1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

9/11 suspects will be tried in NYC

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by BetterThanEver, Nov 14, 2009.

1. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I understand the concept of being tried for your crimes in the same city that the offense was created, but it's going to be a security nightmare.

I am sure there is at least one NY resident who wouldn't mind blowing up the courthouse to get revenge on the 9/11 attackers, even if it means injuring innocents.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091114/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/us_guantanamo_us_trial

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

:confused:

Why is it a security nightmare? That's the kind of thing that p***y-ass red state congressional republicans say to scare people.

This is NYC. We've tried WTC bombers here before, Ramzi Ahmed Yousef and Omar Abdul Rahmen, among others, were tried at Foley Square, just like any other criminal in S.D.N.Y. This is nothing new, we are more than capable of handling this situation. If you think it's easy busting somebody out of the MCC you should try it sometime.

3. BetterThanEver

After last year's courthouse bombing in CA, I have lost confidence in federal courthouse security, especially in a crowded city like NYC.

4. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

"We" are more than capable of handling this situation? What is your role in this, Samf?

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I sure hope you've never talked about soldiers in Iraq/Afghanistan being able to win the war using the term "we."

We are winning in Iraq?

I'm sure you've said that somewhere.

6. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

bighyprocrite

7. SamFisher

How many bombings during the first WTC terrorist trials?

As a member of the bar of United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, I stand ready to assist the District in its work whenever the call shall be issued, to honor the oath I have sworn.

I trained very heavily this morning at the gym, hence my early rising/posting.

8. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The "message" should be to minimize the "terror" of terrorism; that all the "Death To America" rhetoric and covert planning still just adds up to just another prosecutable crime. You want to marginalize the perpetrators and make them seem less powerful after the fact since the galvanizing of American resolve has already been milked of all it's benefits. (and wasted?)

The heroes of the Islamic extremist are now just criminals in the same straits as any other murders.

9. SamFisher

Exactly. Like Ramzi Yousef, they'll be wearing orange jumpsuits and living in the ****hole that is the MCC like John Gotti, Bernie Madoff, and thousands before them.

10. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

11. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I think the Department of Homeland Security has come a long way since 1963.

1 person likes this.
  12. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

it's about time. the families can attend the trials...

13. BetterThanEver

No bombs, but there was that major plane crash back in September, 8 years ago.

14. BetterThanEver

I forgot that somebody was able to set off a bomb in Time Square in front of the Armed Forces career center, last year.

It doesn't inspire confidence in security, when people are able to set off bombs in Time Square.

15. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Yeah, what p*****s.

Lets try them and punish them. I suspect strongly they will be executed. Should have been done about 7 years ago. Bush and gang never wanted to do it. They always wanted a festering wound so they could use it politically. What a disgrace for them to do so.

1 person likes this.
  16. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

i would consider NYC and DC the most prepared and the most secure for any type of trial of this magnitude.

the Times Square bombing was an isolated incident in the middle of the night by a bicyclist.

1 person likes this.
  17. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

As long as there is freedom from unwarranted search and seizure, you will have folks who can manipulate the system to unscrupulous goals. Its just one of the inherent issues a free society has to deal with. You could think a person's jacket doesnt look quite right, and open it up to reveal a bomb, disarm it, and try them in a court. You will lose for not having a warrant or probable cause to search them. You would just have your "gut" feeling that something did not look right about the person's jacket.

18. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[rquoter]
    As Ronald Dworkin has argued, what it meant to take rights seriously is that one will honor them even when there is significant social cost in doing so. If protecting freedom of speech, the rights of criminal defendants, or any other parts of the Bill of Rights were always (or even most of the time) clearly costless to the society as a whole, it would truly be impossible to understand why they would be as controversial as they are.

[/rquoter]

source

19. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

security is a non-issue, frankly (and i'm not sure if by "security" folx are worried about KSM's security or NYC's).

my concern is about the trial itself. much of the evidence, which the defense will argue was coerced, will likely be inadmissible. has Obama thought about an exit strategy? what happens if KSM is acquitted? stranger things have happened (OJ). is Obama actually contemplating letting him go?

New York can handle KSM. what we can't handle is a holier-than-thou presidebt, who has let his own naivete Trump (something we understand well in NY) reason, and ultimately justice, unless of course, you're inclined to believe that a free KSM serves the "most exacting demands" thereof.

20. BetterThanEver

If the evidence is thrown out for coercion and these guys are ruled not guilty, there will be a 2nd security concern.

There could be race riots like Los Angeles after Rodney King. Anybody that looks middle eastern even if they aren't muslim would have to worry about mob violence.