1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Bunch of Sony Fanboy BS...or Is It?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RC Cola, Aug 29, 2006.

1. RC Cola

RC Cola Member

If you guys recall, in the Resistance thread from a week ago, I mentioned some crazy PS3 rumors that I read. One of the rumors was that Resistance was ~20GB, which I thought was BS...until MTV basically confirmed it. I thought that was pretty interesting, but just a lucky guess (meaning I still thought the rest of the rumors were BS). Well...now I'm not so sure. :confused:

Here's most of those rumors:
    http://genmay.com/showthread.php?t=667429
    Now he's obviously a fanboy (he actually admits it more or less), and I wouldn't really trust his opinion for most things. However, as far as the facts goes, it seems like he's getting at least some things right. As mentioned, he pretty much nailed the game size for Resistance. He also got a couple of other things right about Resistance (gun that passes through solid matter, the sound setup), although I'm not sure if that info was publically available prior to his post. If I'm not mistaken, I think PSM actually said Resistance did not support 7.1 (5.1 instead), but a Gamespot preview put up last night confirms that the game does support 7.1.

His sports game comparison might also be alluding to Virtua Tennis 3, although I'm not sure if that is the case since it seems like the 360/PS3 specs and the different teams working on the game make up for the difference in the visuals (PS3 version apparently does look better, though probably not because of disc space). So either he was sort of right here, or VT3 is not the game he was referring to.

Then there's this:
    http://www.buy.com/prod/Sony_PSP_Entertainment_Pack/q/loc/108/202945637.html
    In case you already forgot, from his post:
    That's what pushed me over the edge.

There seems to be some inaccuracies in his post (EX:pSP outselling DS by 1.2M...unless there's some data I'm unaware of), so I'm not sure if it should be 100% believed. He may know some things (maybe works in retail, so he knew about the PSP pack), guessed right on others (Resistance info), and 80% of the rest is BS (which includes all the "good" stuff). I don't know for sure. But I'm paying a lot more attention to this stuff than I expected to.

I think I'm still going to go with the "it is just BS rumors" assumption, but if something else he said gets confirmed (especially something big like the Oblivion stuff), then... :eek:

2. Coach AI

Coach AI Member

That's one angry fanboy.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

Did you get that article from Hoopsworld or RealGM?

4. redefined

redefined Member

And thats probably the only thing he gets right. That was already confirmed by Sony. No reason to get all excited

5. RC Cola

RC Cola Member

What was the only thing he got right (which was confirmed by Sony)? He got like 3-5 things right (depending on if you count the Resistance info all together or separate...plus the VT3 thing). I wouldn't put much into just a lucky guess (in fact, I didn't when I thought it was just one lucky guess), but it seems like he has quite a few "lucky guesses."

Again, not that I totally believe this stuff, but I'm thinking about giving him more credit than I originally did.

6. Coach AI

Coach AI Member

What three things did he get right?

7. RC Cola

RC Cola Member

Resistance info (disc space mostly, plus the info about the weapons and the audio)

The PSP Entertainment pack.

And possibly the VT3 info, although I mentioned reasons as to why this may or may not be accurate (maybe even somewhere in-between). He may have gotten this right, but overstated some things (the difference in graphics, the importance of BR, etc.).

8. Coach AI

Coach AI Member

This post was like a week ago, right? When was the MTV article put on the site?

I suppose that's the big thing to give him credibility; what is he supposed to be? A developer or something?

As far as the PSP bundle goes...not really that big a deal. In the process of said bundle being created, posted to a retail supplier like Buy.com, pictures sent, page created, etc....it's not that big a stretch to have come across that information without being a big time insider.

Hell, I remember even low-level EB employees would get signage for major price cuts like a week in advance (if not more) at the store level.

But yeah, the Resistance stuff could mean something, I suppose.

9. RC Cola

RC Cola Member

Going by the forum posts, it seems like he made those comments around the 18th. The MTV article was put up on the morning of the 22nd. Seems about right since I remember reading about the rumors a few days before the MTV article was put up. I thought some people were going crazy when I saw them saying Resistance took up 20+GB of space (thought they were taking that from the rumors, not the MTV article). I'm guessing that whatever event MTV went to, this guy probably went there too (may even work at MTV...I don't know).

Yeah, as I said, the PSP stuff by itself doesn't seem like THAT big of a deal. Getting that one thing right would just lead me to believe he works in retail (like you said), not that he's some big insider.

It is the combination of things he's getting right that's starting to make me wonder. As I said, I'm still not ready to believe his stuff (especially when he says a game looks like Advent Children), but again, if another thing turns out to be true...I'm not sure what to think.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

If you don't have to compress textures you can make things look REALLY sweet.

DD

11. Coach AI

Coach AI Member

I think the thing that throws me off is that it comes across like Exhibit A in 'how to post everything Sony fans want to hear'. It's like insider info is one thing...but a carefully constructed post that pretty much turns spins every single discussion point into a positive? That's a bit much.

You may be right with the 'retail connections/went to MTV event' angle; it would cover a lot of bases. But who knows. We'll just have to see how it plays out.

12. RC Cola

RC Cola Member

Yeah, as I said, there's no denying that he's a "little" bias and tries to make everything sound positive towards Sony. I'd prefer it if the insiders were more unbiased, but it isn't like that is a rule for being an insider (might even keep you from being one).

I think you just have to find a way to sort through his opinions and find the facts...assuming that stuff is true of course. Then again, a lot of it is pretty subjective, so something like KZ matching its target video may seem true in his biased eyes, but in reality, the game may not look even close to what was shown at E3 2005 (it could be the best-looking game ever and still not come close to matching that video).

TGS can't come soon enough.

13. BigM

BigM Member

i have a 360 and i enjoy it immensely, but why did they stick with dvd's? for a high-definition system it seems like upgrading the disc would be a priority. if they are already running into issues with it, then it won't get any easier in the future.

14. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

the problem is that no one knows if BR or HD DVD will win the format wars. we all know that dvds are norm.

I only care about the quality of games. so far im pretty happy.

15. BigM

BigM Member

yeah i guess i understand basically why they went with dvd drives, (cheaper, established format) but strictly for gaming purposes it seems it'd be far more advantageous to have something like blu-ray or hd-dvd. can hd-dvd players also play standard dvd's? if so i think that would have been the way to go rather then this add-on they're coming out with. imo, first and foremost the 360 needs to be a high-definition gaming system, i could care less that it plays dvd's, i have a dvd player.

im happy with the current quality of games as well but it seems like there will a point in the future where the quality is forced to suffer because of the limited dvd space. we could see something where the game is great anyways, but it could be this much prettier/smoother if we had another 5 gbs to work with. if that sony fanboy is correct, this could already be happening.

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

Any relation to Dick "The Sony" Guy?

17. RC Cola

RC Cola Member

About the 360 not using BR or HD-DVD...

HD-DVD and BR weren't really ready when the 360 launched in 2005 (they're barely ready as it is now). HD-DVD (and BR) can play back DVDs. I think MS possibly should have waited another year or so if they could have (probably not due to the Xbox), or they should have used a proprietary technology that increased the capacity of DVD. For example, the DC basically uses CD IIRC, but instead of 600-700MB, it can store up to 1.2GB IIRC. I believe I read something about a DVD tech that upped storage to around 10-15GB...that might have worked out well. Maybe this won't turn out to be a problem though.

FWIW, Kaz Hirai said in a recent interview that "several" games were already at 20GB (guessing Resistance was one of them). That might support the "85% of games in development could not fit on DVD" comment that he made...although 85% is still a lot (especially since I'm guessing a lot of that includes multiplatform games being developed for the 360 and its DVD drive...though I guess those games could be like The Darkness, which is taking advantage of the space in the PS3 version).

18. UTweezer

UTweezer Member

at this point, im taking a wait and see attitude. Although, I don't think it'll live up to all the hype at least not initially...

People are gonna say, "is this it?"

"is this what i spent almost a grand on?"

This thing is gonna take 2 years to start rolling...

19. RC Cola

RC Cola Member

How is it almost a grand, when it is basically only $100 more than the 360? Or did people who bought the 360 also wonder why they spent almost a grand on it?

20. UTweezer

UTweezer Member

do the math. 599 + tax. Thats $648.42 @ 8.25% (depending where you live)

I'm sure people who buy this plan to play games on it.

$648.42 + $64.94 (1 game + 8.25% tax) = $713.36

Thats nearly a grand.

I'm sure it's gonna be hard to find ps3's at even $599 with all the eBayers out there.

#20 UTweezer, Aug 30, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2006