1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

8 Democratic House members arrested...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by roxxfan, Oct 8, 2013.

1. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

http://news.yahoo.com/police-arrest-8-house-members-immigration-rally-230332327--politics.html

WASHINGTON (AP) — At least eight Democratic members of the House were among about 200 people arrested Tuesday after they blocked a main street near the Capitol during a massive rally seeking to push Republicans to hold a vote on a stalled immigration reform bill.

Police would not identify those arrested. Representatives of the social policy organization Center for Community Change and The Associated Press witnessed the arrests of Reps. John Lewis, D-Ga.; Luis Gutiérrez, D-Ill.; Raúl Grijalva, D-Ariz.; Keith Ellison, D-Minn.; Joseph Crowley and Charles Rangel, both D-N.Y.; Al Green, D-Texas; and Jan Schakowsky, D-Ill.,

Representatives of other groups whose members attended the rally, such as United Farm Workers and Farmworker Justice, confirmed that several of their members were arrested as well.

Those arrested will be charged with "crowding, obstructing and incommoding" under the local laws of the District of Columbia, the Capitol Police said. The arrests began about 4 p.m. EDT and had ended two hours later, police said in a statement.

Before being arrested, Gutiérrez said he planned the act of civil disobedience "so the speaker of the House can free Congress and finally pass immigration reform."

The rally took place after the six-time Grammy winners Los Tigres del Norte performed at the National Mall during a show in which the Mexican band dedicated each song to the estimated 11 million immigrants living in the United States illegally.

Prospects for passage of a comprehensive immigration bill appear dim. A bill passed by the Democratic-controlled Senate and backed by the White House includes billions of dollars for border security as well as a 13-year path to citizenship for those already in the U.S. illegally.

It's unclear whether the GOP-dominated House will ever pass legislation that could form the basis for a final deal with the Senate. Most House Republicans have rejected this comprehensive approach, and the House Judiciary Committee has moved forward with individual, single-issue immigration bills that could come to the floor sometime later this year or next.

Citing the demonstration, the White House issued a statement calling for the House to take up the immigration bill.

"The enthusiastic demonstration of support for immigration reform this week has proven to Congress that the broad coalition behind commonsense solutions to our nation's broken immigration laws is as strong as it has ever been," according to the statement from press secretary Jay Carney. "It's time for the House of Representatives to reopen the government, pay their bills and get back to the important work of moving the economy forward."

Hmm.

2. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

good way to win votes, kinda like how we post signs in mejico encouraging illegals to come and get free food stamps

http://www.judicialwatch.org/press-room/press-releases/judicial-watch-uncovers-usda-records-sponsoring-u-s-food-stamp-program-for-illegal-aliens/

best news of all, my mom was recently down in edinburgh speaking at a conference and said they have checkpoints all over and are making you show driver's license and insurance and supposedly stopping the illegals. I don't know if this is one town, but she said it was in edinburgh and mission

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Good for them! Sometimes an act of civil disobedience becomes a necessity, like during Vietnam. It can make a difference.

1 person likes this.
  4. False

False Member

This headline is a gross mischaracterization of SNAP eligiblity. Whoever writes headlines for Judicial Watch seems to be either be misinformed that illegals are getting SNAP benefits or what to imply that they are getting benefits and this some scandal due to a cabal in USDA which is working hand in hand with the Mexican Government. As Judicial Watch states in its own press release on the issue:

Illegal immigrants are not getting SNAP. Their United States Citizen children are getting SNAP. USDA is working with the Mexican Embassy to provide information to Mexican nationals specifically that their U.S. Citizen children are eligible for benefits despite the fact that their parents may or may not have papers. I had to offer this correction because of how far off Judicial Watch is veering from reality. Though, of course, this is not surprising though because Judicial Watch describes itself as:

Not only is it conservative, but it also describes itself as non-partisan. While it is conceivable that it would be both at the same time, that's just not even close to evident in its publication history or the way in which it identifies issues.

http://www.judicialwatch.org/take-2-minutes-to-help-us-focus-investigations/

Judicial Watch's use of the term non-partisan would be laughably absurd if they weren't so utterly destroying destroying our great language.

On topic, I applaud Al Green for repping Houston. I wish some other Houston area politicians had his spine. Though of course Al gets elected with 75+% of the vote so maybe it's not surprising he was out there.

5. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

that's great let's promote anchor babies. My parents maid just had a baby here last year and has 5 in guatemala. She was disappointed that she won't be a citizen till her daughter turns 18 she said. I don't know the whole process of becoming legal but she said something about her daughter turning 18.

6. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

Your parents are criminals. Reporting you.

7. Buck Turgidson

You seriously need to just take several steps back and stop talking until you are a bit more well-read. You are bringing nothing productive to the table.

8. Major

Major Member

He himself is also a criminal based on his admitting to tax fraud.

9. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

tax fraud? bc i take write-offs you don't agree with??? Lol if you arrest me you'd arrest every business owner in america. Of course you'd know nothing about running a business and working for yourself and having to cut corners where you can bc you're a bleeding heart liberal who would run a cash business and pay tax on every dollar you earned right?

10. Raven

Raven Member

The two areas where I really disagree with Democrats is on immigration and gun control, but especially immigration because it puts so much hurt on blue collar Americans. Between high immigration rates and outsourcing (the GOP loves both, which should be a huge tell to progressives), is it any wonder that the middle class is slipping down the ladder?

It's not something I really want to get into, and it won't really impact my life because I'm middle aged, but if America keeps absorbing over a million immigrants a year, both legal and undocumented, I don't see how the safety net will survive, which is exactly what the Ayn Rand cult wants, to overwhelm our resources to the point where the net is shredded and no one has any assistance at all.

11. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

You come off as a big hypocrite man. When I read your post i think of the fat rich kid from peewee herman.

12. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly. Well said. I can see Democratic supporters rallying for this kind of thing. It may help in upcoming elections.

14. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

Al Green represent

15. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

16. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

most people in prison identify as democrats so they'll be fine in the clink

17. False

False Member

I know you don't particularly want to get into it, but there is hardly ever a venue to talk about this on this forum and it is rare for me to see people who in one breath criticize Libertarian ideology and say they are against more permissive immigration. Typically that combination of points of view comes from unionized workers or other people from a background of working in high skill manual labor jobs. I agree with you, immigration does put a small hurt on blue collar Americans given our current economic system.

But the response is where I diverge from you - I do not think your conclusion follows. I do not think the answer is simply less immigration, I think it is changing the contours of society so that wealth is more greatly distributed. If simply stopping immigration, or putting a huge clamp on it, had been the answer, then we should have never allowed Germans, Polish, Irish, or later the Vietnamese, Filipino or Chinese immigrants to come to this country. They did and every time people blamed them for the countries perceived ills. Yet again and again we saw an increasingly large middle class and better results for workers across all income levels. As someone who can trace Irish and German roots among other things, I might be biased, but I believe that America became greater by allowing those immigrants.

Maybe we live in a era where that sort of win/win for middle class and lower class Americans and immigrants is no longer possible. Maybe we can't have an immigration system that properly reunifies families, allows those who want to work here to better themselves to come, protects those living here from deportation, and provides that those who are educated here in our universities can stay instead of taking their talents abroad. I presume you must think that we can never recapture a win/win scenario like we have in the past where we have a large influx of people and a country that is dynamic and provides better and better services for its citizens. If so, why? What is so different in your mind this time and why can't policy tweaks in other policy areas like taxes/education/spending correct for it?

18. Major

Major Member

No - only the ones that are committing tax fraud.

Never mind that I've owned multiple businesses and employed nearly 100 people over the course of the last decade or so. But outside of that, oh so very close. :confused:

But the latter part is true - unlike you, I don't commit fraud on my taxes.

19. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

Im applauding their failures bc healthcare is not a right!!!! It's sad that people die but it's also not fair that those who work hard have to basically subsidize them. What is the point of keeping them alive while they aren't contributing meaningful tax dollars to society. I think that's what survival of the fittest is. I think you mistake rich people as people who have no issues with health insurance. One of my parents had a serious issue and spent nearly 8 days in the ICU and got slapped with a $270,000 insurance bill that included $20k/night of ICU charges and $70 tylenol of course their 80/20 plan only covered 80% and they had to foot the ball for another $60k nearly out of their own pocket.

You know why costs are so high? 1. american innovation is expensive, that's fine but another reason medical costs are so high is because of all the poor people who we have to treat in the ER's who then skip out on a bill, so hospitals have to get it from the able-bodied. You can't have world class treatments unless someone pays for it, and for democrats apparently tax upon tax for the rich from tax on income to property tax to luxury tax on a new car, it never ends.

I pay a fortune in taxes bc all my ATM money is documented, sure I have writeoffs but what about the $16,000 in property tax I pay? What about all the little sales tax i pay on everything I buy? What about the tax i pay on daytrading, clicking a few buttons clearly involved the help of uncle obama so clearly i owe him. As someone who sees taxes coming from every corner, I think it's ridiculous that it goes to fund the uninsured who aren't contributing yet

I have a friend who lives in canada who hurt his back recently, he works in toronto, he said he spent 17 hours in the emergency before he got seen, that awesome free canadian healthcare system. Meanwhile here the last time I needed the emergency room years ago, I went right in without a wait! I want an open system where the people who can afford good doctors go to them and those who can't go somewhere else, why should I have to pay top dollar for top notch care and share it with the people who don't?

20. Major

Major Member

So in other words, you don't like the tax system, so you choose to cheat and lie and commit fraud. Justify your criminality all you want - it doesn't change the facts. You are no better than the welfare cheats and others you loathe and rant about.

1 person likes this.