1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

9-Hour Layover in Toronto

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JuanValdez, May 27, 2009.

1. s land balla

s land balla Member

I spent a good part of my life from July 2008 - February 2009 at Pearson airport in Toronto while traveling for work. I've been to both international terminals many times, and they both suck. The only good terminal is the domestic (Canada) terminal. Since Pearson is way out in Mississauga, there is a flat rate charge of $60 CAD each way from the airport to downtown Toronto (there is no train that connects the two).

The wifi in the airport (through Boingo) is also pretty bad, I remember paying the $8 or whatever it was a couple of times, and it was always really slow.

For being such an international city, I was surpised by how terrible the airport was compared to US airport standards (i.e. the onyl food option in one of the terminals is a TGI Friday's).

I'd recommend hitting up Tim Horton's (coffee), order a double-double (2 creams/two sugars), and watching DVDs on a laptop.

2. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Member

wow, that is a f'n long time...if money is no object, take a cab & do something, but the kids may get fussy...otherwise, psp and ipod...

3. s land balla

s land balla Member

I have a 12 hour layover at Heathrow (London) next month en route to Cairo. Will definitely be leaving the airport.

Another option for her is renting a car for the day (will be cheaper than a cab from/to the airport). The kids would love the CN Tower observation deck.

4. emjohn

emjohn Member

I've been through that airport a couple of times. It's nice but small, and not the mega-mall that so many airports have become.

Agreed that sightseeing is out of the question - it's too far out (akin to IAH) and the traffic in/out of Toronto can get BAD.

I hate to say this, but it'll probably just suck. 9 hrs is a long time to be at an airport.

5. juicystream

juicystream Member

I know that pain all to well. We were there for days because we were flying standby. I opened a naughty mag in one of the newstands, and shot some pool in the game room. I also walked the airport numerous times. Freaked my mom out because I had dissappeared in the Denver Airport. I got a call over the intercom asking me to come to the security desk. She was upset with me to say the least. :eek:

6. rubytuesday

rubytuesday Member

this is probably wise to do. you never know if they can help you out or not but it's worth a shot.

7. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Member

Good idea. I would definitely look into this. 9 hours is mighty long.

I myself have spent close to 8 hours a piece at the Dubai airport and Heathrow. Didn't wanna get out at either. Just saw a bunch of movies on my laptop.

Once spent 6-7 hours at the Zurich airport and wanted to get out, but it was freakin cold and I was in shorts. The cheapest jacket I could find at the airport was like $200 so I just stayed inside.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

I like the car rental and the hotel room ideas.

9. droxford

droxford Member

I'm surprised we don't have any board members in Toronto who would offer for her to hang out at their place.

10. s land balla

s land balla Member

If she's craving Indian food, the airport is close (cheap cab right) to the city of Brampton, AKA Bramladesh.

11. SWTsig

SWTsig Member

if i had a 9hr layover and leaving the airport premises was pretty much out of the question i would get ****ty, and i mean very ****ty, at the bar.

that's what they're there for.

12. Mrs. Valdez

Mrs. Valdez Member

You may want to be careful about that one. Heathrow apparently has a policy (as many other airports may as well) that if you leave the airport on a layover they have to take your luggage off the connecting flight even if you return. Perhaps if you return soon enough and alert them to the fact you won't have a problem.

13. s land balla

s land balla Member

How would they know if I left the airport?

14. Mrs. Valdez

Mrs. Valdez Member

Thanks for all the suggestions! Asking a number of other moms resulted primarily in ways to entertain the girls (pipe cleaners, color wonder books, etc.) I appreciate a lot of these ideas and I'll ask JV to let you know how it went.

BTW - I'm not crazy for not wanting to check luggage! I can't imagine what a hassle it would be drag large suitcases along with two kiddos to get to the train station. As Rick Steves pointed out, you never meet travelers who say that every time they travel they try to bring a little more with them.

15. Mrs. Valdez

Mrs. Valdez Member

You are going to have to check out through customs. Depending on your nationality, you may need a visa to do it.

16. s land balla

s land balla Member

Oh yeah, forgot about that. I'll only have a carry-on bag, so it shouldn't be a problem, right?

17. Mrs. Valdez

Mrs. Valdez Member

Yes, that should help a lot. - Yet another reason to travel light :)

18. s land balla

s land balla Member

I just looked at my upcoming trip itinerary to Cairo and noticed that I have a 6 hour layover in Rome. Is there anything worth checking out close to the Rome airport? I've been to Rome before, but not to the airport.

19. Grizzled

Grizzled Member

20. Mrs. Valdez

Mrs. Valdez Member

Grizzled, since you're already in Canada, maybe you can swing by the airport and visit with her. She still has 4 more hours to go there. ;)

1 person likes this.