1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

8-man rotation? 9-man rotation? 10-man rotation? Predict the minutes distribution

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cdrive, Jul 20, 2015.

1. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

[​IMG]

48 uninterrupted minutes of always having Lawson or Harden on the floor
    48 uninterrupted minutes of always having Howard or Capela rim protecting
    48 uninterrupted minutes of always having either Harden or Howard on the floor

Sort of goes off how how some of our guys, like Harden, sub in&out.

It's hard to show in this chart form, but Ariza & Brew I think will steal a few mor minutes from Thornton.

2. cheeno

cheeno Contributing Member

none of yall will ever play KJ McDaniels????

3. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

There will be injuries. There always are

4. OpenLayup-Why3?

PF minutes is not realistic. As I stated on 2nd page, starter and backup position never share same minutes, even if both players are equal. You don't see one guy playing first 6 and other last 6 minutes of EVERY quarter. 6 minutes is too short of a stint to get into rhythm that's why it's always 8 -10 mins for starter.

5. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

I heard you that 1st post. But
    #1: Main purpose was to figure out if Mchale would expand to a 10-man rotation, and at least get away from 8.
    #2) I agree it's unrealistic for a starter and backup to have equal minutes, but it's completely up in the air whether D-Mo or TJ will start. Neither of the 2 have a sealed deal. TJ was the 3rd best guy on the team in training camp/preseason/and very early season last year.
    #3) Just like I said it's hard to show Ariza & Brew stealing minutes from Thornton in this chart form, which I think will happen, I expect D-Mo to glean extra minutes at the 5 spot.

EDIT- - adding to that rhythm thing: Starters like Harden, yes 8 minutes. You'll see lots of 8 minute runs. But starters like D-Mo, look back at how D-Mo would play about 5 minutes to start the game, get subbed out by Tarik for a few minutes, then come back in to play out the last 4 1/2 ish minutes for Howard.

#65 cdrive, Jul 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  6. rockets13champs

Theres no dwight opening night

7. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

The person who might be our 11th best player is coming off a 4 year 33 million contract.

8. do work son

do work son Member

cut down minutes for howard, dmo and jones, and some of ariza's minutes at the 4, and mcdaniels should get minutes.

otherwise, i like the idea here.

9. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

10-11-12 man rotation for the regular season. Playoffs are 8-9, plus any issues with matchups or foul trouble.

Harden has averaged 38, 38, and 37 minutes per game the last three seasons. I don't really care what the rotation is as long as we win and Harden is under 34 minutes. That saves him the equivalent of 9-10 games over the course of the season.

10. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

I think Capela may find more minutes because Howard will get "hurt" again and miss some games.

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I don't think we are going to be seeing any 11-man rotations. But I think the rotations will be influx all year as the team makes tweaks.

I am not going to post a rotation right now but a couple of things I think will happen.

1) I think Marcus Thornton will get more minutes than we expect him to.

2) I think Capella will get less minutes than we expect him to.

3) I think we will see more "small ball" PF rotations with Ariza.

12. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I'd say a 9 man rotation for the regular season. 10 maybe against lesser teams.

Lawson/Beverley
    Harden/Brewer
    Ariza/Brewer
    DMo/Jones
    Howard/Capela

If struggling offensively throw in Thornton. If big guy killing us throw in Hayes.

In the playoffs, we might be deep enough to go 9.