1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

81st Academy Awards

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lil Pun, Jan 22, 2009.

1. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Except that the racists, in general weren't people who called folks the N word and said everyone of a certain race deserved to die. It was more subtle than the standard hollywood racism is bad movie.

Characters who looked to be the most racist still performed heroic acts saving people of another race, even though they were clearly racist. Other characters who decried racist and did good things had racist undercurrents which came out in the films most tangible acts of racism.

The racism came from different races with different levels of overtness, and subtleties.

I don't believe I've seen many if any hollywood films portray racism in such nuanced fashion before.

2. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Member

i am glad kate winslet won i havent seen 'the reader' but the other movies i have seen her in she was always acted well.

i still believe that heath ledger should have been up for best actor and not best supporting actor. I have a hard time believing that the Joker was a supporting actor in that movie. Ledger and Bale's characters were both leads. But I understand why it would be difficult to place him in the best actor category.

I havent seen Milk so I cannot comment on Penn's performance, but I have seen the wrestler and Rourke was simply amazing in that film. I have a hard time believing that Penn's performance was better than Rourke's. I am glad to see that Penn acknowledge Rourke in his acceptance speech.

I am fine with Slumdog winning I thought it was a great movie I really hope though the hype that it has created for itself doesnt tarnish what a great movie it was.

3. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Member

Actually, she is 75. I guess plastic surgery can't prevent old age.

4. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Contributing Member

No, not really. I was a sequence of events and the ending of the movie shows that racials tensions are basically like the circle of life, it was starting all over again. A neverending cycle of racial circumstances that the world finds itself in.

5. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Contributing Member

Well said, I'm hainvg trouble expressing what you just said, but that pretty much sums it up for me. I thought Crash was genius.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

The racism may have been nuanced, but the movie had the subtlety of a sledgehammer.

7. Astro101

Astro101 Member

In Crash, wasn't the Hispanic the only one that didn't do anything wrong?

8. Oski2005

Oski2005 Member

Subtlety of a sledgehammer, that's the line I was looking for. Well said.

9. rubytuesday

rubytuesday Member

i think hugh jackman is VERY good looking so i enjoyed his hosting abilities. he can sing and perform live so that helps as a host. i thought he did a great job.

10. Surfguy

Surfguy Member

Yea, Hugh Jackman was good. He was entertaining for sure. But, it obviously wasn't the same as having a comedian-type hosting. I kind of missed people ripping on actors in the crowd with jokes. Like that time Sean Penn got upset because Jude Law was being picked on. That was memorable. The only real laughs I got out of the evening were from Ben Stiller's impersonation of Joaquin Phoenix. Otherwise, it was just entertaining...more of a smile on my face during the opening bits...versus laughing. Hugh Jackman is definitely multi-talented. I would like to see him host again.

11. rage

rage Member

This is exactly why I liked Jackman more. I don't like the crude humor those comedian-hosts pulled sometimes. I don't understand why the actors (the Academy org) hired all those comedians to come in and make fun of them either.

12. vstexas09

vstexas09 Member

hey do u guys think that the oscars come out on dvd??

13. sammy

sammy Member

Same here. The Reader was almost there but should not have been nominated. The Dark Knight was much more entertaining.

They got it right though - Slumdog was the best movie

14. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I agree with this. That was the point of the whole movie. It wasn't really a plot/story based film. It was a message based situational film.

15. Mr. Brightside

Why the heck would you want the Oscar's on dvd? Its a pretty lame concept/idea. But yea, you can download the whole show off the torrents usually.

16. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Member

If your name is vtexas09 and slumdog millionaire is the best thing that has happened to you.

17. Mr. Brightside

lol.

No offense to vtexas09, but if he didn't have money (via those European betting sites) on Slumdog winning the Oscar's, I might seriously consider him to be the biggest idiot on this board.