive over there.

11. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Don't think so. If the NBA couldn't make it, I don't think NFL could. Plus it is very close to Seattle.

12. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Definitely Vegas!

13. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Austin doesn't work because the population is small. While technically the city is ranked highly, it has a very tiny metroplex which is what matters. Not the city population. Seattle is a great example. Small city but surrounded by Bellevue, Kirkland, Tacoma and Redmond. All of those take up less space than the city of Houston. Just where you draw boundaries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Metropolitan_Statistical_Areas

There are other teams like that. Giants, Jets, 49ers, Redskins, Cardinals, Detroit used to be.

14. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

I would love to visit Portland , Vancouver for NFL games and spend weekends there.

15. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Yeah, Austin has no pro team for a reason.

16. Brando2101

The bigger problem is that the city would never agree to fund any money for a stadium. I don't know what UT would do to stop it from happening other than paying for a campaign against it which I don't think they can get away with.

17. El Hijo de Odio

Don't forget about Toronto. They draw very well when the Bills played there.

18. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is Cowboys country. Austin's weird in that way: Cowboys for football, Spurs for basketball and, historically, Astros for baseball. The latter has definitely shifted to the Rangers in recent years as the Astros have plummeted. I see more Rangers gear than Astros' at Academy here now than I used to.

If all you can envision is a smear campaign from UT, don't belittle that. The weight that university can throw around in Austin is hefty and they get their way.

19. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Jerry Jones has a lot of power in NFL league offices, and there is no way he would allow another NFL team to come into what's historically been his territory (SA/Austin). It's downright scary how badly San Antonio is owned by the Cowboys, honestly.

I also find it hilarious and moronic when Spurs fans talk **** to Mavs fans about their basketball team, and then turn around and root for a Dallas football team like an insane imbecile.

20. Brando2101

See what is that? Is it the regents calling the Mayor? What will the university threaten to do? How will they control city council. I'm not saying you are wrong. I'm saying the idea of UT having power seems right but how is that practically implemented?