1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A 6 Year Old Shot His Teacher At School

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Reeko, Jan 7, 2023.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

A six-year-old child deliberately shot a teacher at an elementary school in Virginia on Friday afternoon, according to police.

Police said in a statement that they have arrested the boy accused of shooting a female teacher at Richneck elementary school in Newport News, Virginia, a city in the south-eastern part of the state.

Police said they were notified about 2pm that the teacher had been shot inside the school during an altercation of some kind.

“We did not have a situation where someone was going around the school shooting,” Newport News police chief Drew told reporters. “We have a situation in one particular location where a gunshot was fired.”

He added that the shooting was not an accident.

The student has since been taken into custody, and the teacher, a woman in her 30s, was taken to a local hospital to be treated for injuries that were “believed to be life-threatening”, according to the police department. Drew told reporters the teacher’s condition had improved somewhat by late afternoon.

He didn’t discuss any details about how the child is thought to have gotten the gun used in the shooting. But the chief told reportersthat officers had moved children on the campus to the school gymnasium, and they were “safe” there while officers processed evidence that was still on the scene of the shooting.

Drew also said that there were “plenty of counselors” working with the students in attempts to keep them calm.

“The number one priority … is to get all our students back with their parents,” he said.

A police statement said officers had implemented a system to reunite the students with their parents, dividing them by grade level.

“An officer and a school official are walking the student to their parents, so it’s a good happy reunion, a little bit of emotion, but everything right now is safe,” Drew said.

Friday’s shooting will almost certainly stoke debate about restricting public access to guns in the US, even after Congress passed a bill last year that tightened restrictions on access to firearms for some people who are considered to be at risk of carrying out violence.

High-profile instances of gun violence across the US last year included the killings of 10 at a grocery store in Buffalo, New York, and 21 at a school in Uvalde, Texas.

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jan/06/virginia-school-student-shot-teacher

FrontRunner likes this.
  2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I saw this story on another site. Horrible. They need to determine who actually owns that firearm and they need to be held accountable. Whether you believe that there is a right to private firearm ownership I would hope that everyone could agree that shouldn't include 6 year olds. I would say that the inability to properly store and secure your firearms from falling into the hands of a child should be grounds to disqualify owning firearms.

3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The only thing that will stop a bad toddler with a gun, is a good toddler with a gun.

calurker, Nook, Kim and 19 others like this.
  4. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As long as law enforcement ranks and leadership are dominated by ammosexuals, who will excuse any gun negligence as an acceptable consequence of “rights,” and who will avoid any arrest on the grounds that the adults “have suffered enough”, nothing will happen. This is all abetted by otherwise moderate and reasonable citizens who have made gun rights their sole voting issue and prefer the most incompetent, evil alternative to a politician who proposes gun regulation.

Nothing will change until people suffer directly for their unqualified support of unregulated guns and even then I’m not sure if that would work. Maybe change would happen if every wife withheld sex from their gun obsessed husband until they agreed to sane gun laws, but there are plenty of women now who worship guns as well.

It’s just so damn depressing.

5. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I agree it’s depressing but I think a situation like this many will be demanding action.

There is also a general problem with our society. So many people talk about rights but don’t talk so much about responsibilities. Rights cannot persist unless there is a responsibility and firearms demand the greatest responsibility.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This happened in Virginia
    @AroundTheWorld
    So woke people aren’t really going to care
    They only go crazy if it was in Texas
    Cause fat woke people hate Texas

7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

What do you do with the kid?

I have a 5 year old. I'd like to think he wouldn't shoot his teacher. If he did, I'd like to believe that he would still be capable of being taught how wrong that is in a way that doesn't ruin his life.

I normally do not feel this way about crime. What a terrible situation. Someone needs to be held accountable for allowing him access to a firearm.

8. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I don’t think jailing the child is going to help and I don’t think someone that young has much understanding of rightness or wrong ness. We don’t even know if the child understood whs they were doing was wrong or the consequences of it.

Accountability to me rest mostly on whoever allowed that child to get that weapon.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Children today are out of control.

JumpMan and ThatBoyNick like this.
  10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

What happened to the days of a whoopi cushion on the teacher's chair?

ROCKSS and Two Sandwiches like this.
  11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

A six-year-old child deliberately shot a teacher. He added that the shooting was not an accident.

Best case scenario: kid think shooting a teacher is the same as throwing a paper at them.

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Exactly my point, but the child also needs therapy/guidance.

13. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

If the teacher had been armed it would have definitely solved the matter safely.

This is definitely because of video games. Big tech strikes again! Damn you Roblox and your liberal disregard for our laws!

mdrowe00 likes this.
  14. Reeko

Reeko Member

the way it’s reported that this isn’t an accident and was deliberate makes it seem like this was done by an adult in a child’s body…like this is some real life Chucky sh*t

or some

[​IMG] [​IMG]

a 6 year old…sheesh

15. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

A six-year-old child deliberately shot a teacher. He added that the shooting was not an accident.

mdrowe00, Kim and jiggyfly like this.
  16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Crazy. I hope the teacher makes it.

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

What, they check and inspect elementary kids? Just wrong.

"It is unclear how the child - who remains in police custody - obtained the gun. Officials said that while the school - which has around 550 students - had metal detection facilities, students were checked at random and not every child was inspected.

SamFisher and Invisible Fan like this.
  19. CCorn

CCorn Member

The only way to stop a bad child with a gun is a good teacher with a gun.

mdrowe00 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think we really know what happened, yet. Had the teacher or student ever set foot in San Francisco? Were both of them holding hammers? Were the student and adult both in their underwear? Why wasn't the teacher's security team on hand?

Let's wait for more facts.