1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[99ers Only] Has there been a more unlikable Rockets team than this one?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MystikArkitect, Jan 7, 2023.

1. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

I just hope we don't look back on this rebuild down the line and realize they completely bombed with bad decisions on coaching and just as bad roster mgmt. One horrible decision could wreck years of high value picks pushing the rebuild back for who knows how long.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I'm excited about this team because of Sengun.

For me, it's Hakeem->Yao->Sengun.

Everything in between is noise and a distraction.

3. bmelo

bmelo Member

Healthy young Tmac was top10 athletic basketball players ever. Ariza just were good lol

jim1961 likes this.
  4. fattz

fattz Member

I just not buying into Porter. Green seems like an acquired taste,too. Martin and his Daddy are a bit much for my palate. I fell for Gordon being on this team going through all this because it’s his career that is winding down. He is always nice; now it’s to his detriment. The other draft picks seem likable.

beardsanity713 and dawesome like this.
  5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Thats quite obvious ....

6. riko

riko Member

The Walt Williams,Mobley, Francis garbage teams were bad. Mo Taylor being a chucker to boot as well.

Patience and jim1961 like this.
  7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

All this, plus I really hope we don't look back and see the guy we traded became a star and the guy we kept turned out average.

8. Entropy

Entropy Member

Francis era was the worst one before this. Interesting that our current iteration also has a selfish low-IQ streetball PG at it's helm.

Easy, ak99999 and Patience like this.
  9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

For me:
    Hakeem->Yao->Malone->Hayes->Sampson->Mutombo->Sengun

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

That roster at least had some vet presence. This one really doesn't do you can't really put the blame all on KPJ. More so on the management and coaching staff for using a novice pg who's primarily a scorer to run a offense while developing high level draft talent.

11. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

The big splash free agent signings: Shandon Anderson, Mo Taylor, and Kelvin Cato.

12. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

KPJ is basically Francis 2.0 with less charisma. That said, at least Steve Francis won 40-ish games every year. Although I like the individual talent of some of our current players better, this team is way worse in actual wins/losses.

Steve Francis was competitive and would have occasional 5-game wining streaks (often followed by 5-game losing streaks). Unfortunately that style of play had a hard ceiling of 45 wins a year.

Easy and Entropy like this.
  13. riko

riko Member

Kelvin came in the pippen trade from memory…Mo we signed him in free agency. Shandon was supposed to be the guy replacing Pippen but he was garbage from Utah. He was a pro typical system player in Utahs offense. Got exposed here with added responsibility.

Patience likes this.
  14. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

Have to disagree here.

The Lowry/Kmart/Battier/Scola teams under Rick Adelman were fun as hell. Especially the Lowry/Dragic backcourt with Courtney Lee on the wing. We also had Aaron Brooks who looked like a rising star before the ankle injury. Those teams were full of likeable players who gave hustle and effort every night — compared to today’s team full of selfish egocentric chuckers. I never dreaded watching those teams like I do with this one.

Yeah it was the mediocrity treadmill. But I never really felt hopeless about the future of the team because Daryl Morey was the GM. We had a solid team in the front office, and good organizations eventually prevail. We had all of our picks, and always maintained flexibility. The right opportunity came along (Harden), and the rest was history. I have ZERO confidence in Tilman/Stone.

#74 Mr Woods, Jan 7, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2023
    beardsanity713, joshuaao and Entropy like this.
  15. txtodd

txtodd Member

29-53 sounds pretty sporty right about now.

jim1961 likes this.
  16. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

If you think that, then You never watched Buck Johnson, Dirk Minnifield, Old ass Purvis Short, Winston Garland, Joe Barry Carroll (aka "Joe Barely Cares") or Derrick Chievous!!!

riko, Rocket River and pippendagimp like this.
  17. riko

riko Member

Anything is better two western conference finals, 8 straight playoffs appearances and finishing in the top 4 seed 5 of those 8 years and having arguably the team that should have beaten the most stacked team of all time in 2018.. Anything is better then a sustained period of success

Patience likes this.
  18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

there were decades where i never missed a game. i mean if i had to watch replay off a VHS tape, i was still watching every minute of every game

this season i've only been able to make through maybe 3 games in full. i keep falling asleep during all the rest of em

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I couldn't stand watching some of the Francis era. The early 80's had the worst teams imaginable, but the players were likable for the most part. Watching Westbrook play was painful. This team is nowhere near my most-unlikable. The problem with this team is the youth trying to figure out basketball is painful to watch at times. While the rebuild is painful to watch at times, it's what I expected, and probably will expect for another year or two... at the least... from the looks of it.

I've been through several seasons of terrible Rockets basketball where it felt a lot more hopeless than this team. This team actually has hope. Those teams were just spinning their wheels with no hope of talent or middle-of-the-road talent with no help from the lottery/1st round picks that were decent.

Patience and fchowd0311 like this.
  20. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Judging by the comments made so far, Stone isn't as great of a GM as most fans make him out to be.