1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[99ers Only] Has there been a more unlikable Rockets team than this one?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MystikArkitect, Jan 7, 2023.

1. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Oh ok I was so confused. Lol. And I totally agree with you about the promise of Green / Sengun / Jabari compared with that other list.

Eddie Griffin was a setback for the franchise. High lottery pick wasted. Imagine if we kept Richard Jefferson (and Jason Collins) on that 2000 Rockets squad that added Yao the next season.

Corrosion and fchowd0311 like this.
  2. topfive

topfive CF OG

ClutchFans: "Title contention is the only thing that matters!"

Also ClutchFans: "Anything is better than the Harden era."

o_O

3. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I don’t think Augustine would do anything for us. He was terrible in his last stent. Conley would be great and could start the next two years. I think there would be a pretty significant market for him if he was made available, so it would really come down to what we are willing to give up for him. I would do any or all of Tate, KJM, Gordon plus the 2024 Brooklyn pick if necessary. Milwaukee pick would be better just don’t think it would be enough. He is about the only one I can think of that wouldn’t screw up our cap space or cost something ridiculous.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  4. omgTHEpotential

I believe it's pretty common for the commentators of opposing teams to brief each other on their respective teams. So the 'always brings energy' is likely a line used by the Rockets commentators when informing the colleagues from the opposing side.

Mathloom likes this.
  5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

They actually gave up 3 picks for Griffin, I can't remember who the 3rd one was ..... but your point stands, the Griffin trade was a disaster for the team.

Patience likes this.
  6. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

3rd guy was a nobody. But the other two had long and productive careers. Two out of three is great for mid-late round picks!

7. Bo6

Bo6 Member

2019-2021 was pretty bad.

palmsnbananas and bmelo like this.
  8. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Loved Francis/Mobley but those teams weren’t good. And I’ll take this over the T-Mac/Yao era.

Horrible supporting cast, Yao breaking his foot every year, and getting clowned by Utah in the 1st round.

At least with this team we know what we are, and there’s the hope with better coaching and development, we can maximize what we already have. And then get our alpha-superstar in the draft this year with Wemby or Scoot.

Patience and Nook like this.
  9. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

There was that year when we hoped Ariza would turn into TMac because they had similar frames and were both athletic. The hopium and hype were real, especially after some good early games. Too bad it turned out Ariza couldn't dribble, create his own shot or create for his teammates ... like 10 games into the season.

10. fattz

fattz Member

It’s hard to compare this era because we have the privilege of hindsight with the past teams. I had buy in with every team in the past till last year. I know we are tanking so my expectations are low, very low. I still go to a few games a season; but this year was the first time I fell as thought I wasted my time/money while sitting in the parking lot after the game.

11. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

That's the only era I couldn't watch. A lot of people seem to remember that time fondly, I hated that they let Hakeem go anywhere else, I hated (still do) those uniforms and didn't get the appeal of Francis/Mobley.

Patience and Nook like this.
  12. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I have adapted the way I watch. You have to look for bright spots and embrace the losing. Lately the bright spots have been few and far between but we weren't going to compete this season anyway.

I think my least favorite era to watch was early 90s. My channel was halfway scrambled so actually utilized the radio quite often. I love rockets basketball

Williamson likes this.
  13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

That's the same. That whole time period between Yao/Tmac and Harden.

Nook likes this.
  14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

My post specifically said I became a Rockets fan in 1988.

Nook likes this.
  15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ya but then you get commentators like the Jax ones all agreeing that Green has a higher ceiling than Ja Morant.

Oh and that third quarter in the Garden really made the Celtics commentatos' eyes open.

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

For me the main problem is the coach and KPJ. Both could be fixed very quickly. Silas is just painful and there is zero accountability. KPJ is clearly very talented but he seems like a guy who will always have knucklehead tendencies no matter what.

Glad he got a second chance and turned his career around but there is absolutely no future with him here.

BamBam, Entropy and Nook like this.
  17. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Francis Mobley was very much like this. Guard dominated, lots of bad shots, etc. It was painful to watch.

Patience and Entropy like this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Likely talking about Kenyon Martin Jr or Eason.

19. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

My least favorite Rockets to watch were the Van Gundy era Rockets when we'd score like 50 points in a whole game. The period I hated the most though, was that period when we were between Yao and Harden. Just guaranteed 14th pick every year. No real defined road to a franchise altering player and the best thing you could hope for is an embarrassing first round exit in the playoffs because Luis Scola (no matter how much I loved him) was basically your best player. At least with this team I have hope that these guys can be special and I can look forward to draft day. I just didn't have that in those years.

I remember the year people were flipping out over Chandler Parsons rookie season and the PG play of Dragic. I couldn't even watch those games. I just couldn't find a way to give a **** because nobody on that team was ever going to be better than a fourth option on a championship contender. It might be the case with this team too, but at least I can delude myself otherwise with Jalen, Jabari and Sengun. All while dreaming of Wemby or Scoot and what they could be.

Rocket River and Easy like this.
  20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think the question of the OP is about the least likeable, not the least hopeful. There's a difference.

The 2008-09 teams was pretty hopeless when TMac was practically done and Yao following suit in the playoffs. But that team was one of my favorite since the championship years. I like them because the players are gritty, always play hard and unselfish. The core group of Yao, Battier, Scola, Artest, Landry, Brooks, Hayes, Mutombo are all very likeable guys.

The 1999-2000 team was probably my least favorite, even though the Francis-Mobley tandem was supposed to have a great hopeful future.

I never dislike players for lack of talent. I dislike players who are selfish, lazy, dumb, or having an inflated ego.

The current team is a bunch of clueless kids. This is a very rare situation. Very few teams in history had so many raw kids. These kids don't lack talent. They just don't have the right mindset. I think a lot of them are willing to work hard. They need direction.

It's kind of like if you asked me whether I liked a bunch of teenagers, my answer would be no. Teenagers are by nature unlikeable. But I don't fault them to be what they are because I was like them when I was their age. They need adult supervision. The problem is, the "adults" of this team don't seem to know what the heck they are doing.

Mr Woods and Entropy like this.