1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

99c Stores. What's a deal and what's a rip off?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by MrRolo, Sep 5, 2007.

Tags:
  1. MrRolo

MrRolo Contributing Member

There is a 99c store walking distance from where I live and I have been there two to three times a week. I started noticing that some things were cheaper in other stores such as Krogers :eek: The ironing starch was cheaper at Krogers for instance. So I was wondering if any of you knew what the excellent deals are (factoring in the quality of the product as well) and what are the products to avoid due to their availability at a cheaper price elsewhere.

I've been buying

Belts
    Neckties
    emergency black socks for work whenever i lose them
    the occasional frozen pizza
    detergent
    birthday gifts :D

What else is a must-by if its available at 99c stores??

2. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Body Wash and Shampoo are very cheap in comparison to regular stores. At a regular store it might be priced near $2.99 or above.

Hair gel and toothbrushes also come to mind.

3. scv_rockets

scv_rockets Member

Just a warning about dollar stores....
    There was a massive recall not too long ago with toothpastes that were sold at various Dollar discount stores across the country.

http://www.fda.gov/oc/opacom/hottopics/toothpaste.html

So, if you buy toothpastes and other hygienic products...I highly recommend checking out the link.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Cleaning supplies and candy

5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I didnt realize people actually go there.

6. First Lady

First Lady Member

I've bought plastic plates and forks there. Don't really trust any of their food.

7. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I usually buy as any of the resin figurines as I can carry.....I have a shrine at home.

8. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

envelopes and shipping products are cheaper. If you send CDs or books, you get bubbled envelopes in packs for a dollar, whereas regular shipping stores charge you a bunch. I sold some books online and sent them using the dollar store's envelopes... cheap. :cool:

9. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

cleaning supplies, plastic container stuff, school supplies and cheapo kid toys are the only things I really bother with when I go there.

10. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

They have really good bell peppers.

11. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

How come I'm still laughing at this?

12. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

The bell peppers there are seriously amazingly fresh and crisp. I think they come in a package with a green, red, and orange. Perfect for salads and stir fry.

13. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

ok maybe its just texas but i have yet to see a 99c store where i live/have lived that sold vegetables and perishable foods. its always in can, bottle or candy form.

but as for me plastic cutlery and candy pretty much sums my shopping list at these places.

oh and superballs just so i can bounce them down parking lot and see them bounce off of all the cars

14. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Because she still hasn't realized that they're plastic.

15. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

The 99 Cents Only store across from where I work has a freakin' dairy section. I've never bought food there, though. I don't trust it. And I don't buy cooking utensils either after going there one time and seeing a tag on a metal spatula that said something like, "This item does not meet the FDA minimum for lead content in a cooking supply."

16. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

The best deal i got was a cell phone charger... it lasted longer than my original one.

17. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

18. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i'm a regular. i buy everything except their vegetables. canned food, soda, tupperware, candy.

i don't think i've died once.

19. BrockStapper

BrockStapper Contributing Member

the only time I go is during Christmas. OK, Christmas Eve when I go to buy odd pieces of crap and anything disposable (ie, tape, wrapping paper, bows). I also buy my Christmas cards there, but for fun I buy the cards for other holidays and mark through the greetings and replace them with "Merry Christmas".

20. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

You have to be careful with some consumable products such as detergent. Many companies make containers specifically for dollar or big lot stores that have much less product in them despite the size of the box. So your price per ounce is about the same.