1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

8-man rotation? 9-man rotation? 10-man rotation? Predict the minutes distribution

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cdrive, Jul 20, 2015.

1. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

McHale needs to just use our bench.. 9 players easily. Maybe even 10, depending on matchups

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It's nice to dream of a 10-man rotation that keeps the minutes down for Harden and Howard, but I doubt it happens. So, here's my 8-man instead:

Lawson (35) / Beverley (13)
    Harden (38) / Beverley (10)
    Ariza (38) / Brewer (10)
    Motiejunas (22) / Jones (32)
    Howard (34) / Motiejunas (14)

Lawson 35
    Harden 38
    Ariza 38
    Motiejunas 36
    Howard 34
    Beverley 23
    Brewer 10
    Jones 32

And then there'd be situational minutes for Capela and Thornton. You could go also give some or all of Beverley's SG minutes to Brewer instead, but I like the idea of playing Beverley as the offguard alongside Lawson where he can take the tougher backcourt defensive assignment.

3. FoOLiSh_AzN

FoOLiSh_AzN Member

Rockets with this depth should limit/monitor some of their core players minutes. Maybe even sit some guys out on back-to-back games. Also this will give a chance for the youngsters to get some minutes and showcase their talent.

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

harden, howard, and ariza's minutes are coming down this year.

dwight (30) - capela (18)
    jones (24) - dmo (24)
    ariza (32) - brew (22)
    harden (32) - thornton (6)
    lawson (30) - pat (22)

i think a tighter rotation in the playoffs will look like:

dwight (36) - capela (12)
    jones (24) - dmo (24)
    ariza (38) - brew (20)
    harden (38)
    lawson (30) - pat (18)

5. frontline94

frontline94 Member

basically, howard and harden will get consistently more rest and either Lawson or Harden will always be on the court

end of an excellent story

6. gogispade

gogispade Member

DUI 30 \ Pat 18
    Beard 38 \ 10 Brew
    Ariza 48 :D
    Dmo 28 \ TJ 20 \
    Dwight 30 \ Capela 11,3 \ Dmo 6,7

7. Play07

Play07 Member

Mchale has went with smaller rotations because of lack of shooting with our bigs, not because he likes to that or history.

It just opens things up with spacing for harden to drive & and having 4 shooters on floor is better for the offense we run for change of pace when needed

he's been doing this since Our last shooting big was here (PPAT). Moving delfino, casspi, now Ariza Down to PF.

8. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

9-10 men rotation for regular season

C - Howard (33), DMo (10), Capela (5)
    PF - TJones (30), DMo (18)
    SF - Ariza (33), Brewer (15)
    SG - Harden (36), Beverley (6), Brewer (6)
    PG - Lawson (32), Beverley (16)

9. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Why are people posting line ups without any minutes of Thornton at the 2?

10. seeingred

seeingred Member

cause McFail ?

(i dunno).

11. thirdengine

thirdengine Member

Hard to take away minutes from Brewer, Lawson and Bev. I'd hope Thornton gets at least 12-16 minutes a game. We've got 4 guys on our roster that can create their own shot and he's one of them.

12. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

I did it because McHale has been known to go with tighter rotations. Also now with Lawson in the mix of guards, a lot of Lawson's minutes can be spent making sure the 2nd unit is always cooking on offense. So now Thornton's main purpose is sort of thwarted by Lawson, in my opinion. And Thornton would be a chucker at only 6-10 minutes a night. So all or none, and I think all of his minutes are going to go to Brewer & more court time for Lawson.

And Thornton is trying to reinvigorate his career. He looked a bit chubbed out last year. I'm not so sold that he will rip minutes away from Brewer to force a 10 man rotation.

So I see Thornton sitting a lot of games. But I hope Kerr's 10+man rotation that sort of rewrote the coaching philosophy rulebook is making our coaching staff think hard about our stacked roster...we should have a revolving door of subs...

13. OpenLayup-Why3?

OP, you have both PGs and PFs playing same minutes. This never happens. Because starters will always play more minutes than backup.

14. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Stop assuming that everyone will be healthy for all 82 games. Dwight's not playing 70 games even if he's completely healthy. Harden should also get about five games off due to the schedule.

It's time to make like Popovic and start using our depth to our advantage in the regular season. If you don't need all your horses to win the race, then why not sit a couple out here and there?

Come playoff time Marcus Thornton might get zero minutes, and ditto for Harrell. Until then, however, anyone can play 30+ minutes on a given night if the situation dictates it. That's what will put us and the Spurs on a different level with the rest of the West. Teams like LAC, MEM, and yes even GSW are praying for perfect health. Last year, Steve Kerr's prayers (to Jobu) were answered.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I see 8-man rotation with a couple of guys getting more than just garbage minutes depending on the match ups.

2 PGs
    3 Wings
    3 Big Men

Lawson and Beverley look to be the PGs for now (hey you never know with Morey).

Harden, Ariza, and Brewer are the incumbent wings. McDaniels will challenge Brewer. However, he's likely be a guy getting more than garbage, but not in rotation.

Howard, DMo, and Jones are incumbents. Capela will be backup center, but not likely get rotation minutes. Hoping Capela challenges Jones for minutes.

Thorton has his work cut out for him. He and McDaniels are both trying to steal Brewer's minutes.

Dekkar may be a guy that is ready at end of year to challenge for some time at PF...a modern day Delfino...or he could just be D League Fodder.

Harrell...good luck getting some PT other than with Vipers this year. Could be traded if Rockets still have trades in the work and Rockets don't want to use non-payer MLE.

1 person likes this.
  16. OremLK

OremLK Member

Gotta be a 10 man rotation with this crew. Unless Murray makes another trade.

17. da_juice

da_juice Member

It''s going to be so awesome for McHale to point to Curry or Westbrook or CP3 and tell Beverly "You're playing 20 minutes tonight. Make every second hell for him". And then, when they start to figure Bev out, for them to have to guard Lawson.

18. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

There is no way we are not sporting a 10-men rotation for the regular season. There are virtually no scrubs left so all those guys are deserving of pt. Besides, it would be a terrible waste of resources to go with anything less.

19. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

This is how I would do it.

Lawson 34
    Beverly 14
    Harden 34
    Ariza 34
    Brewer 18
    Thornton/KJ 10
    Dmo 28
    Jones 26
    Howard 32