1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

9 games left. Why are we playing vets at all?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by futilman, Mar 26, 2022.

?

Are you down to start Nix, Green, Tate, Garuba, Sengun for the remainder of the year?

1. Yes, let’s play our unproven guys and see what we have

92.5%
  2. No, continue to play vets over youth

7.5%
  1. futilman

futilman Member

We have played this season as if our coaching and management team is paid based on wins. Is there something like that going on? Or perhaps overt tanking sends a bad message to the young guys that they aren’t good enough and we need a top pick? Someone help me understand because playing Gordon, Schroeder, and even Wood at this point of the season seems unforgivably incompetent.

I want a top pick badly, but if we go 9-0 with starting lineups of Nix, Green, Tate, Garuba, and Sengun, I will be thrilled. At least we learn something in that scenario and have years to look forward to.

I cannot think of a single reason to play EG right now. JC should get all his minutes. Garuba was a 1st who hasn’t played AT ALL. He should get all Woods minutes and Sengun should be getting 35+. Even Nix should start IMO but at least get 20 mpg.

Look at the all-time terrible rosters OKC and ORL have put out recently. Or what POR put against us last night. Wtf are we doing?

2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

3. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Agreed, they had no issue benching Wall all season so they could evaluate the youth why hesitate to bench Gordon and the rest of the vets for the last 9 games?

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Silas is afraid of having the convo to Wood, Schroeder, and Gordon that he is benching them. Silas is weak and a pushover.

5. xaos

xaos Member

It really is a no brainer.

6. Mattician

Mattician Member

A top 5 pick will have a bigger impact on the Rocket's future than any meaningless wins the Rockets get with so few games left.

LOSE OUT and secure a top 5 pick. You can't depend on or expect the Magic, Pistons, and Thunder to win games. The Rockets control their own destiny.

Do Stone and/or Fertitta not see it this way?

#6 Mattician, Mar 26, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2022
  7. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

I don't think anyone understands. This team is built to win. They haven't been tanking at all. Tillboy and Co. are simply so monstrously incompetent that their attempts at winning has them at 19 wins with 9 games to go.

Trust me, we will finish with 24 wins and get the 10th pick.

We'll do the same thing next year to ensure we give our pick to OKC.

8. jacoby

jacoby Member

I've been screaming this from the rooftops for two weeks now.

Although I would play Schroder. It doesn't feel right to strip the minutes from a rotation-worthy player in a contract year. Besides him, all the other vets should be benched.

javal_lon likes this.
  9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

My vote was a joke but maybe they reward practice results from PT.

Pissing off vets prob doesn't help the free agent side of things. Vets not locked in on a long term contract want to pad their minutes and stats.ofc, Houston's rep is dogshit, so that's prob not it

It's political but that's the only way it makes any sense.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

A lot of KMJ hate in here.

11. i3artow i3aller

12. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I can’t make any sense at all of Garuba getting no minutes last night. Is he a bust? Maybe. But how in the hell can you possibly know if the dude doesn’t get minutes in what was basically a blowout? This team. So ****ing frustrating!

13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Right. Garuba should be playing 20 plus. Green and Nix should be in the backcourt together for something more than zero minutes. Mix some **** up and see if you can learn something else from the rest of the season. Or just keep sending Green into the corner and have Wood waive off guards to dribble into nothing. The incompetence of the decision makers is maddening.

clos4life and BHannes2BHonest like this.
  14. Reeko

Reeko Member

vets need development too

stop questioning the coaching staff all the damn time and let them cook…my goodness

Tuckankhamun likes this.
  15. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I have no idea other than the Rooks would win too many
    games off hustle and exhilaration. Vets will reel them in
    to lose.

16. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

There is no way this team can be that clueless. You have already sunk the season, losing out on a top 3 pick is blowing hundreds of millions of value from the team over 9 games. This team has some pieces on it already, and you risk them maturing next year and getting you to a point where you are stuck in 12-15th pick hell. Silas already needs to be removed, but in a scenario you lose out on a top 3, he needs to shunned from the NBA permanently.

clos4life, Wulaw Horn and Jontro like this.
  17. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

Pre-emptive lux tax savings, draft 11th every year so you don't have to pay any top of the line rookies.

AroundTheWorld and Jontro like this.
  18. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought Garuba was still injured. Aside from that, I am 100% on your side. Gordon should not see the floor anymore. Wood shouldn't either, unless it
    is to experiment more with him and Sengun on the floor at the same time. And KPJ should be limited to stretches at the SF position to see how the team fares in that 3 guard lineup (though I would actually prefer to just see more of KJM).

If you are going to play them, at least have a purpose behind it other than winning games. When people say "how can you ask for Silas to be fired when the goal is to lose?" this is the type of stuff you look at. If he is your coach going into next year, he is gaining no additional knowledge about what works, what doesn't, and why. He could be killing two birds with one stone by evaluating combinations and matchups while losing inconsequential games in the process. While you want the nice guy to succeed, he comes across as extremely dumb.

Y2JT, BigM and aaquaa like this.
  19. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I'd like to keep this streak going. @Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum likes this.
  20. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Because Rockets front office is headless chicken.

They don’t know what the team play for.

clos4life likes this.