1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

81st Academy Awards

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lil Pun, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

Nominations are out and "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" leads the way with 13 nods.

Complete list: http://www.oscar.com/

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28790972/?GT1=43001

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. - The romantic fantasy “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” led Academy Awards contenders Thursday with 13 nominations, among them best picture and acting honors for Brad Pitt and Taraji P. Henson and a directing slot for David Fincher.

Other best-picture nominees are “Frost/Nixon,” “Milk,” “The Reader” and “Slumdog Millionaire.”

Heath Ledger had a supporting-actor nomination for “The Dark Knight,” but the Batman blockbuster was shut out for other top categories such as best picture and director.

“Slumdog Millionaire” lived up to its rags-to-riches theme, coming in second with 10 nominations, including a directing spot for Danny Boyle and two of the three song slots.

Real-life couple Pitt and Angelina Jolie both will be going to the Oscars as nominees. Jolie had a best-actress nomination for the missing-child drama “Changeling.”

Kate Winslet won two Golden Globes, best dramatic actress for “Revolutionary Road” and supporting actress for “The Reader.” But she was nominated for lead actress at the Oscars for “The Reader” and shut out for “Revolutionary Road.”

Other best-actress nominees were Anne Hathaway, “Rachel Getting Married”; Melissa Leo, “Frozen River”; and Meryl Streep, “Doubt.”

Joining Pitt in the best-actor category were Richard Jenkins, “The Visitor”; Frank Langella, “Frost/Nixon”; Sean Penn, “Milk”; and Mickey Rourke, “The Wrestler.”

The 81st Oscars will be presented Feb. 22 in a ceremony airing on ABC from Hollywood's Kodak Theatre.

This year's Oscars already present a departure from previous shows. Rather than a comedian, such as past hosts Billy Crystal, Chris Rock or Jon Stewart, the emcee this time is Hugh Jackman, star of the "X-Men" flicks and a Tony Award winner for best actor in a musical.

2. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Mickey Rourke should win, but probably wont.

3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

I feel another ratings drop coming on although many people may watch just to see if Heath wins.

4. Oski2005

Oski2005 Member

Benjamin Button can't win, it already won in 1994 when it was called Forrest Gump.

<object width="640" height="450" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://player.ordienetworks.com/flash/fodplayer.swf" /><param name="flashvars" value="key=1d76506803" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><embed width="640" height="450" flashvars="key=1d76506803" allowfullscreen="true" quality="high" src="http://player.ordienetworks.com/flash/fodplayer.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed></object><div style="text-align:center;width:640px;"><a href="http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/1d76506803/the-curious-case-of-forrest-gump-from-fgump44" title="from FGump44">The Curious Case of Forrest Gump</a> - watch more <a href="http://www.funnyordie.com/" title="on Funny or Die">funny videos</a></div>

Benjamin Button and Slumdog are overrated. The Reader I haven't seen but I assume it's a pretty shameless Oscar grab type picture.

I can't believe Springsteen's song which won the Golden Globe didn't even get nominated so that they could put 2 songs from Slumdog up there, this crap is ridiculous.

5. Happy Mac

Happy Mac Member

have the visitor sitting at home...will have to watch that soon.

6. the futants

the futants Member

I thought En Bruges was a great movie. It's nominated for "Writing - Original Screenplay."

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

that black woman in Doubt was in the movie for literally 1 scene lasting no more that 5 minutes, how the hell did she get a nomination?

8. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

Maybe the same way Ruby Dee was nominated for "American Gangster" last year even though she was on screen for like 5 minutes total and 3-4 scenes.

9. Happy Mac

Happy Mac Member

eastwood should've been nominated for gran torino.

10. ClutchCityReturns

I can't speak on the merits of the movie or Eastwood's performance, but it wasn't in theaters at all until mid-December and wasn't released wide until January 9th, 2009. It could have been the greatest movie ever and the greatest performance ever and it might still have not made the cut for 2008.

11. Happy Mac

Happy Mac Member

that's how these movies are released a lot of the times. the wrestler wasn't released here until last friday.

12. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Member

Cate Blanchet was the best actor/actress in Benjamin Button and is nowhere to be found?

13. rhino17

rhino17 Member

yeah, I guess, but this woman was in even less scenes that Ruby Dee was in American Gangster. She came into the school and had one conversation with Meryl Streep, that was literally it.

14. SpiffyRifi

SpiffyRifi Member

The Reader was a terrible terrible movie - even the critics weren't wild about it (it's only at 60% on rotten tomatoes) and what made the movie terrible was the horrible directing. Some decisions in the movie was just awful ones - the fact that it (and Stephen Daldry) got in over Dark Knight (and Christopher Nolan) is a travesty.

As for Clint not getting nominated, its sad (as he's running out of chances), but if you saw Richard Jenkins in the visitor - its understandable, that movie was just solid and he was great in it. Doesn't matter though - no one is beating Rourke (and no one should, he was amazing in the Wrestler).

While I think Viola Davis' performance was overrated in Doubt (as was EVERYONE'S performance in Doubt) - you can't fault them for nominating her because she was only in one scene. Judy Dench WON being in only one scene in Elizabeth! (but again, I don't think it matters - Marisa Tomei should win).

As for Cate Blanchet not getting nominated - good. Benjamin Button was overrated and too long, let's be honest Brad shouldn't have been nominated. The special effects and make up did all the acting for him - all he did was manage to not mess it up.

I wonder why they brought the songs down to 3 nominations - I can't argue with the 3 though. The music in Slumdog Millionare was just good, regardless of what language it was in.

15. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Just saw it and I certainly agree. He was fantastic!

16. dookiester

dookiester Member

noms for oscar-bait movies that couldn't even crack 80% on rottentomatoes (benjamin button, the reader) are a joke. the benjamin gump video is hilarious and sad at the same time.

17. ClutchCityReturns

You know, you're 100% right. I stand corrected and considering the acclaim it's received, I too wonder why Gran Torino missed the cut. :confused:

18. percicles

percicles Member

Che was f-cking robbed!!!!!!! Zero nominations.

Wall*e was the best picture of the year and it got relgated to the Animated section. Sad!!!!

19. cwebbster

cwebbster Member

I cannot believe Dark Knight was not nominated for Best Picture.....it basically was The Departed with superheros.

Slumdog was great. I cannot agree with the overated tag that people here are giving it. I absolutely loved that movie.

Benjamin Button was extremely boring and drab. I didnt think it was good at all.

20. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

It received an Original Screenplay nomination.