1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

93-94 Rockets Rated #12 All-time by C.R.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rivaldo2181, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

I don't know if this has been post yet or not but if it has shut it down. He compliments the Rockets by putting them on the list and then bashes them at the end. What an Idiot.

Here's the link: 93-94 Rockets

No. 12 1993-94 HOUSTON ROCKETS
    RECORD – 58-24, OFFENSE – 101.1 (13th), DEFENSE – 96.8 (5th)

The Rockets were essentially a one-man team, and Hakeem Olajuwon's talents covered every aspect of the game — 27.3 ppg (3rd); 11.9 R (4th); 3.71 BS (2nd); .528 FG% (10th); and he was also Houston's third-leading playmaker. A unique blend of strength and quickness, Olajuwon also had the heart of a lion. :) :)

Otis Thorpe manned the power-forward slot and averaged 14.0 points a game and 10.5 rebounds. Active and tough, Thorpe never took bad shots and always played hard.

Hakeem Olajuwon had all the right moves for the Rockets, who beat the Knicks in the 1994 NBA Finals. (Nathaniel S. Butler/NBAE via / Getty Images)

In those days, Robert Horry (9.9 ppg) was considered to be a softie who took too many 3s, and could be overwhelmed in the low post. Still, he was quick, smart, and a big-play guy.

Kenny Smith (11.6 ppg) was a clever passer and an outstanding long-ball shooter (.405 3-PT%). He had quick feet and quick hands. But it was his 3-balls that made opponents pay for double-teaming Olajuwon.

Vernon Maxwell (13.8 ppg) would rather shoot than pass or defend. Good shots, bad shots, they were all the same. He was a streak shooter who could shoot the Rockets into, and out of, any game.

The most important subs were Mario Elie (9.3 ppg) a solid defender, and improving 3-point shooter; and Sam Cassell (6.7 ppg) who couldn't defend, but could create his own shots.

This team could run and rebound, but depended more on finesse than on muscle. Also on the debit side of the ledger was the erratic play of Maxwell, Cassell's lack of defense, and the lack of frontline depth. There's no way this edition of the Houston Rockets could quick-and-slick their way to more than a modest share of wins against the NBA's upper-echelon teams. :mad: :mad: :mad:

That team could have beaten da Bulls...Did he ever watch Mad Max? Saying that he could NOT play D is a bunch of crap. He may not of put the effort every single night but he could play man up D.

#1 Rivaldo2181, Aug 21, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2005
  2. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

title should be #12 not #13..

3. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

Thanks dude. I fixed it.

4. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Um, maybe he means that this Rockets team couldn't win that many games against the greatest teams of all time, which this list is about. I'd agree on that front since I don't see how this Drexler-less gang could hold a candle to some of these other great teams of the past.

5. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

I disagree. Dream would have caused matchup problems with most of the championship centers of all time except maybe for Russell. It was Hakeem's ability to create mismatches that made the 93-94 Rox go. Kenny, Mario, Mad Max, and Horry were just able to swing the ball and make the open shot better than most teams since the 70-72 Knicks. On paper, the Rox would not match up well against many or most of the all time champions, but the way they played defense was just inspired and Hakeem's ability combined with the unselfishness of most of his teammates made for a potent combination that I think stacks up well against some of the best teams ever.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

Will he rank the 94-95 rockets too? Obviously the better team.

7. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Two comments

1 The remark that Max didn't play defense was just ignorant. It shows whoever wrote this knew nothing about the team. Elie didn't play defense like Max. Plus I don't remember Cassell's defense being worse than Kenny's. In fact, Kenny was the worst defender in the rotation. Someone tell me, who was it that overwhelmed Horry at the SF in the low post in 93-94? Memory fails me.

2 I loved that 93-94 team as much as anyone, but how can you say it's one of the all time great teams? We had only one Hall of Fame calibur player, Dream. We relied on exceptional chemistry and teamwork, not talent. Lastly, it took 7 games to beat that Knicks team. If the Knicks had won Game 7, would anyone here put them in the top 25 of NBA champions? If we had swept them, or at least dominated them 4-1, OK. Personally, I'm surprised to see us that high on the list.
    And to those who say we would have beaten the Bulls if MJ was there because of our success during the regular season against them, I disagree. Of all franchises, we should know how much regular season matchups are worthless in the playoffs. Hakeem would have dominated, but the Bulls team defense was their trademark, especially in causing turnovers which was our main achilles heel along with defensive rebounding. I wish MJ hadn't taken those seasons off because playing them in the Finals would have been sweet (if we won). If we were barely better than the Knicks in 94, I doubt we would have beaten the 93 Bulls. Just my humble opinion. No flaming please.

8. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

There's stacking up on paper, and then there's the fact that the 93-94 team was a good but not great champion. They blew those two games against Phoenix and were taken to 7 games by the Knicks. The determining factor was always the same, the defense would collapse on Hakeem, if the perimeter guys shot lights out, then they would win otherwise they would lose.

Now if we're talking about the 94-95 team, that's a different story. With Drexler the team was much more multifaceted on offense. Clyde tremendously helped the running game, and could get high percentage shots while slashing to the basket when Dream was getting too much attention.

9. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

This article has a bunch of crapola statements......

Horry was a beast in that playoff run......he was dunking on everyone and blocking shots too....

apostolic3 - I would have to disagree with you about the Bulls. I believe that we would have beaten the Bulls both years, we were just playing to good in those playoff runs. I would have been a great match up to watch. We also had a winning record against the Bulls and they had nobody to match up with our front court.

10. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

They had nothing to match us up front? Horace Grant was IMO better than OT and Pippen was way better than Horry.

11. Samar

Samar Contributing Member

hahah yeah its funny that people think that the mismatch that Hakeem would make is greater than the mismatch Rockets would have with Jordan and Pippen combined. Maybe if we only had to worry about one of them it would have been another story but lets face the facts. Jordan and Pippen would have destroyed anyone on our team. Hakeem can only do so much.

12. Manuel Romney

Manuel Romney Contributing Member

"Aside from Kevin McHale, Shaq has more moves at his disposal in the pivot than anyone else in the record book." :eek: :confused: :mad:

This Rosen guy is an idiot. No credibility whatsoever.