1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

790am Barry wants more money? (I may have misheard?)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Blatz, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Did anyone here catch what Charlie Pallilo said about Jon Barry? This was a hour or two ago.

I didn't hear it all, I turned on the radio pretty much in mid sentence. He said something like, "Jon Barry has apparently told the Rockets that if that (1.7 mil) is what they offer then he will not accept it." Then Charlie starts talking about it. He did say the Rockets have not yet made an offer to him. I wasn't able to listen for much longer so I'm not sure what else was said.

Did I misunderstand what was said?

2. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

Well, I'd like for the Rockets to bring Barry back. He is an awsome bench guy. Barry, Mutumbo, James, Howard, and Head are an awsome bench.

I hope they can bring Barry back!!!!

3. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I think we can offer him a 2.1 mil one year deal as a non-qualifying free agent (if the new CBA is like the old one). That is all he can possibly get from the Rockets, I think he would be worth evey penny.

4. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

The Rockets are already in Luxory Tax territory for next season after signing Swift. I doubt Les can give Barry more 2 millions a year.

5. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

IMO, that's his point. Your 2.1m is 120% of his 1 year contract we received from ATL which was for 1.8m. We're talking about 300k here. And I have a hard time believing Barry hasn't done the arithmatic already.

Unless the Rockets think Dion Glover is an upgrade (questionable IMO), Barry will get his 300k and all will be well.

I beg to differ. When the numbers get really tight, Spoon (or Moochie or Baker) will get LTax waived.

6. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Hmmm kind of different then his last position of " I want to retire a Rocket" He said if the Rockets didn't give him an offer that he would retire and all. I think he will back on the Rockets Bench this year.

7. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I agree. I'd make it a two-year deal as well.

8. TheBear01

TheBear01 Contributing Member

I also hope Barry can be back, i like his passes!!

9. Desert Scar

Agreed on all points. 300K, even 900K (difference between his vet min and his max deal), is a pittance to make sure he comes back. He is too valuable.

Push come to shove, waive Spoon with the 1 time lux tax exemption to make room for JB and Deke. We still have plenty of other expiring contracts to work deals.

I live Glover, but JB is our one deadeye on the wings, Glover playing at the upper end of our expectations won't be that. At best Glover compliments our other guards and plays back-up 3, he won't replace JB's clutch shooting.

JB should really be a 1 year 2mil deal. He is getting old and we might get a new SG next year that makes his shooting redundent as well as bring other attributes. But we don't have that player yet.

Deke I think we have to sign for a 2 year deal with no player/team options as an Early Bird free agent, unless this has changed in the new CBA. Unless he will take a 1 year deal for the vet min, it a 2 year deal for him (I'd guess 2-4 mil per year).

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

He builds chemistry and boosts morale. Let alone his hustle plays and passing... I'd pay him the 2.1 million.

11. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

Last year was JB's best year since his first in DET ('01-'02). His 2nd year in DET he fell off about 30% across the board. He is at or close to 36, so you have some ?? with a two year contract. I know other teams are looking at him, and contrary to the rest of ya'll, I would be inclined to let him go. We will have a much different team next year, more athletic, and I am not sure he will be as valuable as last year. Vet minimum if we have room.

12. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Give him one year contract for the $2.1 mil or whatever else in that range. HE is a peripheral player, I don't think he is worth more given the big contracts we have on the roster.

If he doesn't oblige, I would much rather pay that $2 mil to Kukoc.

13. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

to the luxury tax person

... remember te Rockets can waive someone like Vinny or Spoon to get under the limits

14. Desert Scar

We can't. All we can sign another (non-Rocket last year) free agent is for 1.7 mil one year, or 3.5 mil for two years (LLE). Barry as a non-Q free agent we are allow to pay him 2.1 mil per year starting for 1-6 years, and Deke as an Q EBR we are allowed up to like 8+ miil year starting for 2-6 years.

So I say 1 year 2.1 mil for JB, 2 year 3 mil per year (ro raise) for Deke--fair and rewards both players and gets valuable contributers back. If we don't do this we will have to fill the roster with league min players, very unlikely they will be as steady and contributing from the bench as these two. If we need to use the lux tax waiver for one guy (Spoon/Baker), we do it.

Definetly only 1 year deal for JB however--he will take it at 2.1 mil (someone else would have to break their MLE to get more) and it protects the Rockets.

You know, think about it more, if we did sign up DStoud or another guard for the 2 year 3.5 mil LLE there may not be room for Barry after all. Unless we S&T one of Wesley, James or Sura (my favorite is DW + NY 2nd for DStoud) there just may not be a spot for Barry. We will have to wait and see.

#14 Desert Scar, Jul 20, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2005
  15. hooroo

hooroo Member

When the Rockets sign Damon, Sura is going to be Barry's replacement. Sura is major upgrade over Barry.

16. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

I don't know, we need a sharp, sharp shooter on this team, and if Barry leaves everyone else will be too inconsistent with their shooting. Barry's shooting and enthusiasm/energy was a major reason why almost every time we made a run against almost any team he was in the game. I just really like his shooting, it's crucial for our success IMO. I just hope he remains healthy though, that's why I say only 1 year deal at the $2.1 mil he is asking for (or I am assuming he's asking for).

BTW, I really doubt Deke will accept anything less than $4-$5 mil per to resign, I just think he is more than worth that much on the open market, if not more, and someone would be more than happy to pay up for him if we don't, which is more than what I can say about JB.

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

I felt the series against the Mavs was a good reflection of the Rockets season overall. Rox played some good games, a few bad games, and occasionally like game 7 the bench just didn't contribute at all when Yao & T-Mac only needed a little help with the scoring.

No one on the team brings the energy like Sura does, plus he's already contracted. Another problem might be the lack of minutes now Wesley has a backup in Head. Barry certainly wasn't happy about that in Atlanta.

18. dconover

dconover Contributing Member

They are such different types of players with different roles. There is no way that you can say one is an upgrade over the other.

19. dconover

dconover Contributing Member

I agree with your posts as usual... but to say that "shooting" can be 'redundent" is a bit off. You can never have too much shooting. I don't care if JB is 40. If he can hit an open three we need to find him 10 - 15 minutes off of the bench every night.

20. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

ya they are very different. If you could combine suras skill set with BArry's shooting and basketball IQ you'd have a perinieal all star.