1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

9 Months Later: #14 Pick of 2011 NBA Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 19, 2012.

?

Who would have been the best choice with the 14th pick of the draft?

1. Marcus Morris (I'd still take him)

7.7%
  2. Kawhi Leonard

22.0%
  3. Nikola Vucevic

13.7%
  4. Iman Shumpert

3.0%
  5. Chris Singleton

0.5%
  6. Kenneth Faried

21.8%
  7. Marshon Brooks

30.2%
  8. Someone else

1.1%
  1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Clutch, this poll really isn't too fair to Marcus Morris.

It asks us to decide who we would select with the benefit of hindsight, but that hindsight is based on (a) Marcus Morris sitting behind the Rockets' depth (two deep at every position) and (b) those other players having been inserted as key members of their respective teams' rotations.

If any of the players above were drafted at #14 by the Rockets, NONE of them would have actually PLAYED (with the possible exception of Vucevic or maybe Leonard, if he beats out Parsons for the defender/fifth starter job).

Meanwhile, what if Morris WASN'T drafted by the Rockets? Would another team (with less depth) have made him an instant rotation player? Would Morris be putting up numbers right now on another team? We just don't know.

That said, I'll repeat my personal preference for the Rockets ON DRAFT NIGHT: Kawhi Leonard.

The "20/20 hindsight" argument is a fundamentally flawed and incomplete analysis, IMHO, since the "Morris on another team" factor is just so huge in the calculation.

2. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

MarShon Brooks. He’s still young and erratic, but has shown the potential to be a go-to scorer more than any of those other guys. That’s what Morris was supposed to bring to us, and that’s what the Rockets need more than anything to get out of mediocrity.

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

Still much too early to call, but out of that group I'm leaning toward...

...other. Donatas Motiejunas :cool:

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

This! While i think it's clear that there were a lot of other players worth taking at #14, I don't really think one shortened season, in which Morris played virtually the whole time in the D-league, is enough of a track-record to make a fair determination of player value. Morris was drafted to play out of position. I think it's clear that because of our depth at PF, we devoted this year to trying to develop his skills as a SF, with hope that he would progress quickly and contribute at some future date. The unexpected emergence of Parsons, as well as the glut at PF (Scola, Patterson, and Hill), is likely most responsible for the large amount of uncertainty with regard to what we have in Morris. He could still end up being the best player out of those mentioned.

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

And on draft night, nobody has played for an NBA team yet. Hard to pick then, huh?

This thread is a line in the sand -- if the pick was a mistake, say now who you think we should have taken. Who would you have picked with the power of 9 months of hindsight? In 2-5 years, when it's rather easy to say who we should have picked, these results may look radically different. And it's not like we haven't seen Marcus Morris play at all, which is why still sticking with that pick is an option.

6. Juck_The_Fazz

Juck_The_Fazz Member

i take young kobe with the ability to pass

7. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I voted Faried, but would love to have Vucevic, Leonard, or Brooks as well. Morris? Haven't given up on him, but not overly impressed either.

8. OremLK

OremLK Member

Also, all you guys who are voting for Brooks, you know he hasn't actually been near as good on average as he looked against us, right? That his best game of the year... he's had some real stinkers. A couple days ago he went 1 for 11 with 2 turnovers and 2 points in 25 minutes.

He has a Kobe Bryant playstyle, but so far is not showing anywhere near the ability level to support that kind of chucking.

9. Matthieu

Matthieu Member

i stick with Morris, give him 20min a game and we'll see ... he got the tools, all he needs is PT to develop and gain confidence

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Well... Im making my decision based on need. Id say Faried is the player I would like to have that makes the most sense now. Vucevic, while he is playing Center for the Sixers, on the Rockets, I dont think he wins playing time in all honesty.

The Sixers have such good perimeter defense, that it really allows them to play a more finese, young big in the middle. All those saying Vucevic, I understand what your saying, but as a guy that would actually be making an impact on the Rockets this year... is Faried IMO.

The nice thing that Rockets fans should consider is that Marcus Morris, even in small PT, has shown that he is going to at least be a good player. He hasn't had explosive games, but he's done enough to show me, that teams will want this guy in a trade while he's on his rookie deal. If they want to move him, they will be able to fairly easily. He's going to be good, and he's not a "Thabeet-like" bust. He's good, he's just buried on the bench.

11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I voted Faried, but I have to admit, I was really tempted to say Brooks, because he still has the best chance of being a real impact player in the NBA.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Vucevic and the Faried

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I picked Leonard because the Spurs usually draft very well.

14. Painting_Shade

Painting_Shade Contributing Member

marshon isn't that good people... he's just a scorer.

vucevic for real.

or faried.

but vucevic for the rockets.

#34 Painting_Shade, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

16. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Marshon the guy will be a BIG TIME player

17. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Brooks certainly has flashes of excellence, but overall I think people are putting too much weight on the game he had against the Rockets. To be honest, I would much rather have Shumpert than Brooks. He's a smaller & much smarter TWill.

However, based on the current Rockets roster, I would pick, and wanted the Rockets to pick, Leonard. A combo of him & Parsons at the 3 spot would stifle other teams. We've shown that you can teach offense, but you can't teach smarts and lateral quickness.

18. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Checked Faried's stats, and he probably should even be the top pick!

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

How many guys have sat as much as Marcus has his rookie year and became even a starter later on?

I mean it does not bode well that the guy taken in the lottery can't beat out two 2nd round picks.

I know Cxbby predicted he would be the next Melo, but now people are starting to understand why some of us never wanted Melo to begin with, it would be great to have a post up SF, occassionally, but not as a main threat from your offense.

Personally, I would like to see him at the PF position too to see if his post moves would benefit us.

DD

20. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Kenneth Faried

He's got that fire in him, I like dat